Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th June 2007, 17:02   #11
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Off topic but I was watching how its made yesterday lunch time in between ripping the Stagosaurus apart and they were showing how Gobstoppers were made.
Each batch is polished by adding an amount of carnauba wax which I found amazing as I thought the stuff cost a fortune!
Best quality Pure Carnauba Flakes cost around £20 per kilo & in the most expensive Polishes Carnauba represents around 40% of the mix. When you consider the price of some of the hyped products you would think it was a fortune.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007, 17:51   #12
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave***t View Post
Same here - using EGP over the weekend left some streaking visible from certain angles that just wouldn't buff out Probably my fault for some reason of course, but I'll be trying out the blue stuff next time around.

If you've used EGP on top of Natty's then thats why it has streaked. They do not mix or bond properly!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 07:58   #13
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Nah, no EGP on top of any wax, just straight on after polishing a few weeks ago, then topped up this weekend. Not to worry, it's just a useful excuse to buy and try out some new toys
Old 5th June 2007, 10:37   #14
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Nah, no EGP on top of any wax, just straight on after polishing a few weeks ago, then topped up this weekend. Not to worry, it's just a useful excuse to buy and try out some new toys
EGP on top of what polish though? From what I've gleaned EGP does not 'play' well with others, and should only be used on top of AG Polish!

What toys are you considering? I'm a nosey NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- at times!
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 13:09   #15
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Lol no worries The polish I used was Autoglym SRP, the only thing I can think of that would have affected it is that some of the car was in direct sunlight while I was working on it. But the streaks aren't really noticeable unless you get right over the paint and look closely so I'm not worried.

Toys? Nothing major, I still haven't quite been able to convince myself to justify buying a porter cable yet! Was thinking of getting some of the P21S total auto wash to strip everything off, then a basic buffing machine just to make using some carlack 68 and/or some natty's blue wax a bit easier (fed up of aching arms!). And also maybe one of those hoselock wash solution wotsits from cleanyourcar to do away with the second wash bucket. Pointless toys
Old 5th June 2007, 14:00   #16
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

do you know what you may have just answered a niggling doubt i have had in the back of my head - what colour is your car?

I have had exactly the same results on a similar colour ZTT - the bonnet looked streaky after applying.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 14:42   #17
Dave***t
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ 180 SE

Oh right, thought it was just me being NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- lol.

The car's anthracite. The streaks are as I say minor, but if you catch them in the right light they look as if you haven't buffed the EGP off quite enough. Yet try as I might, I can't shift them. And it's mostly on the bonnet.

Sound similar?
Old 9th June 2007, 12:11   #18
Ti Rich
Gets stuck in

Audi A6 TDi 175

I have a problem with the auto glym polish i am using (one with the gold label). After a few days the polish "leaches out" of the paintwork and patches of un buffed off white polish appear - even though they were not there two days earlier.

Has anyone else got this problem?
ZT CDTi, gone but not forgotten!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 12:55   #19
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

Quote:
Oh right, thought it was just me being NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- lol.

The car's anthracite. The streaks are as I say minor, but if you catch them in the right light they look as if you haven't buffed the EGP off quite enough. Yet try as I might, I can't shift them. And it's mostly on the bonnet.

Sound similar?
dang nabbit very similar! And Anthracite too! I thought it was the car paintwork!

I wonder whats going on there.... I wonder how the bonnets were sprayed... hmmm.....

This is Anthracite isn't it?

Ti Rich - Try using some quick detailing spray when removing the polish - work it until it has gone hazy/white and you can remove it by rubbing your finger over it and it not streaking.
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 13:51   #20
Ti Rich
Gets stuck in

Audi A6 TDi 175

Thanks Emps - I still haven't found the time to pop over to see if you can do those scratches of mine!
ZT CDTi, gone but not forgotten!
Ti Rich is offline   Reply With Quote