Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th August 2018, 11:00   #1
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

Default 2005 ZT CDTI replacement: any good mechanic recommendations please

Hello: i run a 2005 Mk 2 and do around 25000 miles per year. It had a new clutch and slave cylinder (decent manufacturers) fitted in February 2018 since when it has done about 13000 miles. However the clutch is again slipping and I need the car for work.

Can anyone recommend a good quality garage / individual who can do this job for me as I am a bit stuck. I have spoken to TS Autos but unfortunately he cannot do it for a few weeks. Anyone else out there - I am just south of Stoke?

For the moment the car is driveable but for how long?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Steve
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 11:21   #2
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I think Mat at DMGRS has a tame garage in Stockport that will do clutches for a reasonable price.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 13:22   #3
ratchet
Posted a thing or two

ZT-T + CTDI

Was there a warranty on the clutch you had fitted in February ?
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 18:01   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Was there a warranty on the clutch you had fitted in February ?
AS above usually with a clutch you get a warranty of 18,000 or 2years which ever comes first, well you do where I had my clutch fitted to my MGZT that was 6 years ago and it is still like the day it was fitted.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2018, 20:15   #5
yelnats
Avid contributor

MGZT-T CDTI+135 AUTO

Try Nick at Austin Garages nr Burton on Trent -Excellent can recommend without reservation.
www.austingarages.co.uk
yelnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2018, 21:28   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2750 HP View Post
Can anyone recommend a good quality garage / individual who can do this job for me as I am a bit stuck. I have spoken to TS Autos but unfortunately he cannot do it for a few weeks.
Book it in with Terry and drive one of your other cars until it is done.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2018, 10:44   #7
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

Could be slipping because the slave has failed causing contamination. If it is the warrantee will be void. I had this happen with a lot less millage 6000, but because it was over 12 months the LUK slave was out of warrantee. Worse still the master failed at 13 months old and only 3000 miles done but still out of warrantee. This sadly is common with failures happening to the hydraulic components after little use on some replacements. I was told that the slave can be replaced but although I have not got any slip it is highly likely the plates will be contaminated and we will only know when they are checked. Others said replace the clutch anyway even though its only covered a low millage, the difference in cost is low compared to the labour.

Before someone comments on fitter and supplier the fitter was Trikey and the parts were "quality" branded parts from LUK. Big Russ has several customers who have had this issue and he now says avoid manuals. He's seen too many replacement clutches fail with low millage due to this problem of hit and miss quality on the parts manufactured. His reasoning is if its original the millage done will necessitate a clutch replacement sooner than later, and this will probably not last that long. If its had a new clutch it will probably not last very long anyway so buy an auto. I asked Andy Willy if he could recommend the most reliable product to replace mine and he said in his opinion there was nothing to choose between LUK and Tazu. He said he's had Tazu, which a lot recommend, fail out of the box and said pick one its your choice.

Basically what I am saying is a replacement may not last any longer in my and others experiences. It seems to be pot luck, some last months others years. One of Big Russ's customers had three full replacements in 5 years after having hydraulic component failure on every occasion.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2018, 03:22   #8
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

Thanks for your comments. Car booked in for a replacement on Thursday.

Given the high mileage I do and need form reliability if it fails again its off to the breakers!
Old 6th September 2018, 19:14   #9
2750 HP
Loves to post

Car had replacement clutch and slave cylinder fitted today by Dave and his colleague at S&S Tyres of Southport as recommended by Mat at DMGRS. My thanks to both for the speed at which I was fitted into their schedule.

Regards
Steve