Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd June 2019, 11:49   #1
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Default Thank you's

It's that time of year again
First of all, a big thank you to Mat at DMGRS. I panicked a little when I was changing Mo's rear discs for Ferodo Coat+ ones, and noticed that the centre pin for the handbrake shoes had come out and was rattling around in the drum
I thought I'd found the reason for Mo intermittently braking. Turns out it actually wasn't that. But more of that later.
The reason for the pin coming out was because the part of the backplate that holds it in place had broken through. So instead of a vertical slot for the pin, it was more like a cross slot. (image 1)
Unfortunately this was on the run up to the bank holiday so even though I went straight to Mats site to buy a pair of new backplates, they didn't arrive until last wednesday.
That was when I discovered that the outer brake cable was stuck solid inside the tube on the back of the original backplate. In my efforts to get this free I managed to break off the tube from the back plate, but also got the inner cable stuck deep inside the outer cable
This is where Gordon (grs6680) came to the rescue. He saw my thread with a handbrake question and despite Debs giving me some sound advice on the matter, he offered me a pair of new brake cables. I'd seen the price on Rimmers and was grateful for the chance to save a bit of dosh
Unfortunaely there wasn't enough time to figure out how to get the new cable in, which I have already noticed can be a mare of a job. Expect it to take me about a week
Anyway this was last Thursday and I was booked in with Rick_Sta for new headlights the following day, which I decided to merge with picking up a rust free drivers door from MickyBoy.
So, next thanks go to Mick for the drivers door. I have already read that removing and replacing the internal gubbings of a door is another mare of a job. Expect that to take me a month or two
A door, by the way, will eventually go into a boot. And will eventually come out again, but expect a bit of struggling.
From there I went to Rick_Sta's gaff for Mo's new super duper Angel Eyes (Halo's) headlights. (images 2 and 3).
While Rick busied himself with that task I decided to put the cam poosition sensor on which Andy (Trikey) had given me at the recent pub lunch (which was an excellent meal and a great day out )
Also, while at the lunch, Dave Lincs showed up and gave me some invaluable advice about Mo's coils and sparkies.
Taking the replacement out I looked at the sensor and blow me! on the end were TWO rubber ring seals. The new ones purple, and the original sensors green one. No wonder I was still having problems with two seals on. Anyway I sorted that out and can report that with only 2 slight moments of hesitation, Mo made it back to Sheffield with no major problems. It took a while because of an accident just below junction 21 to Leicester, which had caused tailbacks all the way down to the M25 (jct 8a?)
While at Ricks he helped me out by replacing the plastic long piece of dash with a real wood piece. I still have to swap the passenger airbag cover and small vent piece (image 4).
Rick also de-lined Mo's IPK (not took a piccie yet, sorry).

All in all quite a busy couple of days.

So once again,
Thank you to Mat for the backplates (and fuel filter for Kim )
Thank you Debs for the advice,
Thank you Andy for the cam position sensor,
Thank you Dave Lincs for the sparkie advice,
Thank you Mick for the door and finally, thank you Rick for the headlights, de-lining the IPK, and assistance with the dash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg centre pin slot.jpg (117.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Mo's Angel Eyes.jpg (136.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Indicating Eyes.jpg (138.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg real wood dash.jpg (131.1 KB, 15 views)
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:34   #2
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Flippin 'eck, for got to thank MGStephen for the Harmon Karden system and loom, and the velvet door rubbers.
Thanks Stephen, good meeting you
(not attempted to fit it yet.)
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:19   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

You’re more than welcome mate, glad you got to rick’s from mine okay
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:37   #4
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Just a note to all.
If your backplates are in good nick apart from the hole wearing that secures the pins then you can revert to conventional brake shoe retaining kits and slot the pin in from the back. I cannot for the life of me remember what make and model kit it was i used as it was five yr ago (still not a problem) but i do remember the ford transit one was around 5mm to long

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote