Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th April 2019, 15:23   #1
Drummer Boy
Regular poster

ZT-T

Default Not the usual handbrake issue

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone has encountered this:

My handbrake has about 5mm of side to side play when fully released, and the handbrake warning light is coming on while driving. I know it's the lateral movement causing the issue because if I push the handbrake away from me (toward the passenger seat) I can get the light to extinguish.

I've removed the gaiter and the insert of the central console storage box so I can look straight down at the handbrake mech, and it seems the small amount of movement is enough that in one position the handbrake doesn't completely close the switch to extinguish the dash warning light.

From what I can see, and having searched for handbrake threads on the forum, the lever isn't intended to be serviced but can be. However, before I prise it apart, is it common to have this much movement in the lever? Also, is the end that pushes on the switch usually flared slightly outward, or has mine sustained damage?

Perhaps my switch needs replacing and should have a little more tolerance? Seems unlikely though; I would've thought it would be preferable for it to be precise.

The temptation is to remove the switch and glue a thin strip of something, maybe plastic, on the lever so it always pushes the switch fully home. The handbrake operates properly in all other respects so is it unnecessary to replace it simply because of the warning light? I do have an MOT coming up soon though, and I'm sure the new spec fails cars on warning lights.

Any opinions welcome, and I'd love to know if anyone has experienced similar; I've seen the threads on rattling buttons and broken springs but I am wondering if I've found a unique issue that isn't a common 75 fault!
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2019, 19:41   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I have not come across a handbrake as you describe, if I were in your position I would fit a replacement one, it would be far easier.
Old 28th April 2019, 13:58   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I agree with Andy, never seen this issue and I’ve had a fair few lol, fit another handbrake mate, if you need one just give us a shout
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 19:48   #4
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

When the tensioner nut on one of mine was overtightened and couldn't be removed, I had to take the handbrake off the car and into the kitchen in order to use a pair of wire cutters to remove the short cable and the nut. There are 3 bolts, similar to the seat rail torx bolts, holding the handbrake in place. It might be that one or more of those has somehow come loose.
I admit this is most unlikely as the bolts themselves are very tight in their sockets.
There are 2 bolts on top, and one down the side. Lifting the centre consol gives access to them all, although I think that 1 on top can be checked from the handbrake well.
Piccie attatched.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-05-12 13.53.04.jpg (128.4 KB, 13 views)
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s

Last edited by madeupname; 28th April 2019 at 20:07..
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote