Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2014, 18:16   #1
Bodger24
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Default How can a thing of such beauty be a huge pile of junk

This is truly the worst car I have ever owned in my life. I looks gorgeous, it is comfortable to sit in, but that is the biggest problem - a lot of time is spent sitting in the damn thing because it is incapable of going anywhere.

9 months now and endless problems with the engine & cooling system. In fact I had to have a reconditioned engine fitted in January after the last one dumped all of its coolant and cooked the engine.

The last two weeks have been bliss. Not a drop of coolant lost until today. A short 6 mile journey, noticed steam from the bonnet at traffic lights, pulled in to find coolant pouring out of expansion tank cap. Waited for it to cool, topped up and did the return journey with no loss.
Later in the day on another local journey I got caught in a little bit of traffic and hey presto! Doing a pretty good impression of the Flying Scotsman! This time not coming from the cap but still plenty of steam from somewhere.
The heap had lost 2 litres from somewhere.

If I hadn't spent so much trying to get the thing right I would gladly put a match to it!! My Lada Estate was ultra reliable in comparison, and my Vectra was a positive supercar.

I really think that I need to end the nightmare and part company with Rover. I am even considering a Nissan Micra!!
Bodger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 18:21   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Have you checked the cooling fan is operating properly ?

If you have coolant coming out of the cap, are the seals ok ?
(I realise it may have released coolant due to excessive pressure but it's worth checking)
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 18:32   #3
Bodger24
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

It was a new cap 2 weeks ago, henceforth the couple of weeks with no loss. When I have tried to bleed the system It has never got to the stage when the fan kicks in as it should according to the MG Rover technical bulletin. But the fan does work on Auto & Demist settings. It surely is not rocket science to make a waterproof cooling system on a car, even my 1969 Series 2A Landrover never lost a drop. I have to check this thing sometimes twice a day I am so paranoid
Old 21st March 2014, 18:36   #4
steveo
I really should get out more.......

None

Default Over heating

Hi
Thermostat
Prt or normal

IMHO first place to start
I would also installed one that opens at 82 degrees

Speaking from experience (previous car 1.8t)
Been there and got 20 tee shirts
Regards
Steve
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 18:50   #5
eumjmorris
Loves to post

R75 now just two diesel tourers

but you dont seem to tell us which engine?
eumjmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 18:54   #6
Bodger24
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

No idea what thermostat is fitted to be honest, how could I find out? All the advice given in the forums says that if the coolant is checked regularly, which I do as I say virtually every morning, the 1.8 a reliable engine! I have known more reliable polititions!
Old 21st March 2014, 19:14   #7
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodger24 View Post
No idea what thermostat is fitted to be honest, how could I find out? All the advice given in the forums says that if the coolant is checked regularly, which I do as I say virtually every morning, the 1.8 a reliable engine! I have known more reliable polititions!
The later PRT thermostat was fitted from around mid 2003, earlier cars had a standard stat fitted at rear of engine. The PRT is visible below the radiator on your right as you look at front of engine, the actual stat is contained in the white bit as shown here:

See DMGRS for replacement stats, standard is shown K-series engine parts page 1, PRT type page 2

Last edited by chipsceola; 21st March 2014 at 21:15.. Reason: Links added
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 19:19   #8
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

The 1.8 is a reliable engine, with respect, you can replace an engine as many times as you like, but if a fault exists elsewhere which is causing it to overheat, such as a faulty thermostat, it will damage that one too.

The PRT thermostat would be at the bottom of the engine bay just in front of the gearbox, you should be able to see it with a torch from the top, alternatively you'd need to take the under-tray off, which provides easy access to it.

Another common issue is that mechanics end up fitting two thermostats, because they aren't aware of the PRT. So if you have a PRT, ideally you need to drain the coolant and check to see if someone has installed the standard thermostat in the housing behind the engine, under the inlet manifold. If you have the PRT, you MUST NOT have the original type fitted as well.

I'm sure another member will be along shortly with more advice, or even a trader who may be able to help you with getting it sorted properly.

The PRT is the biege coloured item in the photograph below, it will have three hoses going to it. The colour should denote the operating temperature, they are usually biege, some are black.

neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 19:33   #9
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I really don't see any problems even if you have two thermostats in the system, provided they work. It obviously does not make any sense to have two units, but it should not lead to overheating.

there are a couple of things that can do that, and they are:

1 lack of coolant
2 faulty fan
3 head gasket failure
4 stuck closed thermostat
5 faulty water pump (impeller loose on shaft or worn)

that, of the top of my head will cause overheating.
The problem is, which one have you got.?

My guess is lack of coolant. I would drive with the screen showing the engine temperature. T-cut has given a how to on that issue.

And you are right, the 1.8 is not a reliable engine. TOYOTA make those. But the 1.8 can be made tolerably reliable. However, you can never, ever turn your back on it, or it might attack you from behind. So enter the ring with a whip and a chair, and you might be able to live with it! But that is about it!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 19:34   #10
Bodger24
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for that, it certainly gives me food for thought. I will have a look tomorrow. I just can't understand how the fault is so erratic, sometimes it loses coolant, sometimes it doesn't. I have always took care of my cars, I don't thrash them about, I am no mechanic but I have them regularly serviced. This was my dream car, I always wanted one from the first time I saw one. It has been such a demoralising experience.