Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd April 2019, 09:30   #1
Wilts75
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

Default LED lamps

Does anybody know of a supplier of CANBUS LED flasher bulbs that wont show an error on my 2004 Tourer?
Tried one that said wouldn't error but surprise/surprise it did! Even more grumpy now!
Wilts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 09:51   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Default L.e.d.s

I get all mine from CREE, they are quality and canbus friendly, can be sourced on EBay or direct from Cree. Mine were fitted over 3 years ago and are all still fine. Lee.
Old 3rd April 2019, 18:30   #3
grs6680
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190

do you have any links lee.
grs6680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 16:06   #4
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs6680 View Post
do you have any links lee.
Not after 3 years mate no . If you search EBay using keywords 12v, led, Cree and whatever type/colour bulb your after, then a multitude of choices will pop up.
Lee.
Old 4th April 2019, 17:02   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I suspect using LEDs for indicators is more complicated than expected. I don't think it's the same as swapping a side light filament bulb for a CAN-bus LED. Indicators are typically controlled by the power demand of the bulb, which fixes the flashing rate. Even with an electronic flasher module, I think the same holds true. This is where the high power ballast resistors come in. They're needed to provide the correct wattage in the indicator circuit the get the flasher to operate correctly. I never managed it without adding large ballasts as well as the LEDs. Seems rather counter-productive somehow.

Ballast resistors: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...stors&_sacat=0

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 4th April 2019 at 17:05..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 17:57   #6
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I suspect using LEDs for indicators is more complicated than expected. I don't think it's the same as swapping a side light filament bulb for a CAN-bus LED. Indicators are typically controlled by the power demand of the bulb, which fixes the flashing rate. Even with an electronic flasher module, I think the same holds true. This is where the high power ballast resistors come in. They're needed to provide the correct wattage in the indicator circuit the get the flasher to operate correctly. I never managed it without adding large ballasts as well as the LEDs. Seems rather counter-productive somehow.

Ballast resistors: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...stors&_sacat=0

TC
This is true. I had to use inline resistors for the indicators to appease the canbus. They are simple to fit and cheap. I got mine with the bulbs and they have given no problems. All my other led's have built in resistors and are also fine. Lee.
Old 5th April 2019, 14:17   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
All my other led's have built in resistors and are also fine. Lee.

Yes, the CANbus friendly type LEDs are fine for all the normal bulb places, but a CANbus LED on its own won't work as indicators for the reason mentioned. The indicator circuit is unique in this regard. The ballast resistors needed here aren't for fixing the CANbus, they're a 10-20watt heavy duty type that consume the same power as the 21watt indicator bulbs. As a power saver, they're no different from standard bulbs, though I suppose they'll last longer if the resistors don't burn out

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 15:54   #8
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Yes, the CANbus friendly type LEDs are fine for all the normal bulb places, but a CANbus LED on its own won't work as indicators for the reason mentioned. The indicator circuit is unique in this regard. The ballast resistors needed here aren't for fixing the CANbus, they're a 10-20watt heavy duty type that consume the same power as the 21watt indicator bulbs. As a power saver, they're no different from standard bulbs, though I suppose they'll last longer if the resistors don't burn out

TC
Amber led,s look so much better than standard bulbs and they don't peel either. I've had standards last around 5 yrs so time will tell if the led's last longer.
Lee.
Old 5th April 2019, 16:22   #9
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

The danger of can bus leds as indicators is the led can fail. But the can bus resistance stays in place. So you can have non functioning indicator lamps and no warning at all.. for this reason alone I all ways stick to incandescent bulbs for direction lamps...
Old 5th April 2019, 16:55   #10
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
The danger of can bus leds as indicators is the led can fail. But the can bus resistance stays in place. So you can have non functioning indicator lamps and no warning at all.. for this reason alone I all ways stick to incandescent bulbs for direction lamps...
I had that with an LED sidelight, no warning that it had failed, just noticed when I went to put the car in the garage one evening.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote