Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th June 2013, 12:07   #381
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

I know we've all been looking and sorting this lil fella out for some while now?

But isn't it a truely awful overcomplicated design ? .

I've never understood what the vertical pivot actually does .. its just not needed ?.

A long while back in my distance early kart racing life, We originally had cable drum brakes .. which were 2 front and 1 rear live axle brakes, and this had a cable compensator . ( a 2 into 1 into 2 jobbie) .
And this was miles simpler, and was expected to stop one plunging into things at approaching 100 mph ...

But came the Airheart hydraulic disc setup and we all started stopping . ..

just my 2 cents

Chris.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

Last edited by ceedy; 4th June 2013 at 12:10..
ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:39   #382
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post
I know we've all been looking and sorting this lil fella out for some while now?

But isn't it a truely awful overcomplicated design ? .

I've never understood what the vertical pivot actually does .. its just not needed ?.
No more complicated than most and a lot less complex than some, but given that the compensator was an inadequate design and once fixed, it works very well indeed.

Which vertical pivot are you concerned about? If you mean the one on the compensator, it is simply a means of joining the parts together.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 16:09   #383
David5000
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Cdti Conni & MG6 TSE

Just had car serviced and mot.
It's always a mystery why the handbrake isn't adjusted.

Is five clicks too many.

I tow a 4 berth caravan
David5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 12:08   #384
howardf
Regular poster

ROVER 75 SALOON

A big thanks to Arctic (Steve), who supplied me a modified handbrake compensator.

Fitted it this morning following the how to....steady away took an hour all in.
Perfect 3 click handbrake.
The old unit was very stretched.
Thanks again. H
howardf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 17:58   #385
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David5000 View Post
Just had car serviced and mot.
It's always a mystery why the handbrake isn't adjusted.

Is five clicks too many.

I tow a 4 berth caravan
Sorry for the 14 month delay, but I have just spotted this

Five clicks is too many, but the likely result of doing the adjustment by the book. with it properly adjusted, it should begin to act on one click, work enough on most slopes on two and three will hold it on any hill. Four should be almost unattainable.

The more clicks there are, the harder it becomes for the driver to achieve adequate arm leverage to apply the brake firmly. Its not the brake which becomes less effective, just the lack of leverage. 3 clicks makes it much easier on the driver. I wrote a lengthy 'How To' for correctly setting up the handbrake system, once the stretchy compensator has been replaced.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 5th September 2016, 17:11   #386
daemon

MG ZT

Help!

I've - with rose tinted glasses - bought an MG ZT in need of MOT and its failed twice now on the handbrake!!!

I've emailed those on the forum who have in the past made these and i'm really stuck - i cant get the car MOT'd with no handbrake!

Heres original link to me and the car over on pistonheads

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+V6&mid=101804

Am happy to get the compensator removed and posted over first if thats a show stopper!

HHHEEELLLPPP!
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 17:50   #387
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemon View Post
Help!

I've - with rose tinted glasses - bought an MG ZT in need of MOT and its failed twice now on the handbrake!!!
Having read your posts on the other forum....

A poor handbrake on the MG/75 is a very common problem, such that MOT examiners make some allowance for it..

Only rarely have there been problems with seized cables, usually it is the compensator stretched + poor adjustment + a coat of rust from lack of use in the drum. Some have reported the shoe's friction material have broken up.

If it sort of works, but the lever comes up a long way, almost certainly it will be the compensator which has stretched. I have gone into great detail how to get the handbrake back to great performance in my 'How To'. A couple of hours of effort normally achieves this.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 5th September 2016 at 17:54..
Old 5th September 2016, 19:45   #388
daemon

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Having read your posts on the other forum....

A poor handbrake on the MG/75 is a very common problem, such that MOT examiners make some allowance for it..

Only rarely have there been problems with seized cables, usually it is the compensator stretched + poor adjustment + a coat of rust from lack of use in the drum. Some have reported the shoe's friction material have broken up.

If it sort of works, but the lever comes up a long way, almost certainly it will be the compensator which has stretched. I have gone into great detail how to get the handbrake back to great performance in my 'How To'. A couple of hours of effort normally achieves this.
Thanks, yes, based on a reply on there and what i've been reading on here, it appears i need a "new" modified compensator.

Got your PM there. Cheers. I will follow up.

Last edited by daemon; 5th September 2016 at 19:59..
daemon is offline   Reply With Quote