Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd July 2020, 14:19   #491
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool A few more................................

.................................. garden photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4844.jpg (144.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4846.jpg (145.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4848.jpg (143.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4853.jpg (149.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4854.jpg (139.4 KB, 17 views)

232750. Over 3 months since I drove Banana.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:40   #492
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Your home and garden are looking superb Bob, you will be giving my Tracey some ideas.

We've had no rain down here as yet, but today has been very windy, enough to blow the washing dry before the rains sets in.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2020, 15:40   #493
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Update on what's been............................

....................................... happening in sunny Saltash.
Where has the year gone? Soon be end of the year and what a year it has been. Lost a few friends along the way, but made a few new ones.

The earliest that Roger can fly back to Brazil is October, then 2 weeks in quarantine. But he can get a flight to the Caribbean, where he has a holiday home, within the next two weeks. His wife and children are flying from Brazil to the holiday home next week, then 2 weeks in quarantine. So it looks like they will all be reunited by the end of August. I am so glad for him. Still hoping to meet up before he flies back. More on that as and when it happens.

I have been gardening like it's going out of fashion. The previous owner must have had a job lot of Gladioli delivered. There must be close to 30 plants in the back garden and a further 6 in the front. I have planted out a few daisy like plants. 3 out in the front and 2 in the back garden. The house leeks are flowering, they do this every other year. The friendship Rose is still flowering. Still getting strawberries from the various plants.

3 of the Gladioli are over 6 feet high. I asked on another forum about my imitation Banana plant, turns out it is called a Canna Lily and they grow in abundance out in Australia and New Zealand. Mine has only got one flower so far, might get some more to flower. My Red Poppies are starting to flower but my Yellow California Poppies are starting to die off.

Been asked to go to a few breakfast car meets but have declined. We are not out of the woods yet. I'm more happy to potter about in the garden these days. Bought myself a new lawnmower, a cordless one. But I dd not read the advert properly, never realised that you had to buy the batteries and charger separately. But all OK now. Cuts lovely, once I figured out the height setting.
Also bought some new long handled shears, the strimmer has seen better days. Along with the original lawnmower and the strimmer came to me from Val's aunt.

Got visitors coming down in September from Spalding. Sue and Terry along with the dog. Sue used to work with my Val, well Val done the work mostly. Terry is a ex policeman. He now works for Geest up in Lincolnshire. Night worker doing 4 on 4 off and straight 12 hour shifts.
It was this couple who gave us the friendship Rose back in 2006.

Zed the Ted is now back in Scotland, info on his page. Banana is behaving herself. The Bear, having cost me over a grand for new front shock absorbers, is running ok. Other than that all OK down here in the land of the pasty.

So No Going Back...................

A few photos.

Thanks for reading. Catch up soon.

1-Me back in 1991 with my Ford Transit "Iceberg".
2-My back garden.
3-The Canna Lily flower.
4-One of the Gladioli.
5-Sunset over Tremanton Castle. The view from my bedroom window.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5021.jpg (136.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1366.jpg (142.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4968.jpg (136.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC1383.jpg (141.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5007.jpg (152.0 KB, 15 views)

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 21st August 2020 at 12:38.. Reason: Spellin’
Old 4th August 2020, 07:15   #494
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 7 years ago today.............

.......................................... the bug began for me to come and live in Saltash. And it all started with an invitation to attend the Mount Edgecumbe House car show. The invite came via Allen & Val, along with Ian & Jan.

I travelled down from Barkingside in Banana to initially stay with Ian & Jan, (Redfive and now Ian G), at their home on the Isle of Portland. Then on the Saturday we would be travelling further down to Cornwall to stay with Allen & Val. And as I drove over the Tamar I thought to myself, “one day I’m going to live here”. The rest as they say is history.

The drive down was somewhat ‘a spirited drive’ with Redfive leading. Again another thought was, one day I would love to own Redfive. Who was to know I would own the car twice. And a year ago yesterday Rick and Deanna, (Rick-sta), came and took Redfive back to Essex to live.

Thought I would share that anniversary with you all.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 4th August 2020 at 07:16.. Reason: Spellin’
Old 6th August 2020, 12:00   #495
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Torrential rain and gale force winds............................

.................................. have played havoc with my gladioli, been out this morning in the rain tying them up where needed. One had snapped clean off. So ole Yella gladioli is in a bottle on the window ledge watching over the Bear.

Couple of photos showing the complexity of the Passion flower, and the common house Leek. The leek we grew from one plant and has been with us since 2000 in the same pot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5030.jpg (134.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5031.jpg (134.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5040.jpg (145.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5042.jpg (137.4 KB, 8 views)

onen hag oll
Old 21st August 2020, 13:54   #496
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Compliment from a passerby.............

.................................... certainly lifted my spirits in these troubled times. A doctors receptionist walks by every day to and from the surgery. Well yesterday she stopped and said that she loves walking past my house just to look at the flowers. Often looks over the gate to the back garden. She wants me to go and tend her garden, to get the colours back into her garden. Hopefully she was joking. My gardens are hard enough for me to keep in order.

I opened the back gate and let her walk in. She asked if it was ok to take a few photos to show her work colleagues and her husband. Ok with me. She then thanked me and continued onto work.
There is an elderly couple who often walk past, the lady is in the early stages of Dementia. Her husband walks her to the Spar shop and home everyday just to jog her memory. They often stop and look into the garden. I have invited them in but they have declined the invitation. But the lady always says hello to me.

My neighbour Gerry, across the road, is a caretaker at a school here in Saltash and at the height of the lockdown was kindly taking my garden rubbish to tip on the schools compost heap. Last weekend him and his school team set about trimming the 32 oak trees in the schools ground. They had chainsaws and a chipper. So with a friend who has a tipper, the Ford Transit type, brought home a load of wood clippings to put on the garden. What was left over was mine to have and use. So armed with a bucket I shovelled it up and there was enough to cover my two front gardens.

My other neighbour, who lives next door, and I have stopped parking our cars under the tree which overlooks our parking spaces. The perishing tree is dropping seeds and leaves along with sap and making the cars grubby.
Bill parks his car, a Peugeot, around the back by the garages. And I have slotted the Bear into behind Banana. I’m trying to contact the council about the tree to get it cut back, but no joy at the moment. T’other neighbour, Jane, had contacted the council awhile back and was waiting on someone to come and look. Well, we are still waiting. And now we have a horrendous storm and that is causing the tree to bend.
The winds reached 70mph on Tuesday. It is currently gusting up to 40mph.

Chris65 tell Pam I’m still using my duvet pegs. I often think about the meals we used to have in the Millstone/Windmill in Hinckley. Maybe one day we can have a reunion there. Will need to get Steve to put something together.

My friends who are coming down in September have had to change the dates, still hoping to come down next week on September 1st but even that’s on hold as Terry’s mum is “at end of life” in hospital in Romford Essex. So Terry and Sue are staying at his mum and dad’s house in North Woolwich, East London. Will have to wait and see if they are going to be up to visiting. I’ve had to put another friend off from visiting till October. Hoping they will be able to come down then.

Roger has gone back to meet up with his family at there holiday home in the West Indies. He went with very short notice, so our second meet up has not happened. Although I’m still hoping to meet up with Elizabeth and family next month. Roger has friends in high places and managed to get a seat on a private jet that was flying out from Gatwick. He phoned me the night before he went. He said he felt like a big kid going on his first flight. Not seen his family since February. I wished him well and hoped we can meet up again. He said he was hoping to bring the family over for Elizabeth’s wedding next year.

Roger’s businesses have been closed up, hotels and a chain of bars, since the pandemic started. Brazil has the biggest death toll from COVID-19. He kept his most loyal staff on to maintain the various properties. But even now he has had to let them go. He said he felt very sad about the decision but with no money coming in, the wage bill was biting into his funds. As, and when, the country gets back on its feet he will re-employ those that want to come back.

I’m waiting on the weather to calm down as I want to take down the eyesore or better known as the green house. It is a wasted space. It was built by the previous owner and sits long the end of the garage’s. It’s well constructed, it’s not moved even with this current storm going on. I intend to fill the holes in with soil then get a lawn laid on top. Might plant a few climbers on some trellises.
My Clematis, “Star of India”, has started to flower. Happy with that. The gladioli have suffered in these high winds. Most of the stems have snapped off.
My Canna Lily only had one flower last year, but this year we have 5 flowering stems.

The Poppys have flowers but the wind has taken the petals off. But I have planted out more Poppies in the front gardens, 1200 seeds in fact. So a few flowers should come up.
Now in the house my downstairs is all open plan. The only doors are the front and patio doors. I kept thinking that it looked too open. So I have had a change round. Moved the two leather armchairs forward so they are halfway between the wall and telly.
Then I stripped down the two large upright display units that were in the dining room, it is a separate part that is built onto the side of the house.

And manoeuvred them into the lounge, hard work on my own. But I managed it. With both units empty, they house my Rolls-Royce and Bentley model collection. I then set about giving them a clean, first clean they have had in 4 years. Sides, back and door are all glass along with the shelves. Used a glass cleaner called “Astonish” along with kitchen towel. Quite surprised how well it worked. Going to put some lighting in at some point.

The dining room has two dining room chairs along with a drop leaf table in there. My two printers are on the table, still using it has my office for club orders.
Now the drop leaf table was bought by my Dad from a, then unknown, furniture shop called “Courts”. They went on to be a massive chain till one recession bit too hard and they went out of business. The table has been taken apart a couple of times. Once to put it up in the loft back in Barkingside, and taken apart to move it to Cornwall. Absolutely nothing wrong with it. When it gets a polish it still looks like new.
Now Dad retired in 1972 and he bought the table before he left Post Office Telephones or BT as it is known now. So it has to be at least 50 years old.

Both cars are behaving themselves. Still using Banana on shortish trips but she did trip over onto 210,000 miles last week. Bear is still running ok and gets to into England from time to time.
Got two trips planned before the year is out. One trip is up to Birmingham and t’other trip is to Kent. The annual trip to the IOW has been postponed for this year. Not worth going as November through to March is when COVID-19 will rear it’s ugly head.

So we have been here for 14 months and 13 days.

Definitely No Going Back Ever.

Thanks for reading and the kind comments.

Will post up some photos at some point.

onen hag oll
Old 24th August 2020, 13:14   #497
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Just a few pictures....................................

.......................... of the change round in the lounge.

1- Sofa against the wall.
2- The two display cases against the wall. On the left is the entrance to the dining room.
3- My Poppy light, tea light candle for the light,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3139.jpg (134.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5177.jpg (137.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5190.jpg (91.9 KB, 23 views)

onen hag oll
Old 24th August 2020, 20:43   #498
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Those display case's look great.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 21:34   #499
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Those display case's look great.
Ikea. Need two people to build but I built them on my own. You can get lights for them if you want.

onen hag oll
Old 28th August 2020, 07:29   #500
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Where does the time go................

................................... today is another one of those special dates that is carved into my heart forever. For today we would have been celebrating our 27th wedding anniversary. It was a perfect day in every way. Blue sky greeted us, not a cloud in the sky all day. Queen Victoria House in Barkingside was the venue. Surrounded by family and friends I said “I do” to my Val. So glad when she also said “I do”.

Wedding breakfast at the Beehive pub and the wedding reception in our back garden. 2 bbq’s on the go, along with home prepared food, lots of falling down water and a barrel of specially prepared beer. Along with a friend we put Val to bed at 11pm (ish!), she was tired and emotional. And slightly drunk. I was the last one standing in the early hours of the morning.
Normally I would be staying at Michaels so that I could go to the cemetery with flowers. Tidy up the grave where Val lays with her Mum and Dad. Have a chat, put the world to rights.

So this year will be the first time I have missed going over, but I know Val will let me off, (memories are rolling down my face as I write this). I’m hoping Michael will remember and go and lay some flowers on the grave but I’ll not hold my breath. I did gently ask him when we spoke last weekend. But Michael has more important thoughts on his mind. He woke up one morning about 12 days ago and was unable to see out of his right eye. Doctors gave him drops to put in and he has a appointment at Moorfields next week. He can see out of the eye but not clearly.

Plus his daughter, my niece, Laura wants to start looking around to buy there a home, she and boyfriend currently rent in Camden. Not the cheapest places to rent. So I expect Michael will no doubt throw a few quid in to help. I’ll check my piggy bank to see if I can help out.
I know of a place they could rent but commuting to and fro to London would be expensive?
It came as a shock to me when the house next door to me came up to rent. I only spoke to my neighbour the day before and he never said a word.

It appears that the lockdown took its toll on his financial situation, so he has to downsize to a smaller place. He has found a 1 bedroom flat to rent, will still be in Saltash.
So if anyone fancies renting a nice 3 bedroom house next door to me? Only £750 a month. The estate agents are ‘Belvoir’.

Still not sure if my friends from Lincolnshire are coming for a holiday. Terry’s mum passed away last Sunday. I imagine that they will cancel, I’ll phone them on Sunday if I don’t hear before.
Other than the torrential rain and gale force winds all ok down here in the land of the pasty.

Catch up with some of you very soon at the breakfast meet.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll