Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th July 2015, 21:04   #11
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Is there an E46 equivalent for the ZT super mega sport diesel rear dampers?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 22:20   #12
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Is there an E46 equivalent for the ZT super mega sport diesel rear dampers?
Not sure I understand the question or if you are been serious.

If you are, and wanting to know if the extra power will affect/be affected by the shocks, then no. Unless yours is quicker or handles better than a 230HP BMW coupe or you intend doing some serious racing with it. Nor will shock-absorbers affect ride height or loading capacity.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 22:50   #13
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Not sure I understand the question or if you are been serious.

If you are, and wanting to know if the extra power will affect/be affected by the shocks, then no. Unless yours is quicker or handles better than a 230HP BMW coupe or you intend doing some serious racing with it. Nor will shock-absorbers affect ride height or loading capacity.
Perhaps I should of phrased it better - there are different dampers for different "configurations" of the 75 / ZT range. E.G. ZT sport, ZT comfort, 75 etc. There are identified with colours.

Obviously the E46 doesn't have this same convention, so I wondered if anyone had found an equivalent for the ZT diesel sports rear damper.

EDIT - And I mention engine not because of power, but because of weight - a 1.8 weighs a lot less than a diesel or V8 and so has different springs and dampers.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2015, 23:10   #14
spyder
This is my second home

Quote:
Perhaps I should of phrased it better - there are different dampers for different "configurations" of the 75 / ZT range. E.G. ZT sport, ZT comfort, 75 etc. There are identified with colours.

Obviously the E46 doesn't have this same convention, so I wondered if anyone had found an equivalent for the ZT diesel sports rear damper.

EDIT - And I mention engine not because of power, but because of weight - a 1.8 weighs a lot less than a diesel or V8 and so has different springs and dampers.
Comfort will be affected to a degree, yes. Weight has little or no affect on shocks within the parameters of the MGR variants, certainly not on the rears.
The front ones with diesel and 1.8's, maybe. But which is worse, a slightly harder or softer ride, or a set of badly worn shocks.
The BMW Monroe's I have fitted are harder reflex units and they do feel the bumps a bit more because they will react quicker but the improved handling is very noticeable.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
Old 15th July 2015, 05:40   #15
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:

The E46 3 Series, would have been available with both standard and "Sports" suspension from the factory and the dampers would definitely be different on both versions!

As the standard E46 is quite a firm ride, I would have though that the standard dampers would be fine for a ZT, as the "Sports" suspension, is absolutely rock hard and not really suitable for UK roads!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2015, 20:11   #16
spyder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
The E46 3 Series, would have been available with both standard and "Sports" suspension from the factory and the dampers would definitely be different on both versions!

As the standard E46 is quite a firm ride, I would have though that the standard dampers would be fine for a ZT, as the "Sports" suspension, is absolutely rock hard and not really suitable for UK roads!
Quite agree, by sifting through the extensive range of E36/46 units on ebay etc the choice is yours. For the price even if it is wrong it would not be a major expense to change them. I happened to get it right for my setup with the ones I posted.
Old 15th July 2015, 20:57   #17
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

A pair on Fleabay ..

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 10:57   #18
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedy View Post

Not sure I'd ever want to fit 2nd hand suspension parts to my car!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2015, 12:50   #19
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
Not sure I'd ever want to fit 2nd hand suspension parts to my car!
I don't fit secondhand parts as a rule of thumb but if they obviously look nearly new then I don't have a problem with it.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote