Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd June 2017, 19:54   #1
GordyB
Gets stuck in

ZT, ZT-T

Default Highline ramblings

Hi

My recent purchase has had highline retro fitted which looks a pretty good job, loom CD and sat nav all included and working perfectly. They have also added the saloon HK sub and amp, but don't appear to have upgraded the door speakers or added rear tweeters. They also haven't made the port hole in the rear shelf. So, with this setup I have a few options but I'm after opinions as to which should make the most difference.

My ideas are
Upgrade front door speakers and use the front tweeters in the rear doors
Upgrade the HK sub woofers for Rainbows
Add a BM24/54
Cut the HK sub port in the rear shelf and add a grill
Add a sub in box in the boot with it's own amp
Replace HK amp with something more powerful, maybe 5/6 channels to run all the speakers

I've been running my connie with highline completely standard with the only addition being a 10 inch sub in a box ran on a small Sony 200W amp - just fills the missing bass out nicely. Still doesn't quite get the volume level I want without distortion but the amp is driven by the rear speaker line signals not a pre-amp feed so it's probably the stock amp/tuner in the boot distorting at higher volume. However the ppd connie has rear tweeters as standard and with the sub sounds much better than the new car.

Any ideas what has been tried and what works best?

Thanks

2001 Connie SE Raven Black, CDT - scrapped
2004 ZT-T+ XPG, 1.8T - sold
2002 ZT+ Biomorphic Supertallic #2 of 10, CDT - sold
2004 ZT-T+ Goodwood Aquamarine, CDT - sold
2004 BMW 320d
GordyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 22:48   #2
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

I've been trying to get mine right for years. the HK sub is awful and the amp has an excessively low frequency cut off on the main channels.

I have tried replacing the speakers in the sub as the drive level is so high the standard ones distort at medium volume levels. Even after putting in new woofers the central port only seems to rattle the teeth of rear seat passengers.

By putting better speakers in the doors, adding mid range units in the empty pockets at the top of front door speakers and changing eight capacitors in the HK amp the sound is way better and goes some way to correcting the poor sub performance. Then again hifi is largely a matter of personal taste.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote