Notices

Old 12th August 2020, 10:57   #21
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
I heard somewhere that Asda charge £1 on top of your fuel purchase at their unmanned, or pay by card pumps at manned petrol stations if you use a card.

Can anyone confirm this is the case...or not ?

If it is, that's awful, fuel is expensive enough without being charged for the privilege of buying it.
I've not come across this yet, if/when I do I won't bother buying any petrol and simply park the cars up.

It's the same with those ATM machines that charge to withdraw money, I simply don't use them.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 16:43   #22
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Sainsbury's also are doing this when you use pay at the pump. Their fuel station by us regularly have "pay at the pump" option only, shop is shut! Just another way to rip us off and reduce staff numbers in the kiosks. All on the back of blaming Covid.
Covid is the new 'go to' excuse for bad service & higher prices.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 16:47   #23
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
The Banks have us all over a barrel. Total elimination of cash is their wet dream. Every transaction earning them a commission, every trader forced to accept them as a silent partner. And they can pull the plug on anyone when it suits, and our experience when tech fails for whatever reason
It's all about control for the banks & the Government.
Personally l don't think they'll manage it for a couple of generations at least.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 17:29   #24
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
Is there something going on? Tried to draw a little pocket cash at Tescos. A rank of six machines went "Out of Order" one by one. The other three people lined up got the same screen. Then went to the next service station for my daily ration and the same there - four machines out of order. Went back to Tesco to get petrol and paid at the counter/cashier by card without problem. So, you can pay by any means but you can't get cash out. Greece?

Like I said in another thread about this whole sorry situation:

Control, compliance & a cashless society
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 20:50   #25
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
I heard somewhere that Asda charge £1 on top of your fuel purchase at their unmanned, or pay by card pumps at manned petrol stations if you use a card.

Can anyone confirm this is the case...or not ?

If it is, that's awful, fuel is expensive enough without being charged for the privilege of buying it.
I used my card to pay for fuel at the pump at Morrison's the other week, and sure enough on my bank app it showed a separate £1 transaction for the privilege, but it was in the "pending" section on my account, it hadn't actually been taken.
Now here's the interesting thing. I went in to queerey it, but they couldn't give me any explanation.
They told me to keep an eye on it and if it actually got charged to pop back in with a statement and they would refund me the pound.

Two days it sat in the pending section. Then just disappeared. I was never charged that £1.

The beginning of this month, the exact same thing.
I kept checking on the "pending pound" and two days later the pending transaction vanished.

I'm just wondering, do supermarkets actually charge for the privilege, or is it some weird thing which they can obtain an extra £1 if the card gets declined or something?

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2020, 20:54   #26
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

I've just Googled it.
It's a "pre-authorisation charge" .
You get the pound back when the transaction has cleared.
It's something to do with making sure there are enough funds in the account.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 15:12   #27
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Further to my earlier bit, went to Tesco again for cash today. Only one out of the available machines operating and with a lengthy queue. Obviously my modest needs didn't trigger any alarm bells. But, there was a remarkable difference. Usually the cash appears and whoever it is grabs it and it goes straight into the pocket. Today, every customer counted it and waited for the receipt!

Had a word with an ex-colleague, who still works in the sector, who said the flow of cash to banks is being monitored from higher sources (his slang for strangled) so as to limit exposure 'to funding'. His view, and he will remain (sorry to use that debased terminology) unidentified, is to liquidate whatever he can. Critically, we have a posturing leader, an apprentice chancellor and a cabinet terrified of putting a foot wrong. That's about as kind as I can make it.

On a personal level, I'm glad my parsimoniously 'tight' earlier lifestyle has led to a security that seems reasonably intact. My sympathies go to those who are in insecure jobs and who have no choice but to worry. If our leaders were more obviously trustworthy there might be reason to feel differently.
Old 13th August 2020, 17:14   #28
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

I got my pocket money from Sainsburys here in Weymouth today and all 3 machines were in use then chatting to my neighbour this afternoon and mentioned to her about no cash in machines and she told me she withdrew cash from our local Co-Op this morning without issue .That said at this time of year (holiday season) the cash machines in town usually run out of cash by lunchtime

Last edited by Ian G; 13th August 2020 at 17:24..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2020, 21:57   #29
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

It’s surprising how soon you get used to things changing. I’ve always been a bit wary of using a Contactless card, until in lockdown I started paying for everything on the card, eg newspapers, when for small amounts it’s so much easier just to ‘tap’.

But over the last couple of days, the contactless bit hasn't worked, so I’ve had to key in my PIN. How quaint and old-fashioned it seems..........
Old 14th August 2020, 10:20   #30
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
It’s surprising how soon you get used to things changing. I’ve always been a bit wary of using a Contactless card, until in lockdown I started paying for everything on the card, eg newspapers, when for small amounts it’s so much easier just to ‘tap’.

But over the last couple of days, the contactless bit hasn't worked, so I’ve had to key in my PIN. How quaint and old-fashioned it seems..........

I jumped at using DD's for bills and cards for as many payments as possible, I tend not to carry any cash at all anymore, most of the time.

I use three banks, 2x debit cards, 1x credit cards in my wallet plus all three available on my Iphone.

Yesterday I bought £35's worth diesel, went to pay with my Iphone, but it rejected my default NatWest card, as sometimes happens. No problem, I just flipped it to pay via my TSB card instead.

I long ago learned that it is never good to rely entirely on a single card, in case the banks server fails to respond quick enough or there is some other issue.

I only rarely make purchases now, where they lack a machine. The last regular place to buy, which began taking cards was the local chippy several months ago, after me asking them several times if they took cards yet - then around a month ago, then got rid of the old style machine and invited me to use a new one. It is the size and thickness of small mobile phone, white and takes either contactless or contact with pin payments. The fryer asked if I would let him test it for sending a receipt, as he hadn't tried it yet, which I agreed to. A second later it sent me a text message receipt.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote