Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2011, 12:58   #21
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I don't know what they did or didn't do, but his company made computers less geeky and popular, and possible to own for hundreds of millions of people, either by hook or by crook, but most people own something with MS Windows on it. No many others can say that.

Last edited by topman; 6th October 2011 at 13:25..
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 13:17   #22
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by topman View Post
I don't know what they did or didn't do, but his company made computers less geeky and popular, and possible to own for hundreds of millions of people, either by hook or by crook, but most people on something with windows on it. No many others can say that.
Completely agree,

rovexCDTi you seem to forget that not everyone has the same capabilities on various platforms as you may possess.

My other half is the the complete opposite to me, Software development is my day job, therefore I am naturally drawn to looking to expand and experiment with various platforms, just as it sounds like you do.

She has had many phones, LGs you mention etc and since having the iPhone its the first time ever, she just gets it, because its well designed and simple to use.

So thanks to Steve Jobs, I no longer have to pull what little hair I have left out, trying to explain various things to her.

So cheers Steve iOwe you (sorry i puns are everywhere today)

Simon
Old 6th October 2011, 13:25   #23
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I think topmans comment was about Microsoft, not Apple unless i read it wrong.

Anyway i agree the iPhone does help a lot of people, what i object to is the rabid fanboyism and the total refusal to believed that Apple and Jobs didnt create the universe in 6 days and rested on the 7th.

I genuinely struggle to find a single thing thats genuinely innovative in the iPhone (rather than just easier), and why i get annoyed about the adulation Jobs gets for what is basically just convincing people to pay out more than they need to for their gear and making them think its a bargain. Thats his true skill.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:25   #24
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

That was exactly the point I was trying to make!
Apple products just WORK out of the box and any software you add later just works first time.

I don't have time to fiddle with computers etc, I just need them to work.
Apple has saved me hours of fiddling over the years for which I'm grateful

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 13:30   #25
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Apple products just WORK out of the box and any software you add later just works first time.

But i dont have to fiddle with mine either! I COULD have bought a PC from a shop and it would have been just the same. I agree in the Win95 days the PC could be a pain, but those days are long gone.

Apple product never really feel like they are mine, they feel like im renting them because they are inflexible and impersonal. The amount of customisation possible in the i-Devices is almost nil.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:35   #26
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
I think topmans comment was about Microsoft, not Apple unless i read it wrong.

Correct although jobs did it for small gadgety devices.

I genuinely struggle to find a single thing thats genuinely innovative in the iPhone (rather than just easier), and why i get annoyed about the adulation Jobs gets for what is basically just convincing people to pay out more than they need to for their gear and making them think its a bargain. Thats his true skill.
Totally agree.
My thoughts in blue.
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 16:10   #27
baughurst
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T, MGB, OH's MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post

I believe that the horse we are beating has already passed away.
Old 6th October 2011, 17:46   #28
payner75t
Gets stuck in

Saab 900 convertible,Ford Mondeo zetec tdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabett_Rover View Post
RIP Steve Jobs. In my view he at the head of Apple revolutionised consumer technology more in the last 10 years, than possibly in an other time. I think most households now have one or more Apple Products, typed from a Mac, whilst checking the time on an iPhone.
i don't !!!!!
payner75t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 19:21   #29
allegroman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Club SE: BRG, Deep Sea Green and plenty of options

Having read the wide range of comments made about Apple, thought I'd add something: personally I'm not interested in the iPhone or the iPad, but I would never buy a PC. I have to suffer the darn things at work, whereas at home I can get on with my computing needs at a pleasant to use, visually appealing and well built iMac (yes the Lenovo laptop I have at work was much cheaper, but it both looks and feels it).
I first used a Mac in 1991, when Windows was an incredibly dire product, and the tidy looking Mac, with it's simple yet clever visual interface (System 7, with such whimsical joys as the Dogcow and the Sosumi tone), won me over in a few minutes.
Old 6th October 2011, 21:14   #30
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

I work in mobile coms. Groan I hear you all say

Apple has indeed reinvented the wheel as I posted before.
Simplicity, speed and trust are the cornerstone of any company or product. And Apple do well here..their Net Promoter Score is one of the highest in the world!
While the iPhone of today is technically a generation or two behind the top spec Samsung or HTC. Apples infrastructure is lightyears ahead of the rest. For this reason and the amount of complaints I have to deal with on Droid handsets is why I presently stay away from them.
I also feel it unfair to compare sales of iOS against Droid..
1 product uses iOS. Against every other brand of phone who is encouraged to go Droid.. Bar Nokia, Blackberry(possibly joining Droid Market soon) or lesser known brands like Vertu. so that's a hefty chunk made by one type of phone.

I never wanted one.. Said yuk when it first reared it's head out of the silicon, but after owning and using an iPhone and right at this moment on my iPad, i wouldn't be without them.
Ease of use, speed and reliability puts my Blackberry to shame or my HTC, and don't get me started on my PC.
Windows is still the hackers and internet pirates Playgroud, and on phones too.
By the time my PC has booted, I have completed whatever the task was on my iPad and put it away!

Steve Jobs marketed a product well that was designed well. It works out of the box and while it has this walled garden approach, it's easier to use for most, because you can't go playing with this and that.
He made you WANT to own that product... That's a talent any CEO would want.

Thats my 5p worth. I'm getting ready for our pre orders to start in the morning. latest predictions on the front are 41% Droid and 67% Blackberry users will switch to iPhone 4S and iOS 5.

I did say prediction!

I shall let you all battle it out now

Regards. Steve.