Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th August 2009, 18:47   #1
justmicky
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Club SE

Default Insurance?

I have just gone through a stage of swapping insurances around, once again to get my son a policy so he has some "wheels" for the summer vacation. It has mean't me putting all my no claims bonus on a Fiesta etc etc.
Currently, my beloved 75 is uninsured and in the garage! Since I am paying insurance and tax for the missus car, sons car, I am looking to cut some corners!
My 75 is still taxed,just no insurance.Had a few quotes but nothing near what I expected (having used all my no claims bonuses). I have tried companies for "mirrored no claims" but nothing is working out.
I was tending to think maybe I could go down the route that I can insure my 75 for 24hrs when I go to meets etc. and keep her sort of semi layed up in between. But if I went down this route, how would I fare when it came to MOT and re-tax .i.e. no insurance in effect. Can I insure my car for 24 hrs to get the MOT and tax done?
justmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 18:49   #2
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmicky View Post
I have just gone through a stage of swapping insurances around, once again to get my son a policy so he has some "wheels" for the summer vacation. It has mean't me putting all my no claims bonus on a Fiesta etc etc.
Currently, my beloved 75 is uninsured and in the garage! Since I am paying insurance and tax for the missus car, sons car, I am looking to cut some corners!
My 75 is still taxed,just no insurance.Had a few quotes but nothing near what I expected (having used all my no claims bonuses). I have tried companies for "mirrored no claims" but nothing is working out.
I was tending to think maybe I could go down the route that I can insure my 75 for 24hrs when I go to meets etc. and keep her sort of semi layed up in between. But if I went down this route, how would I fare when it came to MOT and re-tax .i.e. no insurance in effect. Can I insure my car for 24 hrs to get the MOT and tax done?

The short term policies won't allow you to tax a car.....try either Halifax or Swiftcover, as we've mirrored NCB with one of them........
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 18:50   #3
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Hi Mike the car would probably need to be insured on the first day of the month you want your tax to start but once it's taxed then it doesn't matter (providing it's laid up obviously)

Regards Col
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 18:51   #4
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Disregard that last transmission
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 19:02   #5
justmicky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
The short term policies won't allow you to tax a car.....try either Halifax or Swiftcover, as we've mirrored NCB with one of them........

Not sure about Halifax, but swift cover was about £396 - More than quoted me £180 a few days back - should have took it cos when I rang today to take it....and went through all the process again.......apparently having an "under 25" on the first policy does not meet their criteria today! Result - £349 Mmmmmmmmm. Swinton will do me one £285 with £55 cash back after 3 months........guess its time to make a decision......not that I am "tight"......but I have to pay for the missus, my son etc so I want the best deal i can get!
Old 15th August 2009, 19:04   #6
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Not sure about Halifax, but swift cover was about £396 - More than quoted me £180 a few days back - should have took it cos when I rang today to take it....and went through all the process again.......apparently having an "under 25" on the first policy does not meet their criteria today! Result - £349 Mmmmmmmmm. Swinton will do me one £285 with £55 cash back after 3 months........guess its time to make a decision......not that I am "tight"......but I have to pay for the missus, my son etc so I want the best deal i can get!
Get the 75 MOT'd then SORN'd.....if you need insurance to get it to the MOT station then just do some day insurance....about £12
Old 15th August 2009, 19:10   #7
justmicky

Quote:
Get the 75 MOT'd then SORN'd.....if you need insurance to get it to the MOT station then just do some day insurance....about £12
Know where you are coming from....... but if I have the car Mot'd ok, but I then want to tax it after it being sorn'd.....how do I go on for proving insurance (for the taxing) if i am only doing the odd 24 hr insurance policy?
Old 15th August 2009, 19:17   #8
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Quote:
Know where you are coming from....... but if I have the car Mot'd ok, but I then want to tax it after it being sorn'd.....how do I go on for proving insurance (for the taxing) if i am only doing the odd 24 hr insurance policy?
Once you get it MOT'd, SORN it, then get it insured when you need to use it. Make sure you try and do it from the start of the month as that's when the tax starts
Old 15th August 2009, 19:26   #9
justmicky

Quote:
Once you get it MOT'd, SORN it, then get it insured when you need to use it. Make sure you try and do it from the start of the month as that's when the tax starts
Okay thanks. Guess in the end I will opt to insure just b4 the tax is due. Must b up and running for the geordie/yorkshire meet or Col will giv me some gip!
Old 15th August 2009, 21:14   #10
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Okay thanks. Guess in the end I will opt to insure just b4 the tax is due. Must b up and running for the geordie/yorkshire meet or Col will giv me some gip!
when you used your ncb to insure the car for your son, how come?
didn't know you could do that legally?