Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th July 2014, 13:57   #1
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer Club SE CDT

Default What does it do?

Hi all,

As you may be aware, I have had some issues with my car starting.
Well today it wouldn't start at all.
So I put the battery on charge.

Whilst it was charging, I decided to swap over my egr valve with one I have cleaned. That went well, my old one was very many though.

Anyway... To the point of my thread..... Whilst replacing the egr valve, I noticed this plug (see pic below)

it has 3 wires going to it. But 2 of them have snapped off and are hanging freely. It's located at the right hand side of the engine block

I re-connected the battery and started the car with no problems and ran it for 2 miles, again with no problems. But I'm wondering if anyone knows what these wires are for? Could they be the reason my battery failed in the first instance (someway related to the alternator)
Like I said the car seems to be running ok.

Also, how can I fix it! I don't have the tools to open the block to reconnect the wires? Does anyone know where I can get it fixed or get the tools to fix it myself?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (129.2 KB, 113 views)

Plenum spy hole mod, bonnet mod, handbrake mod. New Smiley plate with club website address. LED bulbs fitted throughout, inc glove box and Numberplate, Flipkey, rear parking sensors, rear offside cubby hole cover, 2x extra LED ambient lights in tourer boot, ultimate remote, walnut gear knob, Walnut steering wheel, in-line stat, illuminated sun visors, load cover with dog guard, extra aux and USB sockets in armrest.

Last edited by Dragrad; 9th July 2014 at 22:23.. Reason: Thumbnail enlarged
Mikeal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 14:28   #2
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

Damn! Thats the wiring to the fuel rail and high pressure fuel sensor. Suprised you car runs at all mate. Pm a trader and see if they have a another plug with plenty of wiring for you to replace yours. In the mean time wrap em up with tape so they are secure.
Old 9th July 2014, 14:31   #3
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi90 View Post
Damn! Thats the wiring to the fuel rail and high pressure fuel sensor. Suprised you car runs at all mate. Pm a trader and see if they have a another plug with plenty of wiring for you to replace yours. In the mean time wrap em up with tape so they are secure.

Ah, right, thanks for the reply. Am I ok running the car with it as it is? I could prob run to the scrappy and get one now, but it's a good 15 miles away?

Plenum spy hole mod, bonnet mod, handbrake mod. New Smiley plate with club website address. LED bulbs fitted throughout, inc glove box and Numberplate, Flipkey, rear parking sensors, rear offside cubby hole cover, 2x extra LED ambient lights in tourer boot, ultimate remote, walnut gear knob, Walnut steering wheel, in-line stat, illuminated sun visors, load cover with dog guard, extra aux and USB sockets in armrest.
Old 9th July 2014, 14:36   #4
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

Should be ok if wrapped up but drive steady as the car may cut out if you give it the beans
It wants doing pretty quick mate as that may cause all kinds of problems. It'll give you some thing else to do as well as changing that injector lol
Old 9th July 2014, 14:38   #5
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

In fact, the car probably runs because of it.

It looks to me as though it has been bodged at some time in the past to provide an output - probably the car has a knackered sensor - it's not that unusual
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 15:19   #6
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
In fact, the car probably runs because of it.

It looks to me as though it has been bodged at some time in the past to provide an output - probably the car has a knackered sensor - it's not that unusual
Do you mean the car runs because of the broken wires?

I've just been the scrappy and got a new one, and was just about to fit it. Is this wise?

Old 9th July 2014, 15:27   #7
tdi90
Gets stuck in

Nissan Navara

Cant hurt to replace it. If it doesnt run right then swap it back and then start fault finding to find out why the original wiring was bodged.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:29   #8
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi90 View Post
Cant hurt to replace it. If it doesnt run right then swap it back and then start fault finding to find out why the original wiring was bodged.
Ok, I'll just wait for the engine to cool down! The wires don't seem to be Bodger, just snapped!

Old 9th July 2014, 20:34   #9
Mikeal1
Posted a thing or two

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 9th July 2014, 20:39   #10
DaveyC
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeal1 View Post
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL now I'm confused.......