Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 16th August 2019, 06:11   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.timms View Post
Thanks for all the info. Update!
Yes, my memory is shocking - if it happened after 1975 I'm in trouble . . . .

I just remembered, the Webasto worked fine for years, then died and I had it replaced with one from eBay last year - I'm wondering if it's a different type, and this is the root of the problem? How do I tell, please? There are two plugs on the Webasto: one has 2 wires - black and orange. The other has three wires in a line left to right - blue, white, grey/green, and a 4th brown below the blue. The blue has been cut, and connected to a (green!) wire that has been added, going through the illuminated switch to earth. I did say I have memory problems :-(

The unit fires up, heats for 10 minutes then switches itself off if I press the switch, but the illuminated switch was half coming on sporadically - it now stays on "dim" all the time, irrespective of the ignition switch. There is no separate supply - the light is in the switch, and illuminates when it is "on". Is there a fuse I can remove as a temporary solution?

I'm not able to do much myself, and am having trouble finding an electrician to look at it - is there anyone I can pay to sort it if I come to you, please?
I think the satnav (yes, it was a typo!) issue is unrelated - the satnav wire plugs into a cigarette lighter socket wired to the battery, but this is dangling on top of the plastic cover above the pedals, next to the place where the Webasto switch is mounted, so maybe I disturbed it trying to investigate the Webasto?
on the side of the webasto should be a sticker with the model number, post the model number here for advice on which pin to earth.

I'd be tempted to disconnect all "add on's" so the FBH can be tested as a stand alone item.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 06:15   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. Update!
Yes, my memory is shocking - if it happened after 1975 I'm in trouble . . . .

I just remembered, the Webasto worked fine for years, then died and I had it replaced with one from eBay last year - I'm wondering if it's a different type, and this is the root of the problem? How do I tell, please? There are two plugs on the Webasto: one has 2 wires - black and orange. The other has three wires in a line left to right - blue, white, grey/green, and a 4th brown below the blue. The blue has been cut, and connected to a (green!) wire that has been added, going through the illuminated switch to earth. I did say I have memory problems :-(

The unit fires up, heats for 10 minutes then switches itself off if I press the switch, but the illuminated switch was half coming on sporadically - it now stays on "dim" all the time, irrespective of the ignition switch. There is no separate supply - the light is in the switch, and illuminates when it is "on". Is there a fuse I can remove as a temporary solution?

I'm not able to do much myself, and am having trouble finding an electrician to look at it - is there anyone I can pay to sort it if I come to you, please?
I think the satnav (yes, it was a typo!) issue is unrelated - the satnav wire plugs into a cigarette lighter socket wired to the battery, but this is dangling on top of the plastic cover above the pedals, next to the place where the Webasto switch is mounted, so maybe I disturbed it trying to investigate the Webasto?
pm sent

macafee2
Old 16th August 2019, 08:59   #13
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

If you can get yourself to the next nano Meet we can sort it free of charge, re post above its not pin 6 as that's the dosing pump, early FBHs are pin 1 to live to start as a parking heater and may even have a 5 minute
delay before pin 4 becomes active as they were designed to do to bring on the ATC, the later FBHs as said above need pin 3 to earth to start as a parking heater and pin 4 will become live only when the FBH is on

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 09:18   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

You really need to have a talk to Devilish. Drop him a p.m through the club site. He is the local expert along with Trebor. He/ they will tell you everything about the fbh you want to know.Devilish fitted my friends switch, while Trebor fitted mine. Experts.
Trebor beat me to it. Nice ride out from Wisbech to the nano. Dates 14 and15th of September.If you want there are plenty of places to stay for the night local. Come and meet some enthusiastic members..

Last edited by bl52krz; 16th August 2019 at 09:28.. Reason: Trebor posted just before me.
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 09:35   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
You really need to have a talk to Devilish. Drop him a p.m through the club site. He is the local expert along with Trebor. He/ they will tell you everything about the fbh you want to know.Devilish fitted my friends switch, while Trebor fitted mine. Experts.
Trebor beat me to it. Nice ride out from Wisbech to the nano.
Quote:
Dates 14 and15th of September.If you want there are plenty of places to stay for the night local. Come and meet some enthusiastic members..
Here is the link to the Nano meet for September I put it up yesterday

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=298399

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 12:00   #16
alan.timms
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the info. McAfee2 is in my area next week and may be able to help, but I'll try to get to the meeting, even if it's sorted - it would be good to meet someone else that loves Rover 75's!
alan.timms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2019, 21:52   #17
trebor
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE & MG ZT Saloon 190

Thanked 1,877 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the info. McAfee2 is in my area next week and may be able to help, but I'll try to get to the meeting, even if it's sorted - it would be good to meet someone else that loves Rover 75's!
well if you dont get it sorted, happy to take a look if you make the nano meet

Robs Car Gallery

Coven near Wolverhampton WV9

2000 Cowley Built Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE/ Atlantic Blue/ Sandstone/Walnut (daily driver)
2003 Land Rover Freelander 1 TD4 HSE Helsinki Blue/Black Leather (swmbo daily driver)
trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2019, 10:50   #18
alan.timms
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

The Webasto label says:
top:e1 then 021232
under the bar code: Nr. 1B268954
2003 2004
My memory doesn't work properly, but I'm pretty sure the issues started when I had the broken Webasto swapped, so it seems logical the replacement is a different type.
Old 17th August 2019, 11:42   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
The Webasto label says:
top:e1 then 021232
under the bar code: Nr. 1B268954
2003 2004
My memory doesn't work properly, but I'm pretty sure the issues started when I had the broken Webasto swapped, so it seems logical the replacement is a different type.
pm sent asking for another line on label to be checked as well as the end of the fbh

macafee2
Old 18th August 2019, 08:26   #20
alan.timms
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

I managed to get to the labels!
Rover 75 JEC 104590, Artikel No: 98570B
My wiring has been altered - the blue wire from the plug has been cut and goes to an illuminated earth switch. Did this suit my original unit, but not the current one? If so, how should it be wired, please?