Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Events and Meets
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th December 2006, 17:52   #1
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Default Si Senior, there they go...100 lorries in a row!

Had an idea...I dont get many so bear with me......

A year or two ago a local Truck manufacturer (ERF) moved 8 miles to new premises and.... as a tribute to the brand they organised a 100 lorry Convoy..... the convoy included Classic Trucks, New Models, old Models and Owner Drivers.....It was an amazing sight.

Keith and I have already had a a quick chat about organising a small ish convoy from the North west meeting up with another smallish convoy from the midlands for the 4th meeting down at the Haynes Museum.....but...............How feasable do you think it would be to organise an official 100+ convoy for the event?

Imagine the spectacle! I would think even the Media would be interested in something of those prortions.

Am I dreaming or is it possible?

Jamie
Old 30th December 2006, 18:20   #2
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

I think it could be done - what you would need is a number of meeting up points along the routes with very specific timings and a designated person in each point in mobile phone contact with the rest in the chain to co-ordinate the groups coming together as the convoy progressed to the destination ...

So first decide on a number of staging posts and a possible route and see how many people could make those staging posts to see if you have any chance of success ....

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 18:21   #3
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Don't see why not?

Ask people to meet at the far end of every service station car park along the route, the convoy can then pull in and drive straight through and all the people waiting simply tag on the end?

Would be a sight to behold indeed
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 18:53   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Have to count me out as I will be down on an overnighter, no early start for me.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 20:14   #5
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I think it could be done - what you would need is a number of meeting up points along the routes with very specific timings and a designated person in each point in mobile phone contact with the rest in the chain to co-ordinate the groups coming together as the convoy progressed to the destination ...

So first decide on a number of staging posts and a possible route and see how many people could make those staging posts to see if you have any chance of success ....

Well .....Ive planted the seed so to speak......can we do it? is it worth making this an official club effort?

Jamie
Old 31st December 2006, 20:42   #6
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker in a suit View Post
Well .....Ive planted the seed so to speak......can we do it? is it worth making this an official club effort?

Jamie
Jamie

It can be in so far as the club is made up of its members If you wish to organise something via this thread go right ahead and I will help out where I can, I personally would love to be part of a convoy of 75's but Ken and I will be up early at the venue sorting everything out ready for the arrival of those nice 75s and ZTs

Perhaps taking a look at the postcodes of those coming would be a good first step to establish what route is the most likely route many would use, then establish waypoints along the route?

This could be discussed here to suit the memebrs who are up for it ...

As always we have to say be safe and stick to the highway code etc etc

in banana veritas
Old 31st December 2006, 21:05   #7
Jamie
Posted a thing or two

In Limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Jamie

It can be in so far as the club is made up of its members If you wish to organise something via this thread go right ahead and I will help out where I can, I personally would love to be part of a convoy of 75's but Ken and I will be up early at the venue sorting everything out ready for the arrival of those nice 75s and ZTs

Perhaps taking a look at the postcodes of those coming would be a good first step to establish what route is the most likely route many would use, then establish waypoints along the route?

This could be discussed here to suit the memebrs who are up for it ...

As always we have to say be safe and stick to the highway code etc etc
Myself and Keith were going to get small convoy started....so if anyone wants to organise local Convoys that meet up with us Enroute...that would perhaps the best way to do it rather than have 100 cars converge on a service station.....

I will be leaving Cheshire south bound on the M6 meeting up with Keith somewhere just south West of Birmingham....then probbaly along the M40 which is long...straght and pretty clear of traffic.

As you say, We will have to set some ground rules about road manners and speed limits....wouldnt want the club in hot water.

Jamie

Ps Any News on the New Flyer for the 4th Meet?
Old 31st December 2006, 21:54   #8
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Quote:

Ps Any News on the New Flyer for the 4th Meet?
I'm into my n-th Jacobs Creek Chardonney at the moment ... I'll try to remember tomorrow sometime!

in banana veritas
Old 31st December 2006, 22:44   #9
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
I will be leaving Cheshire south bound on the M6 meeting up with Keith somewhere just south West of Birmingham....then probbaly along the M40 which is long...straght and pretty clear of traffic.
Just south of Birmingham is ideal for me as I live just north of B'ham in Lichfield. You can count me in then. For that matter, all members in the area of Lichfield, Tamworth, Burton, Canock, B'ham, Sutton Coldfield etc could converge on that particular meeting point. We'd have to look into a specific meeting point/time and get some others on board too.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 00:37   #10
Paranoid Carlos
Posted a thing or two

Starlight CDT Conn SE

All above meet at the Bassets Pole and RAZZ past the Asda minworth to the spitfire island last one on the M6 at the clock garage is a P*ssy!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR
Paranoid Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote