Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th August 2020, 14:40   #1
Mogart

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Hello and thank you

Hello all and a big thank-you to this forum that has helped me get my 75 CDTi tourer up and running.....
I swapped jobs a year ago having to give up my company car(s) thought I'd get a 75 tourer to knock about in.
I found this one super cheap with only 80k miles as it hadn't been used for a while with a few days MOT left and picked it up on a trailer. What could possibly go wrong ....!
Well, it was tidy enough underneath with new wishbones, exhaust, brake discs and looked OK for rust except one jacking point - but needed some tyres, a windscreen (missed on first inspection) and bodywork was a bit scratched and bumpers a shade off. I put it in for the MoT and it failed on the jacking point (not a big deal - just some local patching required) and the airbag light.

I chased my tail for ages with the airbag, which ultimately saw me park it up for a bit (also a nice 330D caught my eye so I have been running that for the last year)- but eventually got a bit of time during lockdown to get the light to go out after changing anything and everything as per the recommendations.
Most major issue was the blocked scuttle drains presumably causing the accelerometers to go for an unwanted swim.
Replacing the airbag ECU - I found the cruise control was not plugged in to the master switch - this explained why cruise wasn't working - and now it is. I like cruise a lot and was a major reason to take a chance on this car. As well as velour seats - I'm vegan, and I think leather is overrated any how - cold in winter hot and sweaty in summer...???
MoT passed filled it with fuel only to get a nasty whiff of diesel in the car. A quick rummage showed that it looked like the tank pump had been changed recently and not put back together properly. Sorted fairly easily.
Happy days - started using it for day to day stuff - lovely comfy quiet car, but oooo soooo slow. I wasn't expecting much coming from a 330D BMW but surely ...

So, a little investigation once the sun decided to come out showed there was an audible boost leak from around the front end- I tried new O rings in the elbow but struggled to get the elbow seated. After a front end strip, it was clear there'd been a little front end tap.....that explains the blue hue on the front bumper !

Stripping revealed missing intercooler mounting brackets, a small hole in the intercooler body (thus no chance for the elbow to seal), a bust up fan and a dented radiator, oh, - how that did not leak I do not know!, a very fragile looking condenser - no chance of holding R134a and a washer bottle hanging by a thread!
New parts ordered....but not wanting to invest a lot in the fan (bangernomics logic)- referring to Jules excellent threads I found a 2nd hand Kenlow on eBay and fitted that as per instructions - thank-you Jules!

The condenser from DMGR and Radiator from eBay were not keen on each other requiring a little fettling to fit. The fan was easy to do.
All back together (bar a few spare random bumper/ undertray fixings - next task) and we have cold air con !!! - and poweerrrrrrrrr. (well enough to pull the skin off rice pudding at least)
The rad elbow was leaky - my cheap radiator from eBay just was not stiff enough in that area to make the elbow seal - I found some high temp stretchy tape from Halfords that seems to have done the trick wrapped around the nose of the elbow and bolted up. The eBay guy was happy to swap - but I wasn't up for the time to strip & replace.
So happy days at the moment, I really enjoy driving it - especially having nice cold air-con in this heat, the Beemer is going to make way for a motorhome and I can finally have a look at improving the cosmetics now. It's not the best, but has potential!

So - one more car saved from the scrappy thanks to this forum!

I'll post some pics once I work out how to do that...?
Mogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 14:52   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

well done for sticking with a car that had faults.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 15:09   #3
Mogart

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Pictures....

The car in question....
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12th August 2020, 15:11   #4
Mogart

Rover 75 Tourer

Default The dodgy intercooler.....

The dodgy intercooler:

The leaky elbow:

Rear view.....
Old 12th August 2020, 16:04   #5
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Congratulations on sorting out the issues.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote