Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th August 2016, 12:04   #1
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts
Default Fireworks?

Has anyone shot fireworks? I will attempt this for the first time on the 29th August at the Edinburgh Fireworks show. I will start watching YouTube videos for advise. Hope I can get a decent shot or two.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 12:39   #2
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Never done it but they can look great in an image.

I use YouTube all the time to improve my knowledge. I had not though it of it until now but it is so easy to gain knowledge these days using the web. So much better than when I was younger. Of course books were available but now information on almost any subject is just a click away.

I also prefer a video to reading but that is just personal preference.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 13:08   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Has anyone shot fireworks? I will attempt this for the first time on the 29th August at the Edinburgh Fireworks show. I will start watching YouTube videos for advise. Hope I can get a decent shot or two.
Best to use a 12 Bore,I tried once with a 22. But did not do very well

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 19:27   #4
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Looking forward to the photos Rav
Old 18th August 2016, 20:41   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
Yes, but I dont have the patience or the interest to shoot many I am afraid. A sturdy, as in rock solid tripod is a must, (I prefer not to extend the legs, as these can quiver and will show as squiggles in your fireworks) as is multiple batteries and a remote release.

If your camera has mirror lock up, practice using it between now and then with your remote release.

Plan as much as you can. How long is the show going to be, and how many fireworks will be let off and approximately where. This will give you a bit of time to set up. Remove any filters you have, and make your lenses meticulously clean.

Depending on the time of night, the light will drop quickly, and remember artificial light may creep into the shot in the form of light pollution.

A wider angle lens will be better than a telephoto. Be aware of surrounding buildings that will add or detract from the shot. Try to scout out positions before hand. Preferably with as few people as possible (because of the long shutter speeds they will show as a blur).

Dont use an ISO above 400 if you can avoid it, because of the dark skies, any noise will become immediately visible. I would suggest staring with an aperture of f14 and working to 32. Shutter speeds of between 5 and 10 seconds. Remember too, when using the lock up, press the shutter release first, then wait for at least 1 second, before pressing again to trip the shutter.

I prefer to switch off any noise reduction in camera, as this will slow down your camera, by 100%. Take a 10 second shot, it will take another 10 second dark shot to blend it, then it can affect the fireworks. Shoot in RAW and do any noise reduction in Lightroom/Photoshop/DXO or whatever software you use.

Timing is very difficult, sometimes you will trip the shutter when you see a firework going off, but it will be uninspiring, and just as the shutter is closing a second more impressive one shoots up lol. A way around this is, a dark card method. Lock your shutter open using the remote release, and B (bulb) mode. This method will also allow you to get multiple fireworks into the shot. Get a plastic tub something light, with a larger diameter to the lens, painted matt black. After each firework, cover the lens with the tub, gently, keeping it in B, when the next firework fires, remove the tub again. A dark thick cloth will work also, but be careful not to get it caught when removing it, and topple the camera!

Experiment if you can the night before, at the same time, to give you an idea of how the sky will look.

I will post a few of my only 'considered' attempt at fireworks, once I find them, along with reasons why I thought they were not good enough to even edit.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 00:40   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

too much dead space (the original was even worse!) cropped to give a slight panoramic effect.

Cut out the middle, and shifted to the left. Still doesnt rescue it.

The colours are just too orange, because of the street lighting. But you get the idea. My problem is impatience, and I didnt research this at all.

The whole display lasted maybe 15 minutes, and I was confident that I could rescue most of the images, but wasnt to be, which is why I mention the research and experiment.

There are others, attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fireworks-8172.jpg (49.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8172compressed.jpg (29.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8173.jpg (20.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8174.jpg (34.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8177.jpg (35.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8177-3.jpg (37.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8179.jpg (48.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 19th August 2016, 00:47   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Make sure too the legs on your tripod are tight, very tight! I didnt notice one of mine started to slip (Calumet one is now replaced with a Giottos, with a Manfrotto head). If your tripod is not very stable, or quite light, try a camera bag, or something else hung onto the hook in the centre pole.

to this

I played around with these images, trying to do something with them, but if I have to do more than three or four editing moves, then it is not good enough.

There simply isnt enough of the fireworks to make it worthwhile. If you can contact the organisers, they may have a timetable and guide of what to expect, to help in your preparation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg original-8172.jpg (25.3 KB, 36 views)

Old 19th August 2016, 00:59   #8
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

from 40 shots, I got three or four images, which are OK-ish when cropped (and leveled) - not a good enough hit rate for my liking lol.

I hope my mistakes, help you see what to look out for - good luck!

The one that I liked most from that evening is not even a firework shot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fireworks-8179.jpg (48.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8181.jpg (57.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg fireworks-8193.jpg (39.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (44.6 KB, 38 views)

Old 19th August 2016, 09:41   #9
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Cheers. I'll try and get some practise I'm beforehand and have already started to scout out some locations. I think I may go up Calton Hill, Edinburgh. I will google some shots of precious displays to see where is best.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016, 19:58   #10
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

A few of mine from a long time ago. There should be some exif data but I found the weather played a massive part. The chances of no wind is slim. The photos on Flickr are quite small so when viewed large the quality isn't as good as the 'sharp' full size versions
https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote