Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th September 2015, 13:00   #1
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Default another sunroof leak .... cut your ends off

so did the drain tube mod excellent .. poured 2 ltrs of water into the sunroof surround filled the channel right up and it drained away check inside the car all dry then drip....

looked up water dripping down the a pillar wouldnt have noticed it if the interior had been out

partially dropped the roof lining and its seeping.. well seeping a lot from the joint with the roof and the sunroof frame ... so re rodded the drains seemed clear tried again still filled the channel still drip drip drip out of the roof lining this time

so under the wheel arches and cut the ends off the drain pipes .. tried again 2 ltrs of water disappeared without filling the channel success

I know you are unlikely to get that much rain go down the drains in a short space of time but if it can cope with that it will cope with anything

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2015, 19:11   #2
sydneymj
Loves to post

Member of the Copperleaf/Aubergine Leather Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5tart View Post
so did the drain tube mod excellent .. poured 2 ltrs of water into the sunroof surround filled the channel right up and it drained away check inside the car all dry then drip....

looked up water dripping down the a pillar wouldnt have noticed it if the interior had been out

partially dropped the roof lining and its seeping.. well seeping a lot from the joint with the roof and the sunroof frame ... so re rodded the drains seemed clear tried again still filled the channel still drip drip drip out of the roof lining this time

so under the wheel arches and cut the ends off the drain pipes .. tried again 2 ltrs of water disappeared without filling the channel success

I know you are unlikely to get that much rain go down the drains in a short space of time but if it can cope with that it will cope with anything

I have done exactly the same job today poured some water down the channel with a bottle at the end of the tube to catch the water all went initally OK until tipped more water again and noticed water coming through on the A pillar is the because I forced to much water ?

Off_assembly_date Thursday, 10th March 2005 @ 11:46:02
Exterior Paint Ski Blue
Interior_Trim Sandstone Leather (Black Piping)

Was the 27,180th 75 Tourer to run off the production line, out of 27,407
Was the 658th 75 Tourer 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 662
Vehicle was the 166th 75 Tourer in Ski Blue (code: JHI) to be made out of 189 Ski Blue 75 Tourers
sydneymj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 03:24   #3
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneymj View Post
I have done exactly the same job today poured some water down the channel with a bottle at the end of the tube to catch the water all went initally OK until tipped more water again and noticed water coming through on the A pillar is the because I forced to much water ?
in the wheel arch where the pipes come out behind the wheel arch liner there is a restriction cutting the end off the drain does away with this restriction

what seemed to be happening in my case at least is the restriction was slowing the rate of water flow out down and it was backing up and then leaking between the sunroof frame and the roof of the car
I doubt anywhere near 2 ltrs of water would accumulate in that channel under normal circumstances but I would rather not test the theory

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

Old 21st September 2015, 14:23   #4
EHD1978
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer & MG ZT 190 SE

I think this is perhaps my issue too. I have done the modification to the two front sunroof drain tubes but with a water test (a full watering can over the closed sunroof) is was still dripping from the joint inside the car at the bulkhead. I have not yet cut the duck bills so maybe the water was too much and backed up in to the cabin? Will I be able to cut the duck bills without taking the front wheels off as I'm currently unable to get my locking wheel nuts off.

2004 Rover 75 Contemporary SE Tourer 2.5
2004 MG ZT 190 SE (Car number 96 of 151)
EHD1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 15:02   #5
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHD1978 View Post
I think this is perhaps my issue too. I have done the modification to the two front sunroof drain tubes but with a water test (a full watering can over the closed sunroof) is was still dripping from the joint inside the car at the bulkhead. I have not yet cut the duck bills so maybe the water was too much and backed up in to the cabin? Will I be able to cut the duck bills without taking the front wheels off as I'm currently unable to get my locking wheel nuts off.
yes I did mine with the wheels on

sharp pair of scissors

peel back the wheel arch liner

I was a bit stumped finding them until I found this post on the original how to ... made all the difference the water was gurgling out when put under load and I couldnt fill the drain channel with the sunroof open pouring 2 litres of water directly into it

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...&postcount=141

Old 21st September 2015, 16:29   #6
Lazyhound
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5tart View Post
yes I did mine with the wheels on

sharp pair of scissors

peel back the wheel arch liner

I was a bit stumped finding them until I found this post on the original how to ... made all the difference the water was gurgling out when put under load and I couldnt fill the drain channel with the sunroof open pouring 2 litres of water directly into it

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...&postcount=141
Did my front mods yesterday with wheels off much easier with more room. Couldn't get the plastic liner screws out from behind the struts so simply cut off with scissors
While in there with the liner off, I removed front mudguards and cleaned out completely the front sill area where the front wing bolts on.
Lot of muck builds up in there.
Lazyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2015, 19:11   #7
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyhound View Post
Did my front mods yesterday with wheels off much easier with more room. Couldn't get the plastic liner screws out from behind the struts so simply cut off with scissors
While in there with the liner off, I removed front mudguards and cleaned out completely the front sill area where the front wing bolts on.
Lot of muck builds up in there.

if you read the post he cant get his wheels off right now

Old 12th October 2015, 09:05   #8
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Just completed the Arctic sunroof drain mod, and tested with a small watering can that everything was running ok. Found that rear drivers side rear was leaking down the c pillar and I had a small pond under passenger rear seat. Fortunately that was as far as water had gone. So stripped out headlining to find tube not attached at sunroof. Seems a really flimsy joint with a strange cut in the pipe at the joint. Any suggestions how I can fit this pipe back securely? Would like to avoid having to drop headlining ever again! Might a small jubilee clip do the job, but very little to get a purchase on? Look forward to any advice. Cheers Roy
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015, 19:40   #9
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

they are just a pull fit the strange cut is to get purchase on the pipe to pull it on they usually get dislodged when people try and rod the pipes with either something too big or not flexi enough .. with them clear re attached the mod done and the duck bills cut off there should never be a reason to rod them through as there should be no build up in them also advise rodding from the bottom up first to clear anything