Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st July 2019, 19:05   #1
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Default Help please... I have screwed my key up completely

Being a heavy handed numpty, I was trying to change over the front section of the key fob on my wife's 75. I managed to break it completely and am left with just the metal key length that has now broken away from the little black plastic insert that it sits in, and that then 'easily' is glued into the new key fob you are replacing....

It basically needs to be given a new key fob complete and the little plastic housing fitted... probably impossible

So, I wondered if anyone on the site would be able to offer a key mending service or know where I could get it sorted

I feel such a plonker. Many thanks
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 19:14   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Just get yourself a new Valeo case & swap everything over. The blade usually can be fitted to the case as it has a little rollpin insert, or, glue it to the case.
Make sure you don't lose the transponder though
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2019, 19:54   #3
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPACA View Post
Being a heavy handed numpty, I was trying to change over the front section of the key fob on my wife's 75. I managed to break it completely and am left with just the metal key length that has now broken away from the little black plastic insert that it sits in, and that then 'easily' is glued into the new key fob you are replacing....

It basically needs to be given a new key fob complete and the little plastic housing fitted... probably impossible

So, I wondered if anyone on the site would be able to offer a key mending service or know where I could get it sorted

I feel such a plonker. Many thanks
These guys should be able to help https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replaceme....c100290.m3507 They do the fobs, with the blank key and THE LITTLE PLASTIC HOUSING. Can't say I was impressed with the actual key fob as the buttons were too hard to press (but the interior clips fitted though) so I returned the four I had bought. They also do key fob repairs but you don't want to use their buttons.

Hope this helps
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:52   #4
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
These guys should be able to help https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replaceme....c100290.m3507 They do the fobs, with the blank key and THE LITTLE PLASTIC HOUSING. Can't say I was impressed with the actual key fob as the buttons were too hard to press (but the interior clips fitted though) so I returned the four I had bought. They also do key fob repairs but you don't want to use their buttons.

Hope this helps
I too thought the buttons were too hard to press on the one I bought on Amazon, but when all is fitted back together, although there appears to be no movement on the button it works perfectly.
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 13:04   #5
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

The quality of these replacement fobs varies wildly, I know as I've fitted quite a few for local members.

These particular ones I mentioned were the "twin thumb nail" variety which I've seen before. Shame as unusually the internal clips actually worked. I've returned the hard ones and have ordered a few from another supplier who says they have the softer plastic kind.

I know that Valeo quality is a tough act to follow but there are good ones out there, but it's also a case of finding reasonable postage rates to foreign parts too.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:11   #6
EdgarDonaldBalls
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi XPower Grey

If you need a new blade too, I have heard that this is a good option. for £15 you get a new casing and new blade cut to your match your original key.
Born Friday, 9th April 2004 @ 09:54:49
This vehicle was the 14,388th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
This vehicle was the 2,491st ZT CDTi + (135) to be made out of 4,184
This vehicle was the 2,113th ZT in XPower Grey (code: LEF) to be made out of 3,143 XPower Grey ZTs
EdgarDonaldBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2019, 06:39   #7
ALPACA
Gets stuck in

MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT

Thanks for the help peeps. I went to my local Timpsons in the end as original was beyond any repair and they cut a new key and supplied a new Rover fob for thirty five squids. Fob quality is exellent, but as mentioned here, the buttons are impossible to operate

All good for now as at least I have a spare for my wife's car after completely ruining the original spare. Message to self.... do not tamper in future as you are a complete numpty
MG HS EXCLUSIVE DCT - Dynamic Red Tri-Coat with Sardana red Bader leather interior. K&N filter.Weathershields.Mudflaps.Sundshades.Slot mats.Quilted rear seat protector.Latch guards.Fabric & rubber mats.Fabric & rubber Loadliners.Full alloy spare.MG seatbelt covers.Aussie chrome tailgate strip & bumper protector.Autoglymn lifeshine.Indonesian tailgate badge.Chrome steering wheel cover.
ALPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2019, 16:36   #8
sean75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6

When I had problems with my key ( disintegrating buttons) I got a couple of blanks from the supposedly better quality and looked at getting them cut, no chance as the outlets couldn't guarantee that the metal blank wouldn't damage the cutting tool.
In the end I had my existing key refurbished by a member on here (Marinabrian) and a superb job he made of it too, far better than the quality of the replacements I had sourced.
sean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 17:19   #9
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

The likes of Timpson won't cut it unless they supply it. Best chance is an independent locksmith.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 21:25   #10
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
The likes of Timpson won't cut it unless they supply it. Best chance is an independent locksmith.
Unless you remove the transponder and say the key is for a kit car
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote