Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd June 2017, 08:08   #1
Shaker
Avid contributor

ZT 260 SE, ZT-T 135+, ZT 160+1.8T, ZS180, ZR115+, 07 2.5 Connie SE

Default Bmw Sat Nav Ice

Hi , I have a BMW sat nav system fitted to my 260, some time ago I had issues with the battery going flat on the car so I eventually changed it for a new one.
Now, the screen on the only shows the BMW splash screen, when I switch on thats all it does I can hear the radio play cd's etc but no visuals on the screen other than the Splash. also where the car is parked its always in the shade so when its cold the inside condenses up glass/boot etc. could this have played a pert? Is there any cure or fix?

Thanks

V8.... Everything else is just a toy!!!
Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2017, 08:17   #2
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Sounds as if the computer / DVD drive unit is faulty, possibly because of water damage. I have the same BMW set-up in my car and the first DVD drive unit I installed didn't work, symptoms were no visuals on the board monitor but the radio, cassette and CD player continued to work, when I swapped the DVD drive unit for another the video was restored, when I removed the cover from the first drive unit, there was signs of water ingress, so it was returned to sender for a full refund. The condensation 'could' be a sign of damp in the cabin, have you checked in the spare wheel well and in the boot for signs of water?
The other possibility is that the video unit in the spare wheel well has be damaged due to water ingress.
Did the new DVD unit ever work properly? Can you swap it for another to eliminate any fault with the original unit (the original Rover 75 CD based unit is a straight 'plug n play' swap)?

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built

Last edited by stevenkeyte; 4th June 2017 at 08:25..
stevenkeyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2017, 06:40   #3
Shaker
Avid contributor

Thanks for that Steve. I'm thinking its had an attack of condensation. I have read on oa post somewhere that if you take the cover off any damage/residue left by moisture can be cleaned off. So I may try that, or try and find the original CD. Is it the DVD drive that looks after the display and controls?
The unit did work, it may have been coincidence that the battery went flat while it was condensated up.
Steve

Old 12th June 2017, 19:22   #4
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

My understanding of the system is that the video module, in the wheel well, generates the video output for the bord monitor in the dash, if this fails, then the sat nav unit has a fall back set-up which produces a poorer quality video output, however, when I had a defective DVD unit, there was no video output to the bord monitor, even though the video module was fully functional, as soon as I swapped the defective DVD unit for a working unit, the video was restored. If I were you, I'd go down the substitution route, try different working units if available to determine where the fault lies, but from what you say I'd say the fault lies in the DVD unit - I wonder if the battery going flat has some how corrupted the firmware in the DVD drive, I know the CD units are very prone to firmware corruption if not powered down correctly, but my understanding is that the DVD units do not have this particular weakness, but perhaps gradual loss of voltage did do some damage to the firmware.

Steve

Born 22nd February 2005, 221st of 239 Starlight Silver 75 Contemporary SE 2.5 V6 automatic saloons built
Old 12th June 2017, 20:20   #5
Shaker
Avid contributor

Thanks Steve,
I tried the old MK3 Cd player and it all worked perfectly.!
I took the cover off the DVD and there were the tell tail signs of water i.e. white powdery deposits, I used some electronics solvent cleaner and a soft toothbrush and scrubbed the deposits off - but it didn't work. So I now need to find someone that can repair the DVD unit.

Old 14th June 2017, 20:40   #6
stevenkeyte
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

I think there are people who advertise repair services on eBay, but it may be cheaper just to source another MkIV drive unit, there are usually plenty on eBay to choose from

Steve