Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd March 2017, 15:54   #1
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Brake pads light

Yesterday after tightening my throttle cable a bit to get a better throttle response, I also sprayed with WD40 the part there the cable connects to the throttle body so that the cable moves a little more freely, and after turning the car on and taking it for a ride to see the throttle response, the brake pads light on the ipk came on, now I don't know that what I have done would have something to do with the brake pads, but waiting for your thoughts.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 20:22   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I'd say it's most likely a coincidence. The brake wear sensor typically pops its message several thousand miles before the pads actually give up. Worth a physical check though, because not necessarily all the pads wear at the rate suggested by the front and rear sensors.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 07:18   #3
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Yesterday I took out the pads for a lookover and guess what, all looking like barely used, and for sure not worn such in a way that the brake lights should be going on because of that, anyone thinking what else could it be? Maybe a sensor is "worn" or a cable is not making good contact, anything else than that I couldn't imagine.
Old 6th March 2017, 07:31   #4
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

As you say, probably a sensor fault. Check all the plugs for tightness, check that the little wrap around metal clip is on the sensor end, check for breaks in the wire with a tester if you have one.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 08:25   #5
kbonney88
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Tourer & 75 Saloons

I too expect it will be a coincidence.. as I have never had the brake pad warning light come on for anything other than the pads or cable related. I assume that you checked both front and back pads/cables?

Kev
kbonney88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2017, 15:35   #6
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes I have inspected both back and front pads and they look smooth and just barely barely worn, but anyways not that much that it would make the warning light pop on the screen, so that's why I'll check now the sensors too if they are good plugged and if the metal clips are in their place, but what else can I check regarding the sensors? And what about the cables, how do I test that though?
Old 28th March 2017, 19:56   #7
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Does anyone have a sensor clip please? My caliper jammed, got so hot it melted the sensor. Have done the brakes and already had the replacement sensor clipped up in the wheelarch ready to go but no clip?? Please, pretty please!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
I'd say it's most likely a coincidence. The brake wear sensor typically pops its message several thousand miles before the pads actually give up. Worth a physical check though, because not necessarily all the pads wear at the rate suggested by the front and rear sensors.

TC
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote