Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th July 2019, 13:25   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Talking New sills

Hello guys, bough a new pair of sills from some guys in Poland, link:

Sills

They arrived and I'm not sure how the sill chrome trims are supposed to be inserted after they will be on the car, since there are no holes for the clips, and also, how would the trims fit in the cavity of these new plates, as you can see in the pics, both in the front and back the plates are not shaped after the shape of the original sill, they are just bent in a straight line, and there's also no drain holes and holes for the jack pads...

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

I have to say that I don't know much about welding and metal processing and wanted to ask if they can be somehow bent or made to fit for the trims and everything,

Last edited by Rsnail; 25th July 2019 at 14:14..
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 20:07   #2
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

I think they are galvanised as well which makes them a beggar to weld due to the fumes and many welders will not do them. Are your sills knackered - if so i would go for Tom Hobbs to do it -he can craft some sills and weld them in.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 20:12   #3
Yorkshire GOC

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Ah i see you are in Germany - maybe worth a journey on the Ferry unless you can find a good welder/classic car restorer in Germany - as i say galvanised sills make the whole process more problematic. The guy i mentioned in my earlier post is the go to guy in the club for sill repair - based near Nottingham and well priced.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 20:17   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

As you bought them on ebay send them back and get a refund - they aren't fit for use.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2019, 06:27   #5
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Oh hell so are they really good for nothing? I have a really skilled welder in the area here and he's only working on car body jobs, everyone I know goes to him because he's really good at what he's doing, but I can't reach him right now as he's full of work and I'm not in the country right now, that's why I'm asking for your advice here

Can't those outer edges be filled and shaped with fiberglass so that the trim would get a proper fit in there?

As for the jack pads holes, water drains and the holes for the trim clips, I think they can all be made when fitting the metal sheet over (???)

Last edited by Rsnail; 26th July 2019 at 06:31..
Old 26th July 2019, 07:53   #6
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Anything is possible, but far easier to find a decent welder who can make up panels and weld them in.

Usually it is only the rear end part of the sill that rots along with the rear jacking mount, so no need for a complete sill even if you could get a decent one.
Old 26th July 2019, 08:17   #7
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Is your rust so severe that you need a new section up to the trim clips? Mine were quite rusty on one side but only about half way up the sill, I needed to replace perhaps 18”. I re-used a section cut from a donor car for the curved, visible part of the sill, and fabricated my own repair section for the “flat” piece under the sill from 1mm steel. What you think is “flat” is in fact far from it and has several creases or folds, even the section for the jacking pad is slightly recessed, it took me a long time to get all the angles correct, each adjustment meant crawling in / out of my pit.

You can use the item you bought but don’t try to repair more than necessary. They are cold galvanised which makes welding difficult but if you can remove most of the zinc paint manually that will help.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2019, 16:04   #8
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Well I was thinking when buying these that if I do it one time properly I can then really forget about it in the years to come, so that's why I wanted to replace the whole sill and not just panels and then deal with the pain of maybe repairing the front side or the other rear side in the future and stuff like this... but if these panels can be adjusted to fit, I would keep them if it would be possible. Mike, why are you though saying that these aren't fit for use?
Old 26th July 2019, 19:16   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

They aren't fit for use because they are a million miles away from the original profile.

I'm only judging from the photos you provided, but weld those on and you lose the graceful lines of the car.

I can understand your thinking that doing the entire sill will save you from revisiting corrosion issues in the future, but with these cars it doesn't generally appear to spread beyond the rear end, unless anyone else horrific photos of corrosion at the front end of the sill?

My car is a much used out in all weathers year 2000 model. The front wings rusted due to the mudflaps trapping dirt and moisture.

But once the wing was removed and everything was washed down the front sill was still as solid as a rock.

Old 28th July 2019, 09:04   #10
Lovel

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Given that you paid £95 for the eBay sills, for not much more money Why not contact Rimmer bros and see if they would cut an original sill section of from this whole side of the body? Relatively cheap if you want to do the whole length of sill in my opinion. Perhaps shipping will be a lot less if just a small section cut off such as the sill.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-ALA500140

Last edited by Lovel; 28th July 2019 at 09:11..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote