Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th August 2008, 12:11   #1
Ian V
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Diesel CDT Club SE. 1978 GS 750 Suzuki. 1989 VFR 750 Honda.

Default Faulty Fuel Gauge??

Hi

I have just bought a 2003 TD Rover 75 today (also joined this excellent site)

I filled the car full of diesel, then noticed that the gadge was only reading half full when I started the ignition? the journey home is about 37 miles during which the fuel gadge went up slightly, I just wondered if any one else had encountered this?

Thank You
Ian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 12:31   #2
Moonstone
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I've seen a few threads reporting this - you might find them if you try out the Search facility - but I can't recall seeing any result in a fix. There are two fuel senders in the tank (one on each side) with mechanical floats which produce electrical signals to the Instrument Cluster. The cluster is supposed to take an average of the two, though I'm not sure what it shows if one has failed, or been disconnected. Do you have any recent service history? Has the fuel tank pump been replaced?

The separate sender readings can be read from the Cluster using its built-in diagnostics. A search using "Cluster+diagnostics" might produce full details, but here's the basics:

Holding the trip reset button, turn the key to position I: the display shows "test 1.-".
Release and press the button repeatedly until the display shows "test 19.-": wait for it to change to "Log I -off" and press the button immediately.
Press the button repeatedly until you reach test 2. this will start the display test, which includes gauge operation. You may need to press and hold the button to get back to the main menu. Press again until you reach Test 6. The display shows test 6.0 for one of the sensors. Press the button again for 6.1 and again for 6.2 which shows the other sensor reading.
Moonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 13:17   #3
Ian V
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon Diesel CDT Club SE. 1978 GS 750 Suzuki. 1989 VFR 750 Honda.

Default Faulty Fuel Gadge??

Hi

Thanks for the advice. This is Ian's wife replying, as he is at work until midnight

Unfortunatley this is the first time we have purchased a car with no service history, so we don't know if the fuel tank has been replaced. But he will try what you have suggested tomorrow, I will let you know if he manages to fix it
Ian V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2008, 16:41   #4
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Welcome to the forums Ian & Wife

It has been said before that the float can get caught under one of the pump lines which has been know to happen when the pump has been replaced, if it is still doing it you might have to look under the back seat and have a play with the pump.
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote