Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th July 2019, 21:24   #21
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
A few years ago a friend and I were both out riding our bikes,( 1977 Suzuki GT750's) and I noticed a police car in my mirrors. It followed us for a mile or two, unfortunately we were heading to a rented lock up, which involved a lot of back street left, right, left, right turns. The car was still behind us. I figured, this looks really dodgy lol. Eventually when we stopped, he pulled up behind us. I just thought "here we go", but no. He just said, I have not seen one of these bikes on the he road for years, to see two together was an amazing site, I was hoping you were going to pull up so I could see them both close up!

My anal sphincter relaxed instantly lol
My anal sphincter would NEVER relax on a GT750!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2019, 21:34   #22
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Ya tart, you shoud try a 740/4
Old 20th July 2019, 22:19   #23
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Ya tart, you shoud try a 740/4
That would require nappies!
Old 21st July 2019, 16:52   #24
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Am I the only one who isnt impressed with all these tales of being followed then seemingly ONLY being "pulled" for a chat because the fuzz was a fan of the vehicle?

The Police are there to do a job, not pull over cars and bikes they like the look of to have a chat. W.t.f is going on?

Either A) They have apparently got the time to do this and abuse their position in pulling people over who have not contravened a single law, or B) They are letting lawbreakers get away with things in lieu of focusing on cars they fancy a chat with the owners about.

Either way is not something I would be happy about.

"Hi Mr T16, we just pulled you over because we like your 260/whatever, dont see many of these"

"Er OK thanks, you dont. Now ***k off and let me get on with my day please"
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2019, 20:38   #25
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Police patrol work, like many jobs, has periods of intense activity, and other times with little to do except watch and wait. I am sure if a call came in that required their attention, they would attend to it double-quick.
Old 21st July 2019, 21:08   #26
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

I do work for Police in the evenings and weekends. Last week I was in the back of an unmarked car and went to the Ayrshire coast with a couple of detectives to arrest someone and bring him to the Police Office for interview. We couldn't find him and we were heading back to Glasgow and got into social chat, what you doing this weekend kind of thing.

I said im off to the Glamis Extravaganza Show at Glamis Castle with the MG Car Club and we started talking about MG Rover. One of the detectives said there a really nice MG hes seen a few time in Glasgow. A yellow ZT! I could not believe he said that! Well sir its mine! what a coincidence that was.

Last edited by Yella Fella; 22nd July 2019 at 11:27..
Yella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2019, 21:15   #27
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
At the side of my 1973 Kawasaki H2 750 triple that I restored and upped the power to 120 RWHP the GT750 was positively tame lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:17   #28
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Am I the only one who isnt impressed with all these tales of being followed then seemingly ONLY being "pulled" for a chat because the fuzz was a fan of the vehicle?

The Police are there to do a job, not pull over cars and bikes they like the look of to have a chat. W.t.f is going on?

Either A) They have apparently got the time to do this and abuse their position in pulling people over who have not contravened a single law, or B) They are letting lawbreakers get away with things in lieu of focusing on cars they fancy a chat with the owners about.

Either way is not something I would be happy about.

"Hi Mr T16, we just pulled you over because we like your 260/whatever, dont see many of these"

"Er OK thanks, you dont. Now ***k off and let me get on with my day please"

There's a phrase about “You can’t understand someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”

I'd be the last person to want to walk a mile in a Police Officer's shoes with everything they see and the sort of people they have to deal with.

I'm very happy that they have a bit of quiet time when they can do some positive PR with general motorists knowing that if they are needed for an urgent incident they'll be instantly heading off into something almost certainly unpleasant, dangerous and potentially life threatening.

Respect to them.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:54   #29
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I agree with you totally.

My younger brother was in the police force for years, in fact he still works with then as a civilian. He is full of horror stories.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2019, 16:58   #30
Discofan
Loves to post

(Land)Rover Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
There's a phrase about “You can’t understand someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.”

I'd be the last person to want to walk a mile in a Police Officer's shoes with everything they see and the sort of people they have to deal with.

I'm very happy that they have a bit of quiet time when they can do some positive PR with general motorists knowing that if they are needed for an urgent incident they'll be instantly heading off into something almost certainly unpleasant, dangerous and potentially life threatening.

Respect to them.

Andy.
As someone who does walk in those shoes (and is a petrol head too) Ive had many pleasant conversations with motorists about their cars, either stoping them legitimately, as the Road Traffic Act / Order allows, or by speaking to them when parked. Most people are only to happy to have a chat about their cars and it really is an opportunity to show the human side of the uniform, bearing in mind most decent law abiding citizens have no need to contact the police unless they have the misfortune to be involved in an RTC or have their house burgaled so for these people a friendly chat does indeed do wonders for PR and show that police arent just out to criminalise or prosecute people.

As T16 obviously is so infuriated at the thought of such an action, go ahead, tell us to F*** off, water off a duck's back, been called far worse but an attitude like that will generate far more scrutiny of your vehicle than you might wish.
Discofan is offline   Reply With Quote