Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th May 2019, 16:36   #11
P-Nut
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190+

Bane of my life every fudging day
Old 7th May 2019, 16:39   #12
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
Very interesting.
One of my old workmates left us to become a driving instructor. I had noticed drivers not indicating had started to become more frequent so I asked him why this was happening. He said that they now teach drivers not to indicate if there's no reason to. ie, no other traffic.
I said I thought this was wrong because it gets new drivers into the habit of NOT indicating, instead of the habit OF indicating. He wasn't impressed.
I just wonder if these instructors will now be sued by drivers who have been fined for not indicating?

The Advanced Driver take on this is that you should only indicate when it would serve someone to see the indication. They say if you always indicate it becomes a habit to signal, but it doesn't force you to make the observation to determine whether it might be necessary.

My personal take on this is that I always indicate and always make sure I observe fully - you can never be completely certain your observation might have missed someone and it takes so little effort to give a proper indication.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 17:07   #13
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

On today's busy roads, to indicate is considerate, helps traffic flow, reduces frustration, and helps prevent accidents. When was the last time you saw a bus pull out of a bus stop without indicating? As said above, indicating is purely to indicate your intentions, to help others to assess the hazard level. I learnt to drive when it was "Mirror, indicate, maneoevre." If I see a car indicate to move out, whether from a parking place on an urban street, or changing lanes on a motorway, I can make a decision to slow slightly or move over (after checking and indicating), and thereby help someone to make a safe manoeuvre. What causes more frustration, making 20 cars lose 3 seconds, or making one car wait a minute? I suspect the latter. If you think the former, time you got up earlier, or learned to relax.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 18:55   #14
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Its all very well, but you need police "on patrol" to actually enforce it.

Or will this be another case of big brother cameras are watching - that should be a nice easy way to extract money from motorists, but will do nothing to ride us of all the unregistered vehicles and track bikes that are currently being used illegally used on our roads.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 19:28   #15
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

As a driving instructor for 20 years, now early retired.

We followed the highway code. Indicate if it will help or warn other road uses. Nobody there, don't need to signal.

I personally used to say to my pupils. If moving off from the side of the road, a signal wouldn't be needed. However , watch for pedestrians in front who may want to cross the road. However, if you were trying to join a slow moving que of traffic, a signal will let them know you are wanting to join the que. Someone may let you move out in front of them.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 19:49   #16
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Shroedinger's cat anyone?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2019, 22:15   #17
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
ok sorry I thought "you" indicated. why sit there waiting and waiting for traffic to pull past? Indicate to pull out and no doubt someone will let "you" out. Indicating only "states your intention"

macafee2
It was explained to me that it interrupts traffic flow.
The traffic already on the road has right of way etc.
And yes, of course we normally let traffic join in, whether from the kerb or a side street. I didn't make the rule, I was just taught it.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 05:33   #18
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

In those circumstances, without signalling your intention, you could be sat waiting for ages because nobody would realise you wanted to join the que.

Slightly off topic, there is another one I personally come across quite a lot.

I retired early, but I do help out at a friend's pizza shop by doing deliveries a few evenings a week. I often park across people's driveways, knowing that I won't be there for longer than a few minutes. The grief and abuse I receive sometimes is unbelievable. People complain that have no intention of actually going in or out of their drive.

I have to point out the rules from the highway code. If you follow it to the letter, basically it says avoid blocking driveways. But it does not say "you must not". So it's not actually law. People's property boundaries are their gate, they do not own the road, or have any more rights to it than me.

Now there's a debate for you lol

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 07:23   #19
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Andy, "you" assume there is no one to receive because "you" have not seen the person. It will take longer to study the area to make sure there is no one around. How far away does someone have to be to be classed as not around?

Advanced drivers are taught to read the road ahead. There is a car on the left side of the road, facing same direction as your travel some distance ahead with no lights on, you cant see any movement, you cant see any exhaust "smoke". You make a judgement.

Consider the judgement.

Now consider the judgement if you can see their right indicator flashing.

Is it exactly the same judgement?

I'm sure there will be two opinions on the subject, those in favour of always indicating which I am one and those that believe no point if no one around.

we will agree to differ, with me of course being right

macafee2

That's the whole point.

Advanced drivers/riders take information from as far away as possible in all directions.

Information covers everything that can be seen/heard and must then be processed into degrees of "what might reasonably happen" next.

In your first scenario it's reasonable to make a judgement that the car is parked.

So you're looking behind (hazard = mirror check - you might need an escape route) looking past it and planning your path around it.

Information - Parked car - probably. Anything behind you? What's on/in the road ahead - vehicles/junctions/school entrance etc. Anyone who you can give information to - Another road user? Indication?

Position - adjust to pass the car - giving as much space as possible just in case there's say, someone in the car you can't see who opens a door. Maybe there's an engine problem (which is why there's nothing from the exhaust) and the bonnet release is on the passenger's side so the driver is "lying" across the front seats to reach it and will almost certainly not do a mirror check before throwing their door open to get out to have a look.

Speed - depends upon oncoming traffic/space (brakes are for slowing, gears are for going).

Gear - depends upon any speed change.

Acceleration - if needed (arrive with grace, leave with pace) depends upon the......current/new Information.

Information changes split second by split second and the process is adjusted to suit.

Your second scenario is much more complex.

Think of the possibilities:

Indicating and just pulling off regardless (someone of the mindset that indicating gives them the right to just do it)?
Indicating and doing a U turn?
Indicating and have seen you and are waiting for you to pass?
And possibly several more.

How do you control your vehicle? Particularly considering an escape route, road position and speed????

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 8th May 2019 at 14:48.. Reason: Clarity
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2019, 07:47   #20
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I was told when I did my PCV course, if there’s someone to tell, tell them, even if it’s a cyclist, pedestrian or a cat!