Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th March 2014, 15:22   #11
Stormbringer
Avid contributor

MG ZT

It'll be interesting for me lol as Blue was first registered in Edinburgh and now Lives in Berkshire
New boot lid with spoiler fitted
Plenum Guard fitted
To do
Reversing sensors.
Xenon headlights
Twin horns.
Stormbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 15:26   #12
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

But it's not just registrations.

What about driving licences, etc. Even if Scotland were to set up its own equivalent of the DVLA, who would end up paying for a new licence.

Also, a Scottish registered vehicle can only be driven in England/Wales/NI for 6 months in any 12 and a Scottish driving licence would need to be replaced by a DVLA one after 6 months residence in what remained of the UK.

And let's not start on mail, passports, etc.
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 15:29   #13
andy1968
Loves to post

MG ZT+

I think if Scotland does go solo it will cause problems for both Scotland and what remains of the UK (or whatever it will be called then)

Such as, will Scotland automatically be a member of the EU ?

Where will the nuclear subs be based ?

Will Scotland continue to use sterling ?
andy1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 15:35   #14
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Old 11th March 2014, 15:39   #15
berkshirelad
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1968 View Post
I think if Scotland does go solo it will cause problems for both Scotland and what remains of the UK (or whatever it will be called then)

Such as, will Scotland automatically be a member of the EU ?

Where will the nuclear subs be based ?

Will Scotland continue to use sterling ?
AIUI, the EU have said that Scotland would need to apply for membership in their own right - and as a 'new' member would be required to adopt the Euro.

If Scotland were outside the EU, then we would need to enforce border controls and HMRC at the Scotland/England border. A bit like putting Hadrian's Wall back into service...

As far as the Nukes are concerned, the subs could easily be based at Devonport or Portsmouth. Faslane can keep the leaky on ethough...
berkshirelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 15:51   #16
philjudo
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 CDTI Saloon Club SE

I only wondered what Scottish plates would look like.

From a personal point of view I would be sorry at a split and being ex forces with loads of Scottish mates I think it would be a shame, Banter with the Scots is one thing reality is another, we've been through a lot together, if that's what they want then fine.

Licence, AA / RAC etc cover, insurance, MOT, how will that change.

Amazing what a lunch break can have you thinking about.
Old 11th March 2014, 16:44   #17
wmj
Regular poster

MG ZT diesel auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
AIUI, the EU have said that Scotland would need to apply for membership in their own right - and as a 'new' member would be required to adopt the Euro.

If Scotland were outside the EU, then we would need to enforce border controls and HMRC at the Scotland/England border. A bit like putting Hadrian's Wall back into service...

As far as the Nukes are concerned, the subs could easily be based at Devonport or Portsmouth. Faslane can keep the leaky on ethough...
There are International legal experts still arguing about whether if Scotland vote yes, both Scotland and the remaining UK may both become “successor states.” The argument being that without Scotland the UK is no longer the original country that applied for EU membership and has effectively also became a new state. If the EU tries to block an independent Scotland from joining, I think it would be fair to say the legality of the UK's continuing membership may be questioned. That's assuming the rest of the UK have not already voted to leave the EU themselves after their own referendum. The current UK membership is not as straight forward as the likes of France for example, being that the membership is already made up of four widely recognised individual countries.

I personally haven't made my mind up which way I will vote yet because there still isn't enough information but it is getting quite annoying that a couple of multi millionaire politicians continue to try and to tell us we aren't capable of running a country and somehow they can do a better job than we can.
wmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 17:21   #18
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Red face

Hi

One thing is for sure is that the debate is bringing out the worst in a lot of folk. UK assets belong to us (the Scottish people) as they do to everyone else. I don't like to hear people from south of the border telling us to go away and get lost. This does not help sensible debate. In fact it is more likely to encourage people to vote yes. The scare stories being banded about by both sides don't wash either.

Things may very well be difficult at first but as a nation Scotland would survive. In Europe out of Europe....south of the border don't actually know if they want in or out so a bit rich lecturing us on the difficulty of entry! There may very well be a vote for that looming. Currently it would probably be a get out vote. That would provide the rest if the UK with exactly the same problem. A sensible question is also if Scotland is such a drain on resources do any of us actually believe Messrs Cameron and co would want to keep us? I think not.

I am not sure what would be best for us. I have decided I will support whatever the outcome is. Sometimes a little pain is worth suffering to be in control of your own affairs. We have other assets not just oil. In fact it does seem that there is a lot more to come out yet from the North Sea.

On the other hand I have always considered my self both Scottish and British. We have a lot of shared history, but not all of that is good. Would a Scottish government supported invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan? I honestly don't think so. What have we all got to show for the fortunes made out of the North Sea? I include us all in this question. Nothing! There is nothing left it has all been spent! Norway......? A different story.

My summary of this is a strongly held belief that it is a very complicated picture. There will be good and bad points whatever the outcome. My personal preference I will keep to myself, but it is a very close call. Some of the rhetoric coming from down South is not helping the stay together camp. They may think it is, but believe me a lot are beginning to be annoyed by some of the stuff being forced down our throats by messers Cameron, Clegg and Miliband. Three men who are totally detached from reality! ' What do they know about the conditions most of us live in?

Like most divorces (if that is what happens) both sides will survive. Some will be better off than others on both sides of the border. Like most divorces the assets are shared and wherever lawyers are involved they both tell their clients what they want to hear. The outcome often has little resemblance to what they said it would be.

Time will tell. I do mean I will support what we decide. But, I hope that the people that are stuffing all the impossible difficulties Scotland would face were honest and admitted that they would face different, but just as serious difficulties it would give them. Then we may very well have a proper debate and discussions about what actually would happen.

This present stuff is just typical of our politicians. (All of them) their main concern is themselves. Truth a rare visitor to the chambers. Do we believe what they are all saying....really?

Mods...I think this should be moved to the social section please.

Chris

Last edited by Dragrad; 29th August 2014 at 22:34.. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the edit ;-)
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 17:45   #19
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Default Two questions

If Mr Salmond gets his way with his claim that all oil off the Scottish coastline belongs Scotland, should a predatory country try and seize the wells, whose navy would defend them?

I think Mr Salmond ought to tell the world how he intends to create the world's fastest ever Navy.

Will the ardent ex-pat supporter of Scottish independence, Mr Sean Connery, return to Scotland and pay his taxes there?

Celebrity verbal support is one thing, financial support another.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014, 17:48   #20
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj View Post
There are International legal experts still arguing about whether if Scotland vote yes, both Scotland and the remaining UK may both become “successor states.” The argument being that without Scotland the UK is no longer the original country that applied for EU membership and has effectively also became a new state. If the EU tries to block an independent Scotland from joining, I think it would be fair to say the legality of the UK's continuing membership may be questioned. That's assuming the rest of the UK have not already voted to leave the EU themselves after their own referendum. The current UK membership is not as straight forward as the likes of France for example, being that the membership is already made up of four widely recognised individual countries.
So, one possible scenario could be that Ukraine joins the EU, with memebrship pushed through by our politicians. Ukraine then gets to vote on whether the NUK (the non-united kingdom's as we will then be) should be allowed into the EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmj View Post
I personally haven't made my mind up which way I will vote yet because there still isn't enough information but it is getting quite annoying that a couple of multi millionaire politicians continue to try and to tell us we aren't capable of running a country and somehow they can do a better job than we can.
Of course the Scot's may yet not get to vote - refrendum's on independence seem to be out of fashion all of a sudden.

Last edited by MSS; 11th March 2014 at 17:52..
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote