Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th February 2017, 14:45   #1
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Default T series into zt/ mg6

As in the title really, I'm looking into swapping the k1.8 for a t series turbo, firstly to test the theory in a zt, but later on an mg6..
i have a zt turbo car complete, a v6 gearbox, a t engine and turbo, and this week bought a 1.8t flywheel and clutch to sus out requirements.
What have I learnt so far?
The k flywheel doesnt fit the t ( knew this allready)
The k flywheel has a different timing tooth pattern to the kv6, as well as a different diameter tooth dia.
Coupled with this tooth diameter thing - does this mean the timing pickup sensor is different? Will check part Nos, but either it is or the casing moves it in or out.
Also related, and the reason the k18 starter doesnt hit the timing teeth, is that the k18 starter comes from the engine side, opposite to the v6.
The t series fly/starter ring is the same dia and tooth pattern as the k18.
The solid flywheel, not suprisingly, is a lot shorter than the k18, (don't know about the v6), this means the clutch plate is only half on the gearbox input shaft splines.
Three of the engine to gearbox mounting bolts line up (this is the main reason to use the v6 box).

More info added as it comes to me, however, i could do with some more bits to gather further info if anyone feels like helping:
I could do with a v6 flywheel and clutch cover - scrap one would do.
With an eye to the second phase of this i could do with an mg6 flywheel.
A zt v6 starter - I will buy this on ebay, plenty on there.

For now i need to somehow space out the clutch - maybe use a v6 fly? But this would need a k18 timing tooth pattern cut into it - on a smaller pcd.
I also need to work out where the teeth are relative to the sensor at tdc- since the engine, box and fly are different it might mean what the k 18 ecu thinks is 40 deg btdc is actually 5 degrees?
I'm also considering making a disc for the front pulley so I can forget about the bellhousing teeth, either that or machining a new set further in where they don't conflict with the starter motor.
At this moment it looks like a v6 fly with new teeth or a whole new fly machined from billet, which would also need a smaller set of timing teeth.
Huw
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2017, 16:17   #2
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Are you planning to drive the car on the road again, or is it going to be just a Track day car?
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2017, 20:09   #3
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

A zt as a track day car? No, and as for an mg6, no.
Old 11th February 2017, 21:58   #4
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
A zt as a track day car? No, and as for an mg6, no.
Then the T Series, is completely the wrong engine to go for, as your car will never pass another MOT with it fitted. The emissions are measured on what was originally fitted to the car, so it's possible to fit an engine from a later vehicle, as it will produce lower emissions, but the T Series will never pass an emissions test when fitted to one of our cars, which is the main reason it was discontinued.
Old 11th February 2017, 22:55   #5
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

What are you doing with regards to management? No doubt aftermarket in which case why are the pick ups so important? You could mount the pickup anywhere and map it to suit.

K series tuning has come a long way in the last few years, and power to cost is now roughly the same between them up to a certain point, so I'm in agreement with the above comment about it being a bad engine choice, but it will make a good project to I hope it all goes well.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 00:02   #6
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
Then the T Series, is completely the wrong engine to go for, as your car will never pass another MOT with it fitted. The emissions are measured on what was originally fitted to the car, so it's possible to fit an engine from a later vehicle, as it will produce lower emissions, but the T Series will never pass an emissions test when fitted to one of our cars, which is the main reason it was discontinued.
Well sorry to disagree CP, but one thing I did forget to mention was that the engine will run on lpg
So no worries about emmissions, and, also I plan to keep the k18 ecu, thereby making it a relatively simple job. Making the zt electrics work with an aftermarket ecu is one job I don't want to get involved in. So you see, solve the crank pickup, happy days.

Rrobson, power to cost is not the issue, it's power to reliability, the k18 is just not up to decent long term boost. I had contemplated fitting a k14 with an 1800 crank, which would solve some of the issues, but sadly not the short piston issue. Oo, just seen you have a 1.8 t 25, I bet that shifts?

Last edited by minimutly; 12th February 2017 at 00:08..
Old 12th February 2017, 10:10   #7
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
Well sorry to disagree CP, but one thing I did forget to mention was that the engine will run on lpg
So no worries about emissions
If you're after ultimate performance, then LPG will of course get you around the emissions problem, providing you have certified the system and notified the change to the DVLA, otherwise the computerised MOT system will test it on petrol, as the car left the factory. However, not all automobile engines are suitable for use with LPG as a fuel. LPG provides less upper cylinder lubrication than petrol or diesel, so LPG-fueled engines are more prone to valve wear if they are not suitably modified. Personally, if I were to go the 4 cylinder route for performance in a ZT, I would find an N Series unit out of an MG6, get the head ported and polished and then get the Z&F 204 BHP tune put into it, which I would think is probably enough for a 1.8 engine designed in the late Eighties. However, I await your developments with interest.
Old 12th February 2017, 10:55   #8
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

No not after ultimate performance, but 204 bhp isnt enough. The n séries doesn't address the fundamental flaws in the k wrt turbocharging, there simply isnt enough metal in the right areas. I converted my zt v6 to lpg 3 years ago using a brc kit and it's been faultless since, and with the mileage I do, at the rate I get the only other choice is diesel i accept what you say about valve seat recession (VSR), the t series will need an additive to combat this.
Old 12th February 2017, 11:47   #9
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Price View Post
What rubbish?

That means that all the people I know that are running T-series engines in their modified cars won't pass an MOT.

I can't believe what I read on here sometimes, anyway enough disagreements.

Yes, it can be done and the easiest option would to get the gearbox for the engine rather than trying to make the 1.8 fit.

Last edited by Neil1; 12th February 2017 at 11:48.. Reason: missed out a word
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 11:53   #10
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

Are you referring to T Series engines fitted to cars originally fitted at the factory, or retro fitted into newer vehicles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk