Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th February 2010, 20:17   #1
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Default why are there so many polish people in the uk?

I live in a block of 8 flats and 5 out of 8 are Polish. I'm not racist, far from it but it annoys me to see people coming to the uk and running about in their Polish registered cars and because they go back every 6 months not having to pay road tax, uk insurance or anything... but that's not my question, why are there so many here- it may be just an Edinburgh thing, but with Polski everywhere? What is so good about the UK>
Departed 32016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:23   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranswood View Post
I live in a block of 8 flats and 5 out of 8 are Polish. I'm not racist, far from it but it annoys me to see people coming to the uk and running about in their Polish registered cars and because they go back every 6 months not having to pay road tax, uk insurance or anything... but that's not my question, why are there so many here- it may be just an Edinburgh thing, but with Polski everywhere? What is so good about the UK>

Until recently there were jobs.....many are returning home now....If I was Polish I would have stayed over there..Polish women are often delightful to say the least... ...beautiful countryside too....

Last edited by Zeb; 24th February 2010 at 20:26..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:27   #3
Rover418275
Banned

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
This very same point came up on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today.

A caller said that he would need to earn £2000 after deductions to pay his mortgage etc. The minimum wage comes nowhere near this, but it does enable Poles and others to earn 3 times their wage back home. The caller said, if I could get a job that paid me 3 times what I am earning I would take it. Truth is our property market has distorted the cost of living with far too much of peoples' income being needed just to provide a roof over our heads.
Rover418275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:29   #4
jamesdark
Regular poster

04 Contemporary SE 1.8T

They are here because the average wage in poland works out at about £50 a week.
They tend to build there own houses there alot so they come over to save up.
At the end of the day if any of you had the chance to get a job abroad earning 5 times more than you could here and save enough to own your house outright After 5 years, your telling me you wouldn't do it, because i know i would in a flash if i had the balls, that is to move to a foreign country and get a job etc where i couldn't speak the lingo.
jamesdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:32   #5
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdark View Post
They are here because the average wage in poland works out at about £50 a week.
They tend to build there own houses there alot so they come over to save up.
At the end of the day if any of you had the chance to get a job abroad earning 5 times more than you could here and save enough to own your house outright After 5 years, your telling me you wouldn't do it, because i know i would in a flash if i had the balls, that is to move to a foreign country and get a job etc where i couldn't speak the lingo.
but they don't need to speak english...
Old 24th February 2010, 20:34   #6
jamesdark
Regular poster

04 Contemporary SE 1.8T

Quote:
but they don't need to speak english...
I know they don't that was part of my point they still do it though don't they, to improve there lives they make the sacrifice, most of them leave all there family etc to come here.
I couldn't do it.
jamesdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:37   #7
Departed
Retired

--

It's been a long term thing.

No-one has said anything nasty yet but please bear in mind that many members on here will get very upset if it does get that way as many of us have family with Polish roots.

For my part, my in laws are Polish, and came here in '46.

For the more recent, one of our Polish friends put it this way:

I can buy a washing machine for £200 in the UK or Poland, the same price. In the UK, that's a weeks wages, in Poland a months wages.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:40   #8
Departed 32016
This is my second home

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowedb View Post
It's been a long term thing.

No-one has said anything nasty yet but please bear in mind that many members on here will get very upset if it does get that way as many of us have family with Polish roots.

For my part, my in laws are Polish, and came here in '46.

For the more recent, one of our Polish friends put it this way:

I can buy a washing machine for £200 in the UK or Poland, the same price. In the UK, that's a weeks wages, in Poland a months wages.
I wasn't being nasty- My question really was what is so good about the uk, lets face it we would live for australia / new zeland in a heart beat
Old 24th February 2010, 20:45   #9
Departed
Retired

--

Quote:
I wasn't being nasty- My question really was what is so good about the uk, lets face it we would live for australia / new zeland in a heart beat
Yes, I understand you weren't, in fact I said no-one had.

Just that I've seen some threads like this get bad and have to be closed.
Departed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 20:56   #10
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Angry

Quote:
Because we are mugs in this Country & let every one else get away with anything they want, but don't worry as the British tax payer will bail out the Government (as usual).

Another thing - Why don't we have tolls etc on the M2 & M20 in Kent & A12 near Felixtowe then ALL foreighn vehicles would contribute as we do when we go over there!!
We are too soft here

This isn't being nasty either just realistic.
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote