Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th July 2008, 19:36   #1
Depecherob

MG ZT CDTi 135+ Facelift Commission number 23816

Default 20 minutes of motoring joy...

I bought my ZT CDTi 135 facelift about a month ago. I had never owned a diesel before so didnt know what to expect as far as performance was concerned. It didnt feel very quick and (as posted elsewhere) had little acceleration low down. You guys suggested cleaning the MAF, which sounds like a good idea but, as I am not a mechanic, I was a bit wary of what needed to be disconnected / removed so I left it alone. The car was fine going to and from work and I altered my driving style to compensate for any sluggishness.
Today I just had a day trip to Bridlington (very nice, actually). I went along the M62 and off near Goole to Driffield where I encountered some queues. I stopped the car (left the engine running) to consult my map to find a way across country on the lanes. Finding my way I set off... it was like someone had flicked a switch! I had a turbo! I could go up hills! I overtook some cars! Amazing! I was grinning, everything was great. I arrived at Brid parked up for a few hours had a wander about, anticipating the drive home. Alas, the car was back to "normal" again, no turbo no uphill pull without changing to 3rd/2nd Don't think about overtaking . Was it all a dream?

Right, what do I need to do? Should I go for the Roverron pierburgh and mafam. Can a mechanical incompetant like me fit one? Is the facelift MG engine bay different to the pre facelift one? How does that clip come off the top of the MAF?
Here is a pic of the MAF area, it doesnt look to me as if, when the engine cover is removed, one could get access to the top of the sensor to remove it. Can you enlighten me?

Give me back my Turbo, please...

Last edited by Depecherob; 16th July 2008 at 19:57.. Reason: added pic
Depecherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2008, 20:23   #2
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

Would definately get a Synergy2 from Ron, personally I would hang back on the Pierburg maf until you've fitted the Synergy as the mafam will compensate for any deterioration in the maf unless it's totally goosed. Then if it is then go for the Pierburg.

As you are local if you want to see how the Synergy improves things or if you need any assistance let me know.

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 08:27   #3
Depecherob

Thanks for that. Does that Synergy mod need to be declared for insurance. Could a novice fit one?
Old 17th July 2008, 08:40   #4
ikorodu
Loves to post

Rover 75 Facelift Conn SE Tourer CDTi Manual

I have told my insurance company and would advise others to do the same.

Fitting is very, very easy. If memory serves there are two engine covers that need to be removed to access the MAF, but the detailed instructions that ron provides made the whole thing easy enough. Took me around 45 mins, including a couple of trips to and from the shed to get the right tools.

Rob
ikorodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 11:42   #5
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depecherob View Post
Thanks for that. Does that Synergy mod need to be declared for insurance. Could a novice fit one?
Rob, In answer to your questions:

Yes, and yes!

You should always inform your insurance company of this sort of 'upgrade' as you run the risk of invalidating your insurance if you don't! You don't want to be doing that!!

The second question is a yes, as I proved to myself. I took ages (about 1.5 hours) putting mine on but that's only because I get very nervous taking the car apart, wondering if I'll ever get it back together and working again! The instructions are quite clear and there's more advice on the Forums (if you search in the right places) from other members who've been there and done it themselves.

From what you've said, your car does sound like it has a MAF problem - no low-end power. Contact Big Ron and sort yourself out. It's the best way to get the best out of your car!

Hope that's useful,

Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 11:51   #6
Depecherob

Marvellous. First job then is to locate a 9mm socket (for the cover). Or perhaps just to go to the Ron site and place the order now... hmm.
What do you declare the upgrade as? If you just say it has had a Synergy mod will they know what that is? Do you think it costs extra on the premium?

Sorry I know (and have read) lots of MAF threads on here but its nice to get a confirmation of your own personal issue instead of just assuming thats what it is. Thanks again.
Rob
Old 17th July 2008, 12:33   #7
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

What puzzles me is the idea that what you have seems to be an intermittent problem - you had 20 minutes of decent acceleration and then it went back to sluggishness. I may be wrong but I would not have thought a MAF sensor failure would cause this - it would be more consistent. Certainly a Synergy would give you more power and would compensate for an out-of-spec MAF sensor, but I think you might have some other issue there.
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2008, 13:11   #8
Depecherob

I see what you mean, it was my first tank of Shell (as opposed to supermarket stuff). Also it was my first run along the motorway at 70ish mph so I assumed it was responding to that initially. Is it likely?

The wires seem to attached (if that makes any difference). I havent witnessed any other surging only the sluggishness (which I just thought was diesel engine performance, as a former Bus Driver its what I expected )

It went back to sluggishness after it had been parked for 4-5 hours though.
Old 18th July 2008, 12:09   #9
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Rob,

When I'd read your first post, I'd presumed that the car was responding well because you were at motorway speeds (or at least, further up the rev range and where the turbo is working) rather than being at lower revs where a duff MAF impacts you the most.

You'll see from the myriad other threads on MAF problems that you can check if the MAF is duff by disconnecting it and seeing if that improves the performance - I'd recommend that you do that straight away.

I changed insurance companies a year ago and went with Adrian Flux, who know all about the Synergy box. In phoning around for quotes, I described it as being a unit that improves fuel consumption and also engine torque for when I'm towing the caravan. I did find that few companies would insure the modified car and ended up paying approx £80-90 more than I would have done without the Synergy.

That said, I'm paying the extra premium again as the extra whoomph is easily worth it!

Hope that's useful. Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2008, 10:12   #10
anglaslt
Loves to post

R75 V8 and XPower SV-R

Rob,
When my MAF failed I got smoke, poorer performance (but not seriously poor), higher fuel consumption and the MIL light on.

After fitting a new MAF I decided to check other items as suggested on here.
The startling improvement came after cleaning the EGR. Couldn't belive how much better the car was afterwards. Quieter, smoother and much better performance.

So if your car has a few miles on it clean the EGR (mine has just reached 50k miles). Not difficult - just dirty!!

I replaced the PCV filter too but didn't notice any improvement, just glad I did it and don't have to worry about it.

Tom

The Two Sixties - It's a LHD V8 thing too......................

SV Club supports all Ford powered MGs......................... Membership Number 112
anglaslt is offline   Reply With Quote