Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th January 2020, 09:53   #221
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I think I mentioned this in another thread wherein France was taken to the European court by 'Client earth' lawyers for failing to keep up with Paris accord commitments.
The French government lost the case & are having to implement draconian measures on all new cars.

All vehicles with less than 20g/Km (basically all EV's) will get a €6000 subsidy whilst the higher polluting vehicles will be heavily taxed.

As from the 1st January 2020 all trucks & SUV's and any vehicle with gram/Km higher than 185g/Km are now subject to a pollution tax up to €20000 up from €10500

https://twitter.com/MockPeter/status...35166%2Fpage-4

Why is he mentioning France! The UK government are up in the European court next for the exact same reason as France was and our Paris accord commitments record is worse than the French so I dare say they'll be wielding the big stick too.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 10:04   #222
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
I worked in a vehicle refurb place not so long back.
We had an Email telling us about the way of jacking electric cars up and damaging the batteries. They said in most cases the cost of replacing the battery bank was more than the cost of the rest of the car.
Wait until the public realize the cost of replacing the battery bank on a used electric car. They would'nt touch used electric cars with a barge pole.
EV battery units are quite expensive but probably no more than a new engine from a manufacturer in some cases. The IMI do different levels of EV training, level 2 and you can make the vehicle safe, Level 3 and you can make safe and replace components. Level 4 means you can then safely strip the battery module assembly. This is probably as dangerous as it gets from the tech point of view but it means you can take the 360 volt battery apart and replace a damaged cell rather than the full assembly. Therefore it’s only a matter of time until cell replacement negates the need for battery replacement.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 10:17   #223
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
There is no simple, single solution, perhaps the hydrogen fuel cell, but it presents its own problems, and is probably still several, precious years away.
Hyundai produce two Hydrogen fuel cell cars, the older ix35 and the NEXO. The NEXO is a fabulous bit of kit and worth looking at. There are many videos on YouTube and fifth gear loaned one to Ronnie O’sullivan which is worth a watch. The only thing holding hydrogen cars back is in the infrastructure, there are very few hydrogen filling stations in the UK.
https://youtu.be/IroUzUDnjd0

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 12:22   #224
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
See here and here
A “renewable” form of energy then.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 15:28   #225
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Thumbs down Council actively hostile to cars in Truro

The anti -car brigade is in full swing in the South West.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/co...-leave-3675442

Now the chaos in the roads around Truro makes more sense. Each 'improvement' is actually to deter motorists and force them to use public transport. For myself, I'll just switch to more car friendly locations. Local city centre traders should begin to demand rate rebates as they inevitably lose out to the 'out of town' shopping areas with free parking provided.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 21:03   #226
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

1976 was indeed the hottest summer I can account for in my 80 years. I have a momento hanging by the front door of my house, which we got in 1975 when we stayed in Towyn, Wales. On the reverse side of this, is a written statement about the summer of 1976. It goes:- 1976, the hottest summer for years.Summer 11 weeks. 95 degrees day and night. Drought. 115 degrees outside.I remember going to work and thinking that every morning I got up, I thought I was going to die because of lack of sleep. It was terrible for me as I don’t like very hot weather. I also remember 1947 and that winter. My father And next door neighbour had to dig their way out of the front door to the footpath 15 feet away. People grunt and groan about climate change today. Load of hysterical claptrap.
Old 6th January 2020, 16:31   #227
mileshawk56
Posted a thing or two

MGZT

Andrew, "TREND" n. meaning 1. general tendency or direction. 2. fashion, mode. Its a bit of handy word and not like "EVIDENCE" which stands to be examined. It may be that the world will end very soon as stated by the believers but I don't think it will because many of them have shown less than acceptable intellectual rigor in their presentations, so I will continue to practice economy and a responsible life style as I have for the last 75 years. The elephant in the room is population control not any of the trendy buzz words which many public figures use to frighten everyone and do they ever think what it is like for children to be continually told they are all doomed, everything is going for a ball of chalk? They and their fellow travellers should hold their heads in shame , but they don't do they- their life styles!!!! those of denial and example? Don't hold your breath- and yes MGJohn 1976 was the hottest barr none. Chris.S.(Knuckledragger 2nd Class)
mileshawk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2020, 19:50   #228
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Therein lies the problem with the ideology of successive scientists in their consensus of opinion. Not many of them would dare to challenge the fixed and accepted findings of their own establishment.

The excellent peer-review system for validation of new work and insight is also used to their own advantage. If ground breaking or contrary evidence does not receive such examination it will never be accepted.

Consequently, as in the flat earth society, evidence to validate new ideas in new work is seen as heresy and it fails to meet with enthusiasm, especially when venerated members have established eminence.

When amateurs who catch the public eye reach critical mass and echo the consensus of the establishment, especially when supported by modern day heroes in Show Business, then that is seen as confirmation of the established doctrine and beyond question. Enter the wild goose chase, led by a child.
Old 6th January 2020, 21:38   #229
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Exspurts And lawyers. In my long observations on both, I have observed how fact can be made into fiction, and fiction into fact. Everyone will have observed that what is printed in newspapers, is most times of late, not actual ‘news’ but very often, only the opinion of the so called ‘reporter’. This is then amplified by various people putting their own ‘spin’ on it all. Innuendo is not fact, but is believed by many to be the truth. The world is run by innuendo from those in power. You only have to think of the latest situation with the latest episode in Iran. I rest my case.
Old 6th January 2020, 23:40   #230
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileshawk56 View Post
Andrew, "TREND" n. meaning 1. general tendency or direction. 2. fashion, mode. Its a bit of handy word and not like "EVIDENCE" which stands to be examined. It may be that the world will end very soon as stated by the believers but I don't think it will because many of them have shown less than acceptable intellectual rigor in their presentations, so I will continue to practice economy and a responsible life style as I have for the last 75 years. The elephant in the room is population control not any of the trendy buzz words which many public figures use to frighten everyone and do they ever think what it is like for children to be continually told they are all doomed, everything is going for a ball of chalk? They and their fellow travellers should hold their heads in shame , but they don't do they- their life styles!!!! those of denial and example? Don't hold your breath- and yes MGJohn 1976 was the hottest barr none. Chris.S.(Knuckledragger 2nd Class)
As you presumably needed to find this definition in a dictionary, you might have done better to find its meaning in relation to plotting a graph of SCIENTIFIC data, ie EVIDENCE, SCIENTIFICALLY recorded by accepted methods, Chris. The summer of '76, I remember well, having foolishly sold my Morris Minor convertible just before the heatwave started, and bought a Triumph Herald saloon, which was like an oven when I set off after work. That summer would be something of an outlier on the SUMMER TEMPERATURE/YEAR graph, as would the winter of 78 - 79 on a SNOWFALL or WINTER TEMPERATURE/YEAR graph, that saw my father digging a tunnel through the snow covering his front door, and neighbours climbing out of upstairs windows to get out of their homes in Cumbria. In London, I was watching cars slithering helplessly in the snow and ice on the Hendon flyover from the Remploy Building near Staples Corner. One point on a graph, taken in isolation, means nothing - you have to look at the trend of all the data/co-ordinates, - ask any real mathematician or scientist. My own observations of 40 winters in this house, is that before around 1985, Christmases without snow outside the door were rare. Since then they have been increasingly frequent, until, over the last 10 years there has been 1, maybe 2. This December, we have only had snow on the fell behind my house below 1,000 feet on 2 mornings, and it didn't last at that level for more than a day.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote