Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st October 2020, 21:49   #21
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

"you will hear each one clicking."
If like me, you're well past retirement age, you may need a young person with good hearing to assist with this.
chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:14   #22
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochapman View Post
"you will hear each one clicking."
If like me, you're well past retirement age, you may need a young person with good hearing to assist with this.

Or a mechanics stethoscope - a nice handy and useful, but rarely used, diagnostic tool.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 16:29   #23
billh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Right, so I've just TOAF'd the PDC (they can't touch you for it!)

All 4 sensors reports pretty much the same errors:
quote/
Ultrasonic sensor rear right
Errors count 50
short circuit supplier cable/datacable to ground
open circuit
oscillation ending error
error present
sporadic error

/quote

The opencircuit error will be when I was testing the cables without the sensors. I thought I'd fixed the dodgy wiring and cleaned the connectors. it looks like I have to re-visit the wiring. I can't believe all 4 sensors have gone faulty. Would I be correct in thinking that the PDC ECU must be ok if it is reporting the above data?
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2020, 20:28   #24
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I would clear all the errors. Then play with the system! for a bit and see which ones return. Some of that could be historic.

It seems unlikely that every sensor would fail, so I would suspect the wiring and any connectors.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2021, 09:21   #25
billh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quick update on this. Thanks to Mickyboy, replacement wire loom, inside bumper fixed it.
The ECU was ok . The original looms from ECU tested out ok for continuity but still didn't work. The replacement looms had a different plug/socket behind bumper and could not take original route, too short, so slight re-routing required.
billh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2023, 11:24   #26
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I'm hijacking this older post as my car has a parking aid problem.

Last month I replaced all 4 sensors because 1 was broken. Prior to the job, a long fault beep was present when putting the car in reverse. After replacement the beep was gone, so I connected the car to TOAF, made a backup, reactivated the reversing signal, put the car in reverse and everything seemed to work.

Now as it turns out, parking aid isn't working unless the ignition is on and either one of the parking aid's ECU connectors is disconnected and reconnected. Doing this fixes the parking aid until the ignition is turned off again. Clicking 'save' in the parking module in TOAF leads to the same result. Ignition off means repeating the above steps.

There aren't any fault codes. Should I be able to see anything using live data in TOAF? There's nothing there. Also, when trying to restore the backup, TOAF says the backup is not intended for the parking aid's module, which it is. Would this indicate a faulty ECU?
timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2023, 17:02   #27
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Since the problem I had is mentioned numerous time on this forum and always remained without a solution, I went for a simple yet hacky approach to solve it and keep the OEM system in place.

We know that the parking aid would come to life after either disconnecting the white plug on the PDC ECU or clicking save in TOAF with the ignition on. It seems that the system needs some kind of re-registration of the sensors every time the ignition is turned on. If something can be triggered manually, it can also be done automatically.

All the wires on the white connector come from the sensors. There is a brown one for each sensor. Those are the positive 12 volt wires. I cut these close to the connector and bundeled all 4 wires (on the side coming from the sensors) together and connected those to the green/brown wire for the reverse light. By doing this, the sensors are powered only when the car is put in reverse instead of being powered all the time as soon as the ignition is turned on. This will re-register the sensors every time necessary and keep the system functioning, even after turning the ignition off/on.

Should there be any problem, fuse 41 for the reverse light and cruise control will blow, but for me this has been working perfectly.

This is a picture of how it works before tidying the harnesses up:

Last edited by timon; 25th May 2023 at 18:36..
timon is offline   Reply With Quote