Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st March 2017, 19:52   #21
suzublu
MCMLV
 
suzublu's Avatar
 
rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Seaton Carew
Posts: 20,908
Thanks: 13
Thanked 3,691 Times in 2,580 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Hardly likely as he has made 588 posts.-----
OP has made 4 posts John
__________________
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 20:01   #22
COLVERT
2nd oldest member.
 
COLVERT's Avatar
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Newton Abbot / France
Posts: 8,115
Thanks: 1,301
Thanked 552 Times in 486 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
OP has made 4 posts John
Ooooooops

Hurrying I looked at the wrong guys post count.---
__________________
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 20:48   #23
Rotherschild
Newbie
 
ROVER 75 Saloon

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Doncaster
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thank you for all the help and advise I will revisit the site once I'm the proud owner of a Rover 75 V8
Rotherschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 20:53   #24
Christopher Price
Banned
 
None at the moment.

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 758
Thanks: 163
Thanked 230 Times in 152 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotherschild View Post
Thank you for all the help and advise I will revisit the site once I'm the proud owner of a Rover 75 V8
Here's a link to help you, so see you shortly. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2528213037...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 21:09   #25
Forestgreen
Gets stuck in
 
Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6 saloon

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 697
Thanks: 47
Thanked 72 Times in 41 Posts
Default

If your garage renewed the timing belt on a V6 then (a) they should really do the water pump at the same time - if not, the pump will eventually leak and belts need refitting, and (b) they will have just done around £400 worth of work to your car that will stand it in good stead for the next six years. So not sure why you would want to return the car.

The V8 also has belts - only the diesel had a chain. The V8 such as that advertised above is surely an appreciating classic. Whether that justifies paying about 5x the price of a V6 only you can decide.
Forestgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 03:30   #26
Sector-9
Gets stuck in
 
Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: nr. Mansfield
Posts: 645
Thanks: 19
Thanked 136 Times in 111 Posts
Default

The problem is so many traders list Rovers as having BMW or Honda engines even if they haven't because a) Rover engines reputation was ruined by HGF on the K, and b) the general public doesn't know any better (nor can be bothered to check).

I suspect the car was misdescribed - either purposely or through ignorance (which is unacceptable if selling cars is your business), so the OP has every right to return it if he specifically wanted a chain-driven engine, though unless he asks questions here or researches exactly what engines Rover offered in the 75, he'll probably fall for the next wrong advert too.
__________________
Free fault codes scan/clear (TOAF) - M1 J27 area
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 04:49   #27
kaiser
This is my second home
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Johannesburg ZA
Posts: 5,043
Thanks: 0
Thanked 344 Times in 304 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
..........

The V8 also has belts - only the diesel had a chain. ................whether that justifies paying about 5x the price of a V6 only you can decide.
I don't know what to say, but maybe you would be kind enough to let me know which belts on the V8 you are talking about?
__________________
Worth his V8 in gold
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kaiser For This Useful Post:
Old 22nd March 2017, 05:55   #28
Les4048
Posted a thing or two
 
Les4048's Avatar
 
Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lhanbryde
Posts: 1,935
Thanks: 1,302
Thanked 526 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forestgreen View Post
If your garage renewed the timing belt on a V6 then (a) they should really do the water pump at the same time - if not, the pump will eventually leak and belts need refitting, and (b) they will have just done around £400 worth of work to your car that will stand it in good stead for the next six years. So not sure why you would want to return the car.

The V8 also has belts - only the diesel had a chain. The V8 such as that advertised above is surely an appreciating classic. Whether that justifies paying about 5x the price of a V6 only you can decide.
The V8 does not have belts apart from the serpentine one which can be changed in minutes
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:02   #29
Darcydog
This is my second home
 
MG ZT-T

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fordingbridge
Posts: 4,423
Thanks: 1,378
Thanked 1,322 Times in 889 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post
The problem is so many traders list Rovers as having BMW or Honda engines even if they haven't because a) Rover engines reputation was ruined by HGF on the K, and b) the general public doesn't know any better (nor can be bothered to check).

I suspect the car was misdescribed - either purposely or through ignorance (which is unacceptable if selling cars is your business), so the OP has every right to return it if he specifically wanted a chain-driven engine, though unless he asks questions here or researches exactly what engines Rover offered in the 75, he'll probably fall for the next wrong advert too.
You are so right on this - but ignorance is not just with car salespeople - I have seen Discovery Td5's described as having BMW engines. And I have read a newspaper motoring page review that actually stated that the Td5 was a BMW unit.

The Td4 (M47 derivative) and the Td6 (six cylinder used in the P38 RR) were BMW units but the 5 cylinder Td5 was a Land Rover designed unit.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2017, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd