Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th February 2020, 13:46   #10881
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Aluminium bolts would be fine, but good luck finding any.

Most practical solution is the extra aluminum strip, glued to the shield, then the entire area painted. (By which I mean, say 2cm past the edge of the strip onto the shield, plus the strip and the bolt head).
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 14:22   #10882
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Aluminium bolts would be fine, but good luck finding any.

Most practical solution is the extra aluminum strip, glued to the shield, then the entire area painted. (By which I mean, say 2cm past the edge of the strip onto the shield, plus the strip and the bolt head).
There's a good selection of aluminium bolts here - http://www.teknipart.co.uk/en/catalo...crews/a0013.a6. I'd need to check but I think the size is M6x20 (allowing a bit of extra length for the aluminium strip).
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 14:54   #10883
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Also plenty of aluminium bolts on eBay, they will be fine for the like of heat shields but be wary of using them anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28th February 2020, 15:29   #10884
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
The heat shields disintegrate because of a galvanic interaction between the aluminum shield and the steel bolts.

Stainless bolts will just make things worse
Mine looked like they were torn with no discoloration.

My solution was replacing the bolts, but using a blanking grommet with a hole. Aside from isolation the metals, it also acts as a shock absorber to the heat shield. 5 years on, and still looking the same as when I fitted them.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 16:59   #10885
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I am not convinced penny washers will help long term (in terms of a vibration tear), as I think it would simply move the tear further out, as the washer is a harder material than the heat shield. I do have both a grommet and penny washer. The grommet absorbing vibration, also (hopefully) acting as a sacrificial element, and the penny washer to spread the weight of the bolt tightened against it.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 17:08   #10886
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby View Post
Took it to the garage for a major service, trans fluid, brake fluids, antifreeze, oils and filters, belts etc etc plus new brakes , disks and tyres. All going well she’ll be good for a few more years yet while my wallet recovers
You never said you had won the lottery?
Old 28th February 2020, 22:45   #10887
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Drove mine back from Burton upon Trent after having the clutch replaced, nice to be back in the old girl, put the excellent sat nav system on the equally impressive xtrons unit so as not to get lost................58.8 miles later it found a gps signal, luckily by that time I knew where I was.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2020, 23:59   #10888
Rogue

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Drove mine back from Burton upon Trent after having the clutch replaced, nice to be back in the old girl, put the excellent sat nav system on the equally impressive xtrons unit so as not to get lost................58.8 miles later it found a gps signal, luckily by that time I knew where I was.

I have found my Xtrons unit locks on to the satellites quite quickly if you are stationary, normally within a few minutes but can take an age otherwise if driving.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT

Last edited by Rogue; 29th February 2020 at 20:11..
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 08:53   #10889
vitesse

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Was disappointed in the GPS reception of Xtrons compared to the old Win unit (had reception even inside my garage). Same sort of thing as you, in an unknown town I managed to find my way out before it found any satellites. Eventually took the whole thing out again, (not fun) and the upper part of the wooden panel with the clock. Relocated the aerial with 3M pads directly under the dashboard as near the windscreen as I could get, now much better.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2020, 10:15   #10890
Ched

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Was disappointed in the GPS reception of Xtrons compared to the old Win unit (had reception even inside my garage). Same sort of thing as you, in an unknown town I managed to find my way out before it found any satellites. Eventually took the whole thing out again, (not fun) and the upper part of the wooden panel with the clock. Relocated the aerial with 3M pads directly under the dashboard as near the windscreen as I could get, now much better.

Regards
The annoying thing is I have mine located in the windscreen, to the side of the mirror, not only looks neater the eye doesn’t get drawn to it.
I even stuck it in the centre of the screen to see if it made any difference, I wasn’t disappointed. 😂
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote