Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th July 2012, 21:34   #21
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Drivers side sunroof drain tube fixed

Sunday the 8th July 2012 we finaly got a bit of sun that lasted more than 15mins and i was able to tackle the drivers side sunroof drainage tube to get to this you need to remove a few items to gain access so the hose connector can be added, photo's below.
First remover the panel under the steering wheel two posidrive screws and then it unclips Fig 1

Next remove the lower panel this time two screws and a couple of plastic flat head clips which also unscrew not pulled off Fig 2-3

These are only hand tight so easy to unscrew

You now need to unscrew the light switch three posi as shown in these Fig 4-6

This can then just dangle loose no need to unplug it this mainly for seeing the drain tube through and also rodding it before fitting the hose connector shown in later pics

You now need to remove the little panel which holds the OBD wiring this also make for easy access to the drain tube three posidrive screws Fig7-8

This little panel will drop down allowing you to unplug the wire loom from it two clips either side Fig 9- 10

With this removed you can now see all the wiring behind this is the sunroof drain tube top right corner Fig 11-1

This photo show the drain tube pulled out you can just make out all the muck inside the outlet tube to the inner drivers side wing and the PTF tape used to hold it in what a joke that is, Fig 13

I now have to rod the muck out i use a 10mm plumbers pipe spring which is perfect for the as you can see in these pics this is the reason for removing the light switch earlier as it line up with the outlet tube Fig 14-15

Twist and push this slowly until it goes right through past the ducks bill flap behind the bulk head and into the wheel arch later on i will show how its best to cut of this ducks bill.

After cleaning out the muck from the outlet tube i cleaned out the sunroof tube using a net curtain wire with a domed screw in the end i got my wife to feed it through to me once through i pulled my way then she pulled back making sure it was clear of any debris. Fig 16-17

here you can see how it as come through to me also note the PTF tape used to hold in the tube originally only by 15mm utter rubbish

This is the hose connector i use to join the sunroof drain pipe to the outlet tube hopefully you can make it out against the white rubber glove Fig 18

Remove the silly PTF tape and push the sunroof drain tube into the connector by 50mm or more if you like but 50mm is enough Fig 19

once pushed in offer this up to the outlet tube and insert it up to the stop on the connector you will need to smear it with vaseline so it helps fit without any effort and stop you from pushing the outlet tube through the bulk head job done. Fig 20

Now replace all the items in reverse of moving i will tackle the rear one in a later post cheers Arctic. :thumbsup:

PS remember the ducks bill in the wheel arch
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...118622&page=15

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 2nd January 2022 at 10:50..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 17:44   #22
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

Great stuff; will tackle this one this weekend. Done the passenger side last; ended up using extra flexible acid free silicone. Will be regularly flushing to avoid build up in the tubes. Done an under carpet inspection and it looks ok and only minor damp. Certainly not looking like the mega tonnes of water so REALLY glad I did this quickly. Thanks for your excellent advise and photos!

Last edited by Thomas; 9th July 2012 at 17:45.. Reason: FAQ Rule 2
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 19:22   #23
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfDave View Post
Great stuff; will tackle this one this weekend. Done the passenger side last; ended up using extra flexible acid free silicone. Will be regularly flushing to avoid build up in the tubes. Done an under carpet inspection and it looks ok and only minor damp. Certainly not looking like the mega tonnes of water so REALLY glad I did this quickly. Thanks for your excellent advise and photos!
My pleasure dont forget the rear ones tackled that today photo's to follow shortly Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 9th July 2012, 19:29   #24
ProfDave
This is my second home

ZTT, Contemp Saloon, Duotone Tourer

no will not forget these; will do as soon as I can. I am still amazed that someone actually thought it acceptable to wind some tape around a pipe to make it secure (particularly for a drain!!). Unbelievable. Surprising that they ever worked at all!!
ProfDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 19:54   #25
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Only a British manufacturer could put push fit water drains, right next to all those electrical components!

Excellent work again, Arctic, you really are a star!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 23:51   #26
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
Only a British manufacturer could put push fit water drains, right next to all those electrical components!

Excellent work again, Arctic, you really are a star!
Hi Mark
The mod i have done would have taken no time at all from the off when the cars were coming down the production line utter stupidity on Rover part rear sunroof drainage tube in the next post cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 9th July 2012, 23:54   #27
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Default Rear Sunroof Drainage Tube's Modified

Monday 9/7/2012 luckily we had another dry day with some sunny periods so i was able to take care of the two rear sunroof drainage tubes, mind this is no five minute job as most the rear luggage area as to be removed along with the Cd chnager should you have one fitted this is on a Tourer a saloon is a little easier but again i can not reiterate enough if you have a sunroof and you check you carpets by lifting the edge and it is dry no damp patches or no damp to touch carpets do not wait to do this mod or you too could end up having to take out your interior and more.
below you will see how you have to remove the side panels from the tourer to get to the sunroof drain tubes over each rear wheel arch very time consuming here we go.
Start by removing the plastic cover on the tailgate lock pull up carefully it is held in by plastic clips the same as the door cards.Fig 1

Next remove the tourer cover and undo the two torx screws which retain the cover and lock it into place do this both sides Fig 2

2b

Now remove the posidrive screw from the net hook either side of each rear side window panel and remove Fig 3-4

next remove the cubbyhole panel each side if you have them Fig 5

Now turn your attention to the floor hooks using a small screwdriver flip up the little plastic panel covering the two torx bolts, it just flips up and out easy Fig 6

now exposed you can undo and remove these again both side Fig 7-8

You will also have to remove the rear deeper ones on each side of the panels Fig 9

Now lift the luggage floor panel to remove the two posidrive screw hold the side panel to the floor both sides Fig 10

now most of the screws and bolts have been removed pull the taligate rubber from the the panels that need to be removed for the next step Fig 11

Now you can remove the top side panel both sides Fig 12

Then you can remove the lower longer side panel Fig 13

There are a few more bolt fixing to remove before we can completely remove the solid moulded panel cover the sunroof drain tube etc. 10mm four in all Fig 14

14b

Two at the top of the panel Fig 15

The last one of the four 10mm bolts you need to remove the rear seat side squab it just pulls up to expose the bolt do not miss this or you will break the side panel Fig 16-17

This is it the black one

Now go back and remove the cover lock holder from which you earlier removed two torx bolts this pulls upwards Fig 18

With this removed you get your first glimpse of the sunroof drain tube Fig 19

We are not far from removing the solid moulded side panel now but first split the diesel or petrol puller wire apart or the panel will not release also you you could break this wire Fig 20-21

You can now tease the side panel down and remove it to one side safely Fig 22

Now if you have a CD changer you will need to undo and set this out of the way by removing four 8mm bolts Fig 23

With the Cd changer removed to one side it exposes the sunroof drainage tube finaly you can just make out that white PTF tape what is all that about ? Fig 24

This is the passengers side which i had removed ealier Fig 25

Now you can remove the tube ready for it to be joined with the hose connector after the outlet tube as been rodded Fig 26

Passenger side with connector in view before fitting Fig 27

Both outlet tubes should be rodded to make sure they are clear from muck etc i use a 8mm plumbers pipe bending spring as this is ideal Fig 28-29

Once you are happy the outlet tube is clear you will need to lubricate the end of the sunroof drain tube also inside the outlet tube with some vaseline Fig 30

Insert the sunroof tube into the hose connector by 50mm minimum then the connector into the outlet tube 30mm to the connectors stop point both sides Fig 31-32

Push both connectors fully home and the mod is finished why could Rover not have done this Fig 33-34

All that is left to do now is refit all panels etc in reverse.

So please be advised check you carpets by pulling back and lifting at each door front and rear also feel if carpet is damp if you have a sunroof and if dry do this mod without fail or you risk all the work of removing the interior as i had to.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED PLEASE TAKE HEED. Arctic :thumbsup:

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 17th March 2020 at 21:45..
Old 10th July 2012, 00:04   #28
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Good stuff Steve
I did exactly the same job last week on front and rears of a Tourer in Aylesbury.
(while staying at Sisters!!)
The owner was flabbergasted that there were indeed 4 drains from his sunroof.

Also siliconed his 7 white skuttle panel clips below windscreen for good measure

Give me a saloon to do instead anyday

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2012, 00:15   #29
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Good stuff Steve
I did exactly the same job last week on front and rears of a Tourer in Aylesbury.
(while staying at Sisters!!)
The owner was flabbergasted that there were indeed 4 drains from his sunroof.

Also siliconed his 7 white skuttle panel clips below windscreen for good measure

Give me a saloon to do instead anyday
Hi Jules did you use the 5/8= 16mm hose connectors as i have these fit perfect tight no chance of coming loose, also did they have the water pool i had i think there will be a lot of members get caught out with this and the weather we are having some will not be able to tackle this on their own i am sad to say or think.

ad altiora tendo.

Last edited by Arctic; 21st August 2012 at 00:31..
Old 10th July 2012, 08:11   #30
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

No Steve just an industrial silicone at the nozzle unions, having first cut the closed ends off. (rechecked one recently I did 3 years ago which was still in tact)
Goes against the grain really cutting a one way valve off (like plenum tubes) but it does stopthem getting blocked long term.

Might try your unions though as some tubes seem shorter than others which end up falling out.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote