Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st April 2008, 17:44   #1
moumtainmac

rover 75 conosieur

Default rover 75 connoiserur clutch problems

Hi
I have a Rover 75 connoiseur 2001 model, when i started the car up the other day and i pressed the clutch pedal down there was no pressure whatsoever. The car is now in the garage and has had a new master clutch cylinder fitted but the problem is still there and so is my car. Does anyone know what the problem could be? as the garage are now saying they are going to have to take the gearbox out. The car has done 105000 miles and has a full service history

Ian
moumtainmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 17:49   #2
Simon
Banned

-

to the Club!

Classic clutch failure. Seeing as you have replaced the master cylinder then the next course of action is the slave cylinder which resides inside the gearbox itself. Removal (at least partial) of the 'box is required for access. It is also worth replacing the clutch plates during this procedure as contamination from clutch fluid can happen - most people will recommend this as a matter of course as you might have to replace the clutch plates later at more expense so you might as well get them done now.

One of our members has just done his own slave cylinder and clutch plate change. I'll find the thread...

EDIT: Here it is http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=18467

Last edited by Simon; 1st April 2008 at 17:50.. Reason: Found URL
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008, 18:25   #3
moumtainmac

rover 75 conosieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
to the Club!

Classic clutch failure. Seeing as you have replaced the master cylinder then the next course of action is the slave cylinder which resides inside the gearbox itself. Removal (at least partial) of the 'box is required for access. It is also worth replacing the clutch plates during this procedure as contamination from clutch fluid can happen - most people will recommend this as a matter of course as you might have to replace the clutch plates later at more expense so you might as well get them done now.

One of our members has just done his own slave cylinder and clutch plate change. I'll find the thread...

EDIT: Here it is http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=18467
Many thanks for the info, any idea of cost for this type of job
Old 1st April 2008, 18:28   #4
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

It depends how honest the garage is....I would strongly recomend speaking to one of the trade members on here called LATES before letting them do anymore work, he will give you and honest opinion....

If you are handy with the spanners...why not do it yourself?

Ps. welcome....Dont forget to look us up when your car is running sweetly....we are a freindly bunch here!

Jamie
Old 1st April 2008, 21:51   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Bad news Ian I trust Garage will not be charging you for their incorrect diagnosis.

It really is not that hard to work out which end has failed

three steps

Add fluid if required
look for leaks
replace leaking end

If no leaks at all suspect master internal seals which can be checked by attaching a sacrificial external slave

I Did this on Saturday to prove the point to an owner he had been quoted the usual garage full house i.e Master, Slave, Friction plate, Pressure plate, DMF etc

All he probably needs is slave and friction plate as the car had only done 50k

PS no I don't do clutches for people to much like hard graft for not enough money!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 18:58   #6
moumtainmac

rover 75 conosieur

Angry rover 75

Hi
Thanks for very ones help in this mater, the car is now fixed cost me £800

regards

ian
Old 10th October 2011, 21:40   #7
florin

rover 75

Default hy guys

i am new arround here so hello to all the lads.i have a problem....my rover needs slave and master cilinders changed so i want to know if the clutch is always contaminated or i might be lucky and get away only with the cilinders.thank you
florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 21:46   #8
PEPPER953
Avid contributor

Rover75

You could be lucky but do you want the cost of doing the job again
in a few months
as i said the clutch could be fine
would depend on the state its in
trying to be helpfull
PEPPER953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 12:55   #9
Fred West

Rover 75

Thumbs up Rover 75 clutch problem solved.

Go to Halfords, get a Gunston Eazybleed for £20. Pull the brass nut off the end of the tube. Force fit the end of the tube into the tube that goes on the bleed nipple. Connect Eazybleed to spare tyre (make sure pressure is no more than 20 psi) spray brake fluid all over engine compartment until tube is pushed securely onto nipple. Check there are no air bubbles in line, undo nipple. Now go inside car, slowly undo the lid on top of the clutch master cylinder (access to this is gained by removing the pedal cover and dash trim, just two screws and two toggles at the back and it all pulls out) until fluid gushes out. Quickly do it up again. Close the nipple. Job done. Your car will stink of brake fluid for the next month, but at least it's not going to the scrap yard.
There you go that's that bit of built in obsilesance beaten

Last edited by Fred West; 16th February 2016 at 12:58.. Reason: naughty word
Fred West is offline   Reply With Quote