Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th May 2019, 01:03   #31
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
It's a while since I was involved in Advanced training but the first thing we'd discuss is Information - receiving it through vision/hearing and giving it through indicators/brake lights etc. (The rest was Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration "IPSGA").

So, if there's no one around to "give" the information to then using say, an indication when there's no one there was classed as a failure to receive (and process) information correctly. i.e acting by rote rather than by the situation. This point was agreed by a Police Examiner and would lose a candidate marks on their assessment.

Conversely failing to indicate when the was someone around to see it was similarly a failure to receive (and process) information and would lose a candidate marks on their assessment.

Serious concentration and skill these Police drivers/riders .

Andy

I was at a busy cross roads that I have to cross on my way to and from work.

There was a young driver in a first car waiting for the all clear on the other side.

I wanted to go straight over so I was not indicating. Also the young driver on the other side was also not indicating.

My assumption therefore was that he also intended to go straight over as well.

I was wrong. I started to move forwards once the road was clear, and to my suprise, the young lad turned his right and went right in front of me!

We both stamped on the brakes and I let him get out of my way.

Now this may be down to inexperience , but if driving instructors are telling new drivers not to signal when leaving and entering junctions if there are no other cars about, then they aren't getting in the habit of using it when they DO need to use it.

Indecating always is a good habit to have imo. And we very well could have had an accident on that cross roads but luckily we did not.

My girlfriend is currently learning to drive and sometimes I really wonder what her instructor is teaching her.

She sits at the round about with one foot on the clutch and one on the foot brake and two hands on the wheel.

And when I tell her she should have one hand on the handbrake instead of the foot brake, she tells me that's how she's been taught.

And my honest opinion, her driving is messy when she does not use the handbrake, and risks the car rolling back as she comes off the foot brake and on to the gas.

But when she does it the way I was taught by my dad, it's almost perfect.

Go figure.

And I've also noticed an increase in awful hill starts by drivers these days with many cars rolling back before moving off. And I'm beginning to understand why. Lol

They just arent used to using the handbrake often enough!
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )

Last edited by Mgaz; 9th May 2019 at 01:08..
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 07:18   #32
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
It is quite simple, if a driveway is unoccupied, then you may park over it, but I always make a conscious effort to park considerately, so never do so.

A bit of research suggests that is correct, prior to which I thought it was obstruction just parking across a driveway - so not a problem unless you are parked blocking a vehicle in. I have a garage in my drive which I use, so they cannot tell whether they are blocking my vehicle in or not unless the door is open.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2019, 09:13   #33
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
So if I indicate and there is no-one there to see it... does it still flash?

Well it must do, if you are there to see it

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 9th May 2019, 10:44   #34
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgaz View Post
I was wrong. I started to move forwards once the road was clear, and to my suprise, the young lad turned his right and went right in front of me!

We both stamped on the brakes and I let him get out of my way.

_Snip___

She sits at the round about with one foot on the clutch and one on the foot brake and two hands on the wheel.

And when I tell her she should have one hand on the handbrake instead of the foot brake, she tells me that's how she's been taught.

I agree, it is good to have a clue which way a driver is intending to go, so you can better plan your own driving to accommodate them.

Likewise, the use of the handbrake - it is there to be used and sorts out the more professional drivers from the rest. You see them waiting at the traffic lights, either rocking on the clutch, or with the footbrake on and brake lights lit. It only needs a moments distraction, when rocking it on the clutch and they have rolled back or forth into another vehicle. Not using the handbrake, makes for a much slower getaway when the time comes, than using the handbrake fully and many of them stall trying to juggle the pedals. There is no need to even fully apply the handbrake - if it is just a matter of seconds, then I just keep it pulled up with my arm, without it clicking. I always push the button in anyway, when applying it, to avoid the wear and rasping noise.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 9th May 2019 at 10:47..
Old 9th May 2019, 11:15   #35
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
....... either rocking on the clutch, or with the footbrake on and brake lights lit.......
Can be very helpful information - for you (us). i.e. The driver in front isn't much good - Spidey Sense on alert for something a bit "odd" coming up.

With some cars, like my Passat, you don't even need to do that as there is the electronic "handbrake" that works all on it's own - once you press the relevant button at the start of a journey.

But.....rear calipers are seriously expensive if it packs up . Full price is about £350 per side + fitting & re-coding . Might be said it's gizmo's for gizmo's sake . Arctic's handbrake compensator is somewhat cheaper .

Andy

Last edited by AndyN01; 9th May 2019 at 11:18..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 06:43   #36
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
A bit of research suggests that is correct, prior to which I thought it was obstruction just parking across a driveway - so not a problem unless you are parked blocking a vehicle in. I have a garage in my drive which I use, so they cannot tell whether they are blocking my vehicle in or not unless the door is open.

Not only that but what if you return home to find your drive blocked thus impeding your abilty to park on your own property !
Old 10th May 2019, 18:30   #37
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

You have answered the question of why most newish drivers seem to have no idea why or when they should indicate, and also some supposed ‘experienced’ drivers are indicator blind. These idiots who say that if you can not see any traffic, or pedestrians, don’t indicate How stupid can that statement be? How about blind spots, or don’t they exist now?? How about the person who is as stupid as the person who proposed that statement? Tell you what. I don’t ‘see’ anything in front or behind, so I just pull out across three lanes of road to go into my drive, and crunch. Whose fault is it that the stupid driver behind me did not know where I was going and drove into the side of me? Well I did not ‘see’ him.The world had gone mad.
Old 10th May 2019, 18:45   #38
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

While we are on the subject of driving instructors. When i talk to young drivers they seem to think 30mph or 50mph is compulsory not limit.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 07:29   #39
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
....... I don’t ‘see’ anything in front or behind, so I just pull out across three lanes of road to go into my drive, and crunch. Whose fault is it that the stupid driver behind me did not know where I was going and drove into the side of me? Well I did not ‘see’ him.The world had gone mad.

Erm....

How did the driver behind get into a "blind spot" without being seen during the numerous routine mirror checks in the previous minute or so?

But even if they have managed to find a "blind spot" then.......

There are "life saver" checks before committing to any change of position.

My biking background has plenty of "Sorry Mate I didn't See You" incidents so self preservation means an awareness of what's all around. And pulling out in front of another vehicle which then hits you is very painful, possibly life changing and perhaps fatal.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 11th May 2019 at 07:43..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 09:27   #40
shasbat3
Gets stuck in

Jaguar S type.

Just indicate people, then we all know what’s going on.
shasbat3 is offline   Reply With Quote