Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: Have your kv6 camshaft end-caps ailed
I have had them replaced over 5k miles ago and they are fine 3 60.00%
I had them replaced and they failed / fell out 2 40.00%
I had originals (not replacements ) fail 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th October 2015, 16:48   #1
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Default KV6 camshaft seal poll

A recent thread prompted me to have a look on DMGRS web site , and I noticed that Matt now offers camshaft oil seals in place of the end caps . I have read several threads on here about problems with the end caps coming loose , but have not experienced any problem with the few that I have replaced . I do admit they are tricky to fit properly !
So to investigate further I thought a poll might be of interest to see how common the problem is .
Please note this poll is mainly only for people who have had the caps replaced as I assume failure of original caps is a different matter , but I have added an option for those who have had a failure of the original "untinkered-with" items !
Old 16th October 2015, 17:04   #2
Lozzer

MGZS 180

Had mine replaced when I had the belts done 6 years ago and they have been fine, although the tooling for them would have been "fresher" back then. Doing the belts this time I have fitted the seals as supplied by DMGRS with again no problems so far. From a design point of view the caps are just that, a cap that fits in the cam housing, and I can see why they can fall out, DMGRS ones are an actual seal that positively locates around the cam and housing so I would imagine a lot less likely to blow out.
Lozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 17:16   #3
chris75
same car since 2005

My own suspicion is that the replacements that fall out were not fitted properly
They need to be fitted squarely and fully home .
Old 16th October 2015, 19:46   #4
Salad-Dodger
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 190

I recently had to perform an engine swap on my V6 and used the caps from my old unit as I forgot to order the new ones.
It is, of course, a lot easier to pull them out, and fit them with the unit out of the car but Chris is correct. They have to be fitted fully in and square.
I smeared a bit of Holymar on them to get a seal. Been in for a couple of thousand miles now and they are still there.
Had to clean the white sealer stuff off them that the previous guy had used so this may be the third time they have been used.
May seam reckless but as I say, they are still there. Steve
Salad-Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2015, 23:20   #5
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Replaced mine over 5K miles ago with original type caps (not seals), no problems.

They were a complete and utter pain in the rear end to fit properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
My own suspicion is that the replacements that fall out were not fitted properly
They need to be fitted squarely and fully home .
I agree

One point about using seals not caps - I have seen on another engine (Pug XUD in a Rover 218 R8 shape) the end of the camshaft that sticks out beyond the seal go rusty, and the rough rustiness spread to where the seal seals, and damage it resulting in a leak. So I'd rather fit caps.
"...the new Rover 75, which is a fabulous car......I think it looks fabulous....It's like sitting in a Rolls Royce......For me, this is the star of the show.....it looks so good" - J. Clarkson, motoring journalist on the launch of the Rover 75 in 1998.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015, 14:23   #6
chris75
same car since 2005

Bump ! Could do with a few more votes on this one
Anyone else ?
Old 20th December 2019, 13:31   #7
Fred Byrne
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Camshaft cap seal

I am in the middle of timing belt and am belt change on my Rover 75 2.5 petrol connoiseur. The rear cap went on with little difficulty. The front one was an absolute pig (sorry pigs, will be more PC in future). Some gremlin who resides within the engine kept tilting it out of true. I spent hours trying to get it square. Eventually I made up a simple tool that worked first time. I bought some 5/16 inch screwed rod in the local farm suppliers I am sure screwed rod is also available on eBay. Then cut off a 41/2 inch length, threaded two nuts on one end and locked them together and ditto about 2 inches from that end. then on the other end a nut and washer and a half inch drive 20 mm socket. I screwed a nut on the end so that the socket would not fall off. This was a simple screw jack with the socket as the load bearing end. The gadget was then located between the car wing and seal cap the 20 mm socket bearing against the cap. The lenght was adjusted via the nut and washer behind the socket. I allowed about one inch of the rod to protrude into the socket. Then preventing the rod from turning via the two locked nuts and a plumber's pliers I advanced the socket along the rod thus pushing the cap into place nice and squarely. I was surprised by how much force was needed to push the cap on. It was a little tricky getting everything in place because of the lack of room but it worked and quashed my suicidal thoughts.
Hope this helps someone

Fred
Fred Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2019, 19:35   #8
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

The lip seals would undoubtedly reduce the pressure force acting on the seal by perhaps 50%, but a dust cover would be a must in my opinion or the lip seal will fail early. Hence my logic is fit the original seals fully home and perpendicular, and all will be good.

Remove bumper 20 mins

Remove headlamp 2 mins

Full access to front cam seal achieved
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2019, 05:01   #9
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
A recent thread prompted me to have a look on DMGRS web site , and I noticed that Matt now offers camshaft oil seals in place of the end caps . I have read several threads on here about problems with the end caps coming loose , but have not experienced any problem with the few that I have replaced . I do admit they are tricky to fit properly !
So to investigate further I thought a poll might be of interest to see how common the problem is .
Please note this poll is mainly only for people who have had the caps replaced as I assume failure of original caps is a different matter , but I have added an option for those who have had a failure of the original "untinkered-with" items !
There should be an option for: no failure, still on original seals

Which, I guess, would be the case if you leave them well alone.
Old 21st December 2019, 08:55   #10
Rev Jules
Rev Jules

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

When I took one of my cars several years ago to a well known person on here,
having the belts and a service done he left the caps off and said they were not needed ???, Are they needed. not that I have the car now.

Rev.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote