Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2011, 09:50   #11
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Always sad when someone dies young from such a horrible disease, but as someone totally immune to Apples dubious and over priced charms i cant say i care any more than i would about any other random person.

Microsoft have done more for the computer industry and world at large than Apple, and recently have been a lot less 'evil'. Id morn Bill Gates more, especially considering his 'Gates Foundation' and 'The Giving Pledge' (of which Jobs wasn't a member). Sadly people view him as an 'evil' man.
Old 6th October 2011, 11:20   #12
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
Apples dubious and over priced charms i cant say i care any more than i would about any other random person.
Not sure how you quantify whether a unique product is "overpriced". It is the price it is. Apple products have always been way ahead of the market, certainly in terms of style. My first mp3 player (Creative Labs) did the same thing as a iPod but did not even come close to its style. Form will always win over function, just look at how quick the Fiat Multipla changed after launch! All the phone manufacturers are desperately playing catch up with Apple. 18 months ago there was no such thing as an iPad. I now have teachers telling me that they can't teach without one, now that really is creating a market from nowhere. Very few companies have been able to do that. Not bad for a college dropout.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:49   #13
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I dont like Apples style, so its a moot point. To me its over priced when more capable and powerful devices are cheaper. Its poor value is what im saying i guess.

There were pads before the iPad, the iPad was just the first one properly marketed as something we needed to own, when we didnt really if truth be told. I stil dont own a teblet of any type because i still think they are pointless and limited compared to a fully capable PC. Get me one that runs full windows (as the Windows 8 tablets will) and ill be interested, possibly. In the mean time my phone does everything an iPad can, and my notebook does a whole lot more.

Phone manufactures arent playing catch up to Apple at all. Nothing in an iPhone is new or exclusive to it. In fact even now it lacks some features that existed on Symbian and Windows mobile devices in 2001. iPhone was never the best selling platform either, Android overtook Symbian before Symbian fell behind iOS.

I dont doubt Jobs did some amazing things, but those things were mainly in the selling of the hardware rather than anything in the hardware itself, which is only average at best. In the media today he is anything from a genius to the second coming. I still prefer Bill Gates.

Last edited by rovexCDTi; 6th October 2011 at 11:54..
rovexCDTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:53   #14
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Seemed like he was a world class marketing man, created demand in areas that people couldn't even think of, packaged things right and created the right image for the company. Look at the queues starting days before for the latest thing, most CEOs would have given their right arm for such marketing.

Although I agree with roverex I've never had anything made by apple, the systems seem prohibitive to use, others products work just as well and I guess I'm not easily sucked into the whole marketing 'must have' thing. Oh yeah I'm from yorkshire too, so it was all far to bl**dy expensive for me

Last edited by topman; 6th October 2011 at 11:58..
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 12:15   #15
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
I dont like Apples style, so its a moot point. To me its over priced when more capable and powerful devices are cheaper. Its poor value is what im saying i guess.

There were pads before the iPad, the iPad was just the first one properly marketed as something we needed to own, when we didnt really if truth be told. I stil dont own a teblet of any type because i still think they are pointless and limited compared to a fully capable PC. Get me one that runs full windows (as the Windows 8 tablets will) and ill be interested, possibly. In the mean time my phone does everything an iPad can, and my notebook does a whole lot more.

Phone manufactures arent playing catch up to Apple at all. Nothing in an iPhone is new or exclusive to it. In fact even now it lacks some features that existed on Symbian and Windows mobile devices in 2001. iPhone was never the best selling platform either, Android overtook Symbian before Symbian fell behind iOS.

I dont doubt Jobs did some amazing things, but those things were mainly in the selling of the hardware rather than anything in the hardware itself, which is only average at best. In the media today he is anything from a genius to the second coming. I still prefer Bill Gates.
If you look at the style of the phones being sold in 2007 when the iPhone came out and compare them to the way they look now ie iPhone look-a-likes. Believe me that is playing catchup.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 12:22   #16
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

The iPhone wasnt the first large flat touch phone and the basic shape is a necessity for a touch enabled phone, so its hardly revolutionary. If anything the iPhone copied the LG viewty.
Much is made of how similar Samsungs phones are, but actually they are just an evolution of Samsung phones out before the iPhone, in markets other than the US and UK. Go back further and we had the Ericsson P900, Motorola A920 and countless others. The iPhone was not the first phone of its type, size or shape, not even close.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:41   #17
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Very sad that Steve one of the Richest men in the world couldn't buy his health back.

Written on a 3 year old MAC (which hasn't slowed down from day 1 !!)
Macs don't need defraging nor do they catch viruses so a whole lot of time saved for me in the last 3 years had it been a PC.
The extra cost is worth it in the long term for trouble free computing.
(I still use my old PC so best of both worlds)

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 12:52   #18
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

My PC is overclocked to the limit, by about 50% in fact and i have no problems. It runs perfectly, boots in 15 seconds and is totally virus free. I made it myself for half the price of a Mac that approaches its spec, but doesnt match it.

Macs DO need defragging actually, they do it automatically, as does Windows since XP. Having said that mine doesnt because it has a solid state hard drive that really shouldn't be and doesnt need to be defragged, because it works differently.

So much Apple fanaticism is based on old information or a lie.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:53   #19
baughurst
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T, MGB, OH's MG ZT-T

Quote:
Microsoft have done more for the computer industry and world at large than Apple, and recently have been a lot less 'evil'. Id morn Bill Gates more, especially considering his 'Gates Foundation' and 'The Giving Pledge' (of which Jobs wasn't a member). Sadly people view him as an 'evil' man.

Propaganda! Gates was always hanging on to Jobs coat tails and neither of them would have made dollar one without the work done by Xerox's Palo Alto research lab.
Old 6th October 2011, 12:57   #20
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by baughurst View Post
Propaganda! Gates was always hanging on to Jobs coat tails and neither of them would have made dollar one without the work done by Xerox's Palo Alto research lab.
Maybe so, but the results speak for themselves . The Gates foundation is the measure of the man. Microsoft is still the larger company despite the market cap figures (which are basically meaningless in real terms and could swing dramatically on a daily basis).