Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th October 2018, 18:43   #1
Seagullsport

Rover 75 Saloon

Question Longish groaning noise from engine

My 75 CDTi 03 runs beautifully, no hesitation etc. However, lately with engine switched on and stationary or just moving off when hot a strange groaning noise comes through to the cabin from the engine, seems front to back. No symptoms at all but worrying because it is so strange. Never had it on any car before. Can't miss it. quite loud but varies in duration and time - maybe a couple of seconds or so. I know groaning is a funny term to use but I can't think of any other way to describe it. I emphasise it only occurs when stationary or just moving off, never when driving. Help.
Seagullsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2018, 18:54   #2
KeithA
Loves to post

Rover 75 Conny Tourer Auto

With the air-conditioning on by any chance? Check your fan is working (search demist test on the forum, very common issue)

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk
Old 10th October 2018, 17:04   #3
Seagullsport

Rover 75 Saloon

Exclamation Groaning noise

Thank you for pointing me in the a?c direction. I found and realised that no fan was or has been working, yet just driven to south of france with no issues. I got the front engine cooler fan going again by 'freeing it off' - gentle persuation with screwdriver, came to life and is OK. sorry to be naïve but am I right that the fan behind the front main one is the a?c one which is solid and does not come on. The small green light comes up on the button and the a/c works perfectly well but the occasional odd groan is still there and no movement from the rear fan. Next step for me to take ? I tried to look at forum as you suggested but could not identify with my situation. I am grateful for suggestion so far.
Old 10th October 2018, 21:14   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The 'fan' in question is the big radiator cooling fan situated under the bonnet behind the front grill and in front of the radiator/aircon condenser. There's no other fan in that area. The engine cooling system and the aircon system both use this same fan. It should run continuously at 'low' speed whenever the aircon is in use - hence the 'Demist Test', which verifies this is working.

Your next step is to run the Demist Test.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 16:51   #5
Seagullsport

Rover 75 Saloon

Red face

Thanks Keith for your help. All seems to be working now with no 'groan' for about 4/5 days. Fan working as it should etc. Fingers crossed. I am grateful to you.