Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st March 2007, 21:25   #21
Timbo.P6
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR T SE WITH MISSING SATNAV ROVER P6 2000 SC

we could do more than one days convoy if there are two,one the Saturday and the Sunday as we,re going down on the Friday
Timbo.P6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 23:16   #22
The Yellow Peril
Posted a thing or two

Primrose Yellow 75 V6 Conn SE

Default Bristol Traffic

As someone who regularly visits relatives who live on the outskirts of Bristol, (Farrington Gourney) I suggest that any attempt to drive in convoy around the Bristol ring road at 10.00 am is expecting a lot. The traffic congestion in the area at that time of day is ususally pretty high, also the route from Bristol to the site will take at least one hour. If we did this and people didn't have good road maps or Sat Nav, then regulations permitting mobile telephones could be used to ensure that we keep together-ish

If we met at Strensham on the M5 at 9.00am, and left no later than 9.15, I think we would still be hard pushed to make it for 11.00. It can often take over an hour to get from Strensham Svcs to Paulton (nr Midsommer Norton) as the A37 is a very busy road.

I have two possible routes

Route 1:
M5, M4J18, A46, A36, A361, A359, slightly longer but probably quicker

Route 2:
M5 M32J1, A4174, A4175 (back towards Bristol), A37 (past Shepton Mallet), A37 to A303 then A359 to Haynes.

I personall would aim to leave Birmingham at 07.30, getting to Strensham for 8.30 and kicking off in convoy at 9.00.
The Yellow Peril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 00:10   #23
andy
Avid contributor

ZT-T cdti automatic

Count me in for Strensham (I live just south of Tewkesbury ) I just need to find out if I can get in the 'back door' otherwise I will have to go up to 7 and back down, might just hang around on the bridge at 9 and tag on as you all go past

I agree with Andygz about timings - my guess is a very good two hours from Strensham ( havent checked milage, just guessing from past experience )

I would suggest M5 to j18 avonmouth, then A4, A37

My opinion is that the centers of Bristol or Bath are best avoided, with route above we would probably be through Cribbs causeway before the Sunday congestion, the A4 is not too bad (!!!!!) and we are stuck with the A37 anyway

Andy
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 09:36   #24
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

OK lets agree Strensham services as stopping point number one, arrive whenever leave 09:00

Aim is to get to Haynes for 11:00 but who cares if we don't quite, it is a day out not a race

I was in Bristol a few weeks ago, serious redevelopment at the end of the road off the M32 and down to Temple way meant I ended up going off in a tangent.
I had not assumed going through on a Sunday would be as problematic but I certainly don't fancy finding out the hard way so agree, avoiding Bristol is a good idea.

As for the route around it we have a couple of weeks to work on that one depending on where others might be coming from what we probably ought to consider is, is there a suitable stopping point further down say around 10:30 to 10:45 where others may want join up or to regroup perhaps at the Podimore roundabout where the A37 joins the A303 if anyone is coming that way from the South West

Or if there is no one from the South West is there any value in leaving the A37 and taking the A371 ,A359 for the last 10 or 12 miles through Castle Cary and waiting somewhere along there for a few minutes as it cuts out about 5 miles from the route as well

Anyway I will leave you to ponder and will be back online this evening
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:02   #25
Tom Collins
Posted a thing or two

Mondeo 2.0 cdti Ghia Auto

According to the AA route planner, it says take the M5 all the way to J25, then A358 and A303.
Tom Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 11:05   #26
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Who's staying behind to look after the Shop?

Take your Laptops & 3G cards to Post any great Moments for us that have to be away working.

Dam really going to miss this!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 14:46   #27
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

I am sorry Y'all...I have been a little pre-occupied with a minor Crisis at work....but its great to see the idea has taken root!!!

It looks like we have a CONvoyyyyy.....breaker breaker...(and all that)

See you all at the Service station....can I suggest everyone puts their ticket in the rear window...so that if we pass on the way to the service station we can start bunching together?

As Keith pointed out...it s probably a good idea if we all stick to the speed limit hey?

Jamie (Tired & stressed but picking up my New bike tomorow!!!!!)
Old 2nd March 2007, 14:58   #28
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker in a suit View Post
can I suggest everyone puts their ticket in the rear window...so that if we pass on the way to the service station we can start bunching together?
Good idea that.

As Keith suggests, all those from North of Stensham Services arrive to depart (as Convoy) at 9.00am.

As for route through/past Bristol, I haven't driven round there in a long time (and that was only once or twice). I suggest someone more local to the area gives us a bit of input as to a prefered route through the area.

I'm without on-board navigation (no TomTom or such like and no passengers) so I'll be looking at the map just the once before I set off and then relying on everyone else to not get lost
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2007, 22:04   #29
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

Can't make it to the meet but will be at Strensham for 9 to take some pictures!!!!!
Old 2nd March 2007, 22:07   #30
Simon
Banned

-

That's very very kind of you!

Shame you can't make it to the meet tho
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote