Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th November 2009, 09:26   #1
75ConSE
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE '02 Auto Saloon

Default Xtrons TD716G. Fault, or me being thick?!!

A few weeks ago, I bought one of these units. I either have a problem or there is something I am not doing correctly when I shut it down. So basically, I need to know if anyone else has this problem.

When I turn the key to start the engine, the unit resets itself and everything that is preset is lost (radio stations, sound preferences etc.). This does not happen every time, maybe 50% of the time. It doesn't seem to make a difference if the unit was last switched on when the key is removed or if it was in standby before. It also doesn't seem to make a difference if the unit is in standby or turned on before the key is turned to start the engine. Am I doing something wrong by not turning it off in a particular way or does it look like it has a fault? I have not added any wires or taken any away, I just plugged the symphony ISO plugs straight in to the units wiring ISO socket. Does it need a permanent battery feed rather than a switched one, or as well even? If so, wouldn't the LED on the front of the unit would be permanently on (and attract attention to it in the dark when the face isn't removed)?

This is the main niggling problem I have with the unit, amongst other little things that I will have to get used to, so if anyone can let me know if I am just being a thicko again, I would be very grateful!!

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE
'02 Auto Saloon.
Bright and Shiny Zircon Silver. Chrome is where the heart is!
75ConSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:39   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Not sure on this unit, but....
I would think as most units require a Permanent live feed for memory etc,
this could well be the problem.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 11:50   #3
75ConSE
Avid contributor

I did think the same but, when I thought about it, I realised that as the unit is switched from key position one to off, the feed is cut dead (for long periods of time... 2 or 3 days sometimes) and as it only does it 50% of the time and when it does, only when the key is turned from position 2 to engine start, I discounted that as being the problem.

'02 Auto Saloon.
Old 11th November 2009, 12:13   #4
JohnDotCom

Can anyone help or suggest a reason/solution for Paul Please?
Old 11th November 2009, 12:55   #5
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Can anyone help or suggest a reason/solution for Paul Please?
HI
Isnt the yellow wire the memory and needs a direct live with a fuse of course for the radio to keep all the preset stations but im not a expert so would wait for more info.Andrew,,
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 13:04   #6
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

Hi Paul,

I have an Xtrons as you know purchased from the seller blacksilvertech on ebay. Did you get your unit from him? I understand that when Tony_fry purchased his Xtron unit from that seller he gave him some excellent assistance in helping him set it up in the manner he wanted (hope I got that right).

Maybe Tony can help or indeed get in contact with Blacksilvertech, his location on eBay is Hong Kong but shipments do come from within the UK may well be worth sending him a question.

I'm trying to think how my system is wired. I'm fairly certain the Xtrons wiring plug just connected straight into the Harmony socket. I never switch my unit off at the unit itself just remove the key and it closes the screen and powers down and obviously the opposite when ignition is turned on. I've just been out to the car and there is no power to the head unit unless the ignition is switched on.

All my stored data has never been lost or defaulted back to factory settings when powered down even if the car has been left for a few days. Is there a soft reset on these devices maybe worth doing that!

No answers I know but hope helps in some way.

Last edited by Parker; 11th November 2009 at 13:13..
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 14:54   #7
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

As the problem appear to be when cranking the engine, I would suspect that the problem lies in voltage drops causing the power supply in the Xtron to fail providing sufficient rail voltage to the embedded computer which will respond with a hard reset.

That the memory is lost when that happens probably has to do with the operating system to do a "proper" shutdown or hibernate in order to successfully retain settings.

For example, the automotive power supply in my CarPC (a M2-ATX) will survive transient drops down to +6V, but anything below that the power to the PC will be cut to prevent damage to the PC (and PSU).

A weak battery will have a harder time dealing with the cranking currents. How old is yours?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 15:48   #8
75ConSE
Avid contributor

The battery is about 2 years old and is good at cranking. How about if it was the other way around and it got a sudden surge of current? I have discovered that it doesn't erase ALL of the memory. It still remembers whereabouts on the DVD I last played. The only things it seems to affect are the time, radio presets (don't know about TV, I haven't got a good enough signal yet) and sound preferences (equaliser etc.).

Parker, yes, I did get mine from BST. I have sent him an email and I am still waiting for a reply.

I would love to quiz someone else that has one of these units!

'02 Auto Saloon.
Old 11th November 2009, 15:55   #9
JohnDotCom

There is always the possibility that the unit has a fault.
Not an unusual occurrence.
Old 11th November 2009, 16:44   #10
bobthethird
Avid contributor

Rover75 CDT Saloon Auto

I had a fault with my D706G from this supplier. after talking to BST it was sent back and repaired, according to the repair data, a new main board was fitted. So yes there is a good possibility there is a fault in the unit.
BST are excellent with their aftersales service so you should soon get it fixed. I sent mine on Thursday last week and received it back today in full working order.

Bob.
bobthethird is offline   Reply With Quote