Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th April 2019, 08:25   #21
Terryf
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon BRG

Got done by copper with hand gadget, hidden in a bus shelter, was doing 40 in a 30 zone. While he was dealing with me another car doing about 70 went passed. "Damn said the copper, that's the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- I wanted". Didn't let me off though.
Terry
Terryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 08:53   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
Yes but 92% is somewhat considerably more and road improvement schemes (taxpayer funded) aren't implemented until there are several accidents and at least one fatality. The police collect the fines from speeding offences and use them as revenue supplement for their own operating costs.

It suggests to me that road safety, per se, isn't taken sufficiently seriously in the UK as it costs money. Speeding fines are a convenient stream of revenue.
IMO, this is all just a case of trying to justify ones own failure to abide by the law/regulations. Something that a very significant majority of the population do.

Would you be happy if your son or daughter was one of the 8%? Unless the answer is an unequivocal YES, you should not have difficulty understanding the justification for the awareness course.

As for taking road safety seriously, the best people to do that are the road users i.e. us here!
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 09:03   #23
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
IMO, this is all just a case of trying to justify ones own failure to abide by the law/regulations. Something that a very significant majority of the population do.

Would you be happy if your son or daughter was one of the 8%? Unless the answer is an unequivocal YES, you should not have difficulty understanding the justification for the awareness course.

As for taking road safety seriously, the best people to do that are the road users i.e. us here!
Not trying to justify anything. Just pointing out the facts.

Are there any facts I have stated you wish to dispute?
Old 28th April 2019, 09:14   #24
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I did a speed awareness course several years ago and one of the people on it was a University lecturer and was obviously very intelligent.

After a few mins she started on the fact of very few accidents are caused by speed and produced huge amounts of paperwork on the subject that she handed out, the people taking the course told her '' this was not the place for this and either be quite or go and you will get the points'' She was silent for a short while and then started again picking up every error in her view on the course. She seemed to know what she was talking about.

After several more ''this is not the place'' comments from the people taking the course she was asked to go out side with him and she never came back.

You do have to wonder why these people even go on the course.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 10:07   #25
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

You do have to wonder why these people even go on the course.
Some people just can't help themselves, they think everyone wants to listen to them.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 10:08   #26
madeupname
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie Mk2 1.8 (Mo)

I went on a speed awareness course last year. I was driving safely at 34mph with very little traffic around, on what I thought was a 40mph dual carriageway. Nope, it was a 30mph section

I thought the course was very good. I learned quite a bit from it.
Mo was born Tuesday, 22nd June 2004 @ 08:32:41
This vehicle was the 99,307th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 5,377th 75 1.8 Connoisseur to be made out of 6,033
This vehicle was the 783rd 75 in Firefrost Red (code: CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75s
madeupname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 11:28   #27
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Just checked Willy and imagine my surprise when I looked closely at the big cream dial on the right of the dashboard....wow....

Next thing you know BMW will be fitting indicators as standard equipment....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (15.4 KB, 25 views)
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2019, 12:58   #28
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Not trying to justify anything. Just pointing out the facts.

Are there any facts I have stated you wish to dispute?

Yes.

Quote:
............. The police collect the fines from speeding offences and use them as revenue supplement for their own operating costs.

It suggests to me that road safety, per se, isn't taken sufficiently seriously in the UK as it costs money. Speeding fines are a convenient stream of revenue.

The fines do not go to the police. They go to a central government fund. A police force has nothing to gain directly from the volume of fines or prosecutions for speeding.

Ref, you initial post..........

Quote:
When I attended a speed awareness course many years ago, I asked the lecturer why they were so focused on speed-related infringements when something like 92% of accidents didn't involve excess speed.

After some spluttering and confected indignation at my question, he didn't really have an answer...
The person delivering the course will have been a professional trainer employed/contracted to deliver the content of the course you chose to go on.

If you wanted to debate the rights and wrongs of speeding laws and penalties, it would have been better to take the option to go to court and do so with a judge.
Old 28th April 2019, 13:01   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeupname View Post
I went on a speed awareness course last year. I was driving safely at 34mph with very little traffic around, on what I thought was a 40mph dual carriageway. Nope, it was a 30mph section

I thought the course was very good. I learned quite a bit from it.

Well done for taking the consequences of your actions like a man and using it as an opportunity to better inform yourself.
Old 28th April 2019, 14:27   #30
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Yes.

The fines do not go to the police. They go to a central government fund. A police force has nothing to gain directly from the volume of fines or prosecutions for speeding.

The person delivering the course will have been a professional trainer employed/contracted to deliver the content of the course you chose to go on.

If you wanted to debate the rights and wrongs of speeding laws and penalties, it would have been better to take the option to go to court and do so with a judge.
Cobblers; I am talking about fines from police speed awareness courses (which is the subject here), not fines for people who choose not to attend or are not given the opportunity to attend.

Ref, you initial post..........

No, I was debating this with a professional trainer who couldn't deliver a counter argument. What is going to a court judge to do with the price of mature cheddar?