Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th December 2016, 18:01   #1
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Default Booking a holiday in Sorrento??

Never done this before and I don't have a clue. We will be using a travel agent so that should help. I was just wondering if you had any tips for Sorrento?
We are going for the history, food and the sun.

Ideally, we would like a nice hotel in the old part of town, cobbled streets, good restaurants, good connections to Amalfi coast and Pompeii (because Pompeii is what we are going for really.

Any recommendations or ideas??
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2016, 18:37   #2
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Never done this before and I don't have a clue. We will be using a travel agent so that should help. I was just wondering if you had any tips for Sorrento?
We are going for the history, food and the sun.

Ideally, we would like a nice hotel in the old part of town, cobbled streets, good restaurants, good connections to Amalfi coast and Pompeii (because Pompeii is what we are going for really.

Any recommendations or ideas??

It's a really lovely holiday in Sorrento. We stayed in a 3 star hotel , The Santa Maria, basic, but clean on room only basis. We booked days at Vesuvius, taking in Naples, then a day at Pompeii. It can get very hot in summertime, with Pompeii of which most has not yet been uncovered, an interesting but tiring experience, hydration is a must. Boats to Capri and Positano go from the bottom of the deep gorge from town, options, fast or slow boats...the slow stopping for those who fancy a swim for a few minutes.
The Santa Maria was in the old quarter, a ten minute stroll to the town square.
I would go to Sorrento anytime. ����

Last edited by BoroRover; 5th December 2016 at 18:40..
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2016, 15:41   #3
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
It's a really lovely holiday in Sorrento. We stayed in a 3 star hotel , The Santa Maria, basic, but clean on room only basis. We booked days at Vesuvius, taking in Naples, then a day at Pompeii. It can get very hot in summertime, with Pompeii of which most has not yet been uncovered, an interesting but tiring experience, hydration is a must. Boats to Capri and Positano go from the bottom of the deep gorge from town, options, fast or slow boats...the slow stopping for those who fancy a swim for a few minutes.
The Santa Maria was in the old quarter, a ten minute stroll to the town square.
I would go to Sorrento anytime. ����
Cheers mate. I couldn't find the Santa Maria. I did find the Villa Maria though. The more I look into this the more complicated it becomes. Tell me, would you book a hotel in the city centre for old streets, bars and restaurants? And would you book your excursion before you go or when you get there?
Old 6th December 2016, 17:31   #4
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Cheers mate. I couldn't find the Santa Maria. I did find the Villa Maria though. The more I look into this the more complicated it becomes. Tell me, would you book a hotel in the city centre for old streets, bars and restaurants? And would you book your excursion before you go or when you get there?
Definitely in the city centre for the old streets, bars etc. The hotel we were at was in that area.we used to like the stroll amongst the trees on our way to the town square. We found it safe too at night...can't guarantee that today..only because we haven't been for years. There is a chance the Villa Maria might be the old Santa Maria, just a chance though.

We found booking excursions cheaper to book in Sorrento..plenty of choice of operators. As far as the boats are concerned, we bought our tickets on the quayside , a bit like "all aboard the Jolly Roger" scenario, the sailings are well advertised. It's a day trip to Positano or Capri. Hope that helps !!

If you are planning a trip to Vesuvious...take plenty of wasp repellant. The is a cafe at the summit of the volcano, the place is a plague of wasps during spring/summer...damn things .

Last edited by BoroRover; 6th December 2016 at 17:42..
Old 6th December 2016, 18:15   #5
jonathan63
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
Definitely in the city centre for the old streets, bars etc. The hotel we were at was in that area.we used to like the stroll amongst the trees on our way to the town square. We found it safe too at night...can't guarantee that today..only because we haven't been for years. There is a chance the Villa Maria might be the old Santa Maria, just a chance though.

We found booking excursions cheaper to book in Sorrento..plenty of choice of operators. As far as the boats are concerned, we bought our tickets on the quayside , a bit like "all aboard the Jolly Roger" scenario, the sailings are well advertised. It's a day trip to Positano or Capri. Hope that helps !!

If you are planning a trip to Vesuvious...take plenty of wasp repellant. The is a cafe at the summit of the volcano, the place is a plague of wasps during spring/summer...damn things .
Ah, cheers mate really helpful. Far better to hear from visitor than read stuff on the net. Dont think we'll be doing Vesuvius, too much of a climb, but we'll probably do Pompeii twice. We love the history. Don't suppose you know who the Italian are with vegetarians do you. Is it going to be a bit like Britain in the 70s and 80s, cheese salad or an omelette? we eat Italian at home about 5 nights a week. Im hoping the Italians are used to us.
Old 6th December 2016, 19:59   #6
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Ah, cheers mate really helpful. Far better to hear from visitor than read stuff on the net. Dont think we'll be doing Vesuvius, too much of a climb, but we'll probably do Pompeii twice. We love the history. Don't suppose you know who the Italian are with vegetarians do you. Is it going to be a bit like Britain in the 70s and 80s, cheese salad or an omelette? we eat Italian at home about 5 nights a week. Im hoping the Italians are used to us.
Ah, now that's one thing I don't know. Not being vegetarian myself, but I can imagine Italian cuisine offering an imaginative selection. Bon appetite !!