Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2012, 18:51   #561
keeftheduck
Loves to post

Rover 75 SE Saloon 1.8

I guess I must be that other member so to keep you up to date, I've changed to the weaker springs and the lift is now much better and more sedate. On first opening when its been shut for a while then its as if the springs weren't on and the boot just unlocks itself, but with a lift of my little finger up it goes! Subsequently it opens itself at the same sedate rate and is much easier to close.

But that's just my car and we're still waiting the results of what Dizzy finds (he has the opposite problem) where his boot won't open fully cos he's got a spoiler so lets not jump to any conclusions just yet but it is very interesting how different members are tweaking their system in different ways. Lets hope we can collate all this eventually into a succinct 'how to' in order for others to know how what's effective and what isn't...

Always never backwards...

Keef

I'm going to keep the red one...
keeftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 21:37   #562
dissy1810
Posted a thing or two

mgzt 160 1.8 lpg

Well I got keefs old springs today I've just put them on and I'm pleased to say they work great so a big thankyou to keef here is a picture of both sets together the short ones are the old ones Attachment 15303

Last edited by dissy1810; 8th August 2013 at 18:14..
dissy1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 20:50   #563
keeftheduck
Loves to post

Rover 75 SE Saloon 1.8

No Probs...

Yes you can see the difference...just goes to show how much a spoiler weighs I suppose but springs can look different lengths side by side because of their spiral nature...and of course they all settle down to a different length when they're fitted and under load anyway...otherwise they wouldn't be springs I suppose

I noticed that getting dizzy spraying mine up whilst twiddling it on my mother's washing line last week It didn't half send my eyes funny...and they're jealous of each other as it is

...that's dizzy as in fuzzy head dizzy not dissy btw

When I get Steve's old ones I'll give them a go and see what happens...

...that's you Steve not you Steve...

Last edited by keeftheduck; 18th July 2012 at 20:53..
Old 20th July 2012, 16:23   #564
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Hi guys. Just got back from hols and I can see a few of you have been trialling different options
I did initially have a spring order made up using weaker springs. I didn't let these go out as they wouldn't reliably open the boot every time. It seems that 1 set made it out to you guys ( possibly kids muddling them up with others), so I apologise to you Dissy.
I'm glad you found a way round it using Keefs help

Just to let you all know, I still have a limited amount of these weaker springs, which I can let go out to anybody interested at £7.50 including postage. This is still less than 50% of what I paid for them.
If interested then please pm me.
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 19:36   #565
hertsrik
Avid contributor

Rover 75

Just a bit of advice with boot mods regarding MOT. Let the MOT tester know you have a boot mod. When i put my car in for MOT the bloke opened the boot with the key and it nearly took his head off.
hertsrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 07:50   #566
keeftheduck
Loves to post

Rover 75 SE Saloon 1.8

That's why I thought I'd try the weaker ones and they do suit my 75 better. Think you're right Steve, these are the weaker ones too so I'll send you the cost of the rest of the fitting kit and then I'll treat my sister's 75 with these if that's ok

...she has no idea what a spanner is but really likes the mod

Old 21st July 2012, 12:42   #567
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Sadly mine is no longer opening on it's own. Just needs a tiny lift with one finger.

It had started not opening if left for a couple of days, then it became more frequent, now not at all.

Steve mentioned the clips holding the end sockets on, I am yet to fiddle with these - both little ends half-dislocate every time. I have found contact details for the manufacturer's agent in this county, so I'll try to get new ones. Failing that, they are the same as the one's used on the bonnet, which will probably have been subjected to much less wear, so a second-hand set of those might do.

Still need to file a flat on the washers too.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 14:01   #568
stevehotshot
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE tourer

Hi Steve916, i can only open the boot via interior release or putting the key in the lock..how do you open boot with remote (handset)?
stevehotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 14:04   #569
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehotshot View Post
Hi Steve916, i can only open the boot via interior release or putting the key in the lock..how do you open boot with remote (handset)?
As you have a MK1, only by changing the BCU and having the ZCS codes changed on a T4!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 14:38   #570
Steve916
This is my second home

Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE and a Ford S-Max Titanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
As you have a MK1, only by changing the BCU and having the ZCS codes changed on a T4!
Not strictly true. If you do another mod for remote unlocking ( search for total closure mod). This mod will enable the key fob to unlock the boot. Haven't done the mod myself but apparently it isn't too big a job to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
Sadly mine is no longer opening on it's own. Just needs a tiny lift with one finger.

It had started not opening if left for a couple of days, then it became more frequent, now not at all.

Steve mentioned the clips holding the end sockets on, I am yet to fiddle with these - both little ends half-dislocate every time. I have found contact details for the manufacturer's agent in this county, so I'll try to get new ones. Failing that, they are the same as the one's used on the bonnet, which will probably have been subjected to much less wear, so a second-hand set of those might do.

Still need to file a flat on the washers too.
Colin, are you attending the Bexhill meet?
Plenums, bonnet release mod, handbrake compensator (arctic), rear parking sensors, coolant level sensor (Vindaloo), DRL's, Fan resistor upgrade ( Jules), Marmite lighting, Auto dimming rear view mirror, twin horns, fog lights, real walnut dash, walnut gear knob, Sean DD unit with DVB-T, message centre ipk, electric sun blind, auto opening boot lid, walnut steering wheel, electric seats

Link to my Auto Boot Lift Mod
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=114273

Last edited by Dragrad; 22nd November 2013 at 01:38.. Reason: consecutive posts - use the Edit ;-)
Steve916 is offline   Reply With Quote