Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th July 2019, 07:58   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Have you achive what ypu wanted?

when I was a kid I wanted to grow up, get a motorbike, get married have children own my own home. At Work, I wanted to bet promotion to technical officer.

I have done all these things, nothing special, nothing like sailing around the world single handed or winning gold at the Olympics but nevertheless my "dream"

how about you?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 10:33   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
when I was a kid I wanted to grow up, get a motorbike, get married have children own my own home. At Work, I wanted to bet promotion to technical officer.

I have done all these things, nothing special, nothing like sailing around the world single handed or winning gold at the Olympics but nevertheless my "dream"

how about you?

macafee2
At 45 with a huge mortgage, two children, and lots of unending bills - all I wanted to do was retire ASAP and start life’s longest holiday. As I owned the business I had a vested interest in its success and worked long hours and weekends were as much to clear the desks as family.

Tough times but good times. If it had failed - we could have lost everything.

At 55 the mortgage was anything but huge, the kids were pretty much financially independent and my business was fine and rather than doing everything- I did only what I wanted to do and had a good team around me to what they were good at (and that I wasn’t )

By 65 the business was sold and I had a couple of years to go as “Consultant” to ensure smooth transition. Between us we achieved just over 98% customer retention. A testament to my choice of takeover firm - I was offered more money by others but I wanted the same customer focus that I had. The others had no idea of this basic business principle and their business model seemed to be mopping up other businesses and not caring about the most important asset! - the goodwill and the customers themselves.

Now I still do what I want - and get a pathetic enjoyment out of gardening, dog walking and having a laugh with friends.

But as I approach 67 later this year - I have to remind myself to take each day as it comes. Our next door neighbour’s brothers wife died unexpectedly yesterday.

Looking back at past success and achievements is a nice activity. But you know what? - I get more pleasure from the greeting my dogs give me when I walk in the door, the eating of fruit and veg I grew myself, than all the work I used to do.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 12:31   #3
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Never had any great ambitions, when i started work in 1960,the only ambition i had, which may sound silly was to work until i was 65,as my father had done.I failed by 2yrs.Retired at 63,got 2 children,3 g/children and i am enjoying my retirement with what i have.As previous post taking dog for walks and watching the flowers growing in my small garden.My greatest pleasure is waking up each morning,long may it continue.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 12:43   #4
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackatesme View Post
Never had any great ambitions, when i started work in 1960,the only ambition i had, which may sound silly was to work until i was 65,as my father had done.I failed by 2yrs.Retired at 63,got 2 children,3 g/children and i am enjoying my retirement with what i have.As previous post taking dog for walks and watching the flowers growing in my small garden.My greatest pleasure is waking up each morning,long may it continue.
Yes! - should have added that because the phrase “In dog years - I’m dead!” applies now - that every walk I take with them in the morning is even more valuable.

Whatever the weather - dog walking is never a chore for me - but there were times when I really had to be somewhere else sooner rather than later.

So a pleasure to be on “dog time” now - and waking up like they do with their :-

“Hey! - I made it. I can do it all over again!!” attitude.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 12:44   #5
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Raising 3 kids who have never been arrested,, been on drugs or been anti social. Reckon, when I look around these days that's plenty to be happy about! 1 daughter is a police officer, t'other a Phd researcher in Belgium and last one works at a bank (I forgive him for that!). I'll retire with a rubbish pension but no sour grapes there at all. Take each day as it comes and make them all count.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 15:43   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

I wanted to have the blonde (female!) in Abba. She doesn't know I exist!
Old 5th July 2019, 16:28   #7
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
I wanted to have the blonde (female!) in Abba. She doesn't know I exist!
So it's an ongoing ambition.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2019, 16:55   #8
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Looking back at past success and achievements is a nice activity. But you know what? - I get more pleasure from the greeting my dogs give me when I walk in the door, the eating of fruit and veg I grew myself, than all the work I used to do.[/QUOTE]

Darcydog. You have done it. Total success.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2019, 08:37   #9
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I failed. I wanted to be a police officer but my eyes were too bad at 16 nevermind now. I didn't have other ambitions as a kid. Now my ambition is simply not to drown in debt and finish Paul's car to make him proud. I'd love a newer caravan when mine gets booted eventually but that might be pushing it a bit. A house three dogs, two cars and a caravan on minimum wage is a stretch lol!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2019, 17:39   #10
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Well, I’m satisfied but not complacent or smug, despite how it might seem!

Coming from nothing of particular note and starting with no plan I’m comfortable, but think one of the few advantages of increasing age and experience is how your hindsight is useless because it’s generally too late! It enables you to recognise the opportunities that were available but you lacked the experience to take full advantage of them. So, some regret but only for sins of omission.

On the plus side I owe no money, I have not made enemies despite a big gob and have retained undeserved reasonable health in spite of doing everything in my youth that should have been at best debilitating or at worst suicidal.

One of the few things that I am chuffed about is having been able to encourage some students to start their own businesses in my craft of stained glass. I never dreamed I would go that way but glad I did. So, a later developed ambition realised and my work will remain for many years.

But, and most of all, my incredible choice of lady. I didn’t know she would actually be so daft as to marry me then, and the two gorgeous girls we had together, both thankfully, are in her image and temperament. There is a wonderful tale there, maybe for a later date. One thing I am sure of though, it ain’t over yet.