Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2020, 21:26   #11
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Alot of my customers now pay by bacs, which means I dont have to spend 3 hours every Friday night doing my collecting. Some still pay cash especially the elderly and those who dont trust internet banking . Trouble is with bacs, it means as thete is no cash on completion of work, it means the customer then pays when they feel loke it.
Old 11th August 2020, 21:28   #12
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

May I say my question was more about my curiosity about retailers, at least those I visited today, being perfectly willing to take both cash or cards from customers but their outside cash machines were all out of order. So I saw people unable to get cash on demand. Hence the reference to 'Greece'.
Old 11th August 2020, 21:31   #13
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I don't like using my card for everything, yes I use it for a tank of fuel and the weekly shop but if I buy a pint I pay cash for it like an ice cream.

Its all ok until the system goes wrong, when the card system has a blip what do you do then?

I put some fuel in my bike last year and the machine in the petrol station rejected my card, the girl asked if I had another card and I only put one card in my pocket on my bike, luckily I had the cash. There was plenty of credit on the card and when I got home I rung the card company and they apologised and put a £20 credit on my card.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2020, 23:08   #14
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Took the better half out for a meal at her favourite pub in St Ives a couple of weeks ago. At the very full station car park, both cash machines out of order. Payment however must be made to avoid a ticket. If you can't pay, don't stay.
Wandered all over the car park and couldn't get a signal. Risked it and went to join partner in Hotel. No cash being accepted at the bar. Set up tab on my only card. Shown table. While waiting for very slow service (furloughed staff, minimum on duty, all wearing visors or masks, socially distance tables) I managed to get a signal and pay the car park. Sign on table recommending we download the new app and order on that. Did as instructed, and round of drinks in 90 secs. Quite impressed. Went to order the main meal. Card now rejected.
Shortly afterwards waiter appeared, so abandoned the app method, verbally ordered but left wondering how we pay with a non-functioning card. Meal arrived, then a text from RBS 'Your card has been used in an unknown location'. Text menu was followed and finally card unblocked in time to use at the finish. So much unwelcome stress. We won't be risking going back for some time. The Banks have us all over a barrel. Total elimination of cash is their wet dream. Every transaction earning them a commission, every trader forced to accept them as a silent partner. And they can pull the plug on anyone when it suits, and our experience when tech fails for whatever reason
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 07:27   #15
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Lets face it, the self service machines are taking over, there will be no need for cash and no need for people to take the cash from you before long; we will be replaced by machines.
What happens to all the folks that had a job which involved taking money (cash) from people? What do they do to earn money to pay for things? What jobs are now available for all the new (mainly young?) folks coming into the job market? Etc. etc.

We seem to be heading rapidly to the situation where we have more and more people and less and less for them to do.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 12th August 2020 at 07:35..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 07:29   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
in the current situation most outlets prefer cards anyway so yes, we're already on our way. No minimum spend anymore. My bank statement looks strange, things like Greggs 85p, bus £2.30, even a newspaper 70p
some places sill have a minimum spend

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 07:31   #17
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westonboy View Post
Back in Janary I was enjoying my Sunday night pint in Wetherspoons. At five past nine I went to the bar to get my third pint of the evening, after standing for five minutes whilst the barman studiously ignored me. I eventually asked about the likelihood of some service. The barman said apps only mate. I replied I am not your mate and what the heck is an app. It transpired that after nine o clock the only service available was to use a smart phone and order by app from your seat. I asked to see the manager who on arrival also insisted on calling me mate, I informed him that I did not have a smart phone, he grudgingly said OK you can buy a pint. That was my last visit to the spoons, Who would have thought that six months later this would be the norm, what a shame for folk who remember when things were as sound as a pound.
'Spoon's have lost my business since my well behaved dog cant go in to there premises with me, but unruly children can.
As to being called "mate" all the time, I agree, not professional.
I had to phone my insurance company last night and it was all "mate this and that" at one point I thought he was going to call me "bruth" but seemed to stop himself!

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 07:53   #18
ADO282
Banned

ROVER 75 Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Took the better half out for a meal at her favourite pub in St Ives a couple of weeks ago. At the very full station car park, both cash machines out of order. Payment however must be made to avoid a ticket. If you can't pay, don't stay.
Wandered all over the car park and couldn't get a signal. Risked it and went to join partner in Hotel. No cash being accepted at the bar. Set up tab on my only card. Shown table. While waiting for very slow service (furloughed staff, minimum on duty, all wearing visors or masks, socially distance tables) I managed to get a signal and pay the car park. Sign on table recommending we download the new app and order on that. Did as instructed, and round of drinks in 90 secs. Quite impressed. Went to order the main meal. Card now rejected.
Shortly afterwards waiter appeared, so abandoned the app method, verbally ordered but left wondering how we pay with a non-functioning card. Meal arrived, then a text from RBS 'Your card has been used in an unknown location'. Text menu was followed and finally card unblocked in time to use at the finish. So much unwelcome stress. We won't be risking going back for some time. The Banks have us all over a barrel. Total elimination of cash is their wet dream. Every transaction earning them a commission, every trader forced to accept them as a silent partner. And they can pull the plug on anyone when it suits, and our experience when tech fails for whatever reason
I've just returned from the Post Office having sent a parcel to a friend special delivery.

I would have normally sent such an item 1st signed, but the last time I did that the parcel took eight days to arrive.

The woman behind the counter looked a little surprised when I pulled a handful of coins out of my pocket to pay.

I've a table booked at a local steakhouse in a couple of weeks for me and my good lady..........it remains to see what that experience goes, I've no app, no card and money to spend.
ADO282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 08:19   #19
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

I heard somewhere that Asda charge £1 on top of your fuel purchase at their unmanned, or pay by card pumps at manned petrol stations if you use a card.

Can anyone confirm this is the case...or not ?

If it is, that's awful, fuel is expensive enough without being charged for the privilege of buying it.
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 10:17   #20
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
I heard somewhere that Asda charge £1 on top of your fuel purchase at their unmanned, or pay by card pumps at manned petrol stations if you use a card.

Can anyone confirm this is the case...or not ?

If it is, that's awful, fuel is expensive enough without being charged for the privilege of buying it.
Sainsbury's also are doing this when you use pay at the pump. Their fuel station by us regularly have "pay at the pump" option only, shop is shut! Just another way to rip us off and reduce staff numbers in the kiosks. All on the back of blaming Covid.
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote