Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2008, 11:37   #1
majedm75
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5V6+Auto - Pack Luxe & Sterling

Default London on X-mas

Hi,

SWMBO decided that we should have a trip to London on next X-mas vacations. We already came over to London in 2006 (one day only before the Club Meet in Beaulieu in May 2006). It was a Saturday and driving around London was a nightmare (trafic jams and parking wise).
My questions:
Would it be better to come over by car (from Paris) and leave her in a parking (hotel or other) then go around in Taxis and public transportations?
Or come over by Eurostar and leave the car home and use public transportations and taxis as well...
Planning to stay a week maximum.
(Off course having the 75 with us would be a reason to go for a countryside getaway , but it's the parking and driving in London part that I'm not eager to...)
Any thoughts?
majedm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 11:41   #2
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

The general traffic Congestion in parts of london are horrendous, plus Congestion Charges Parking Restrictions and costs to park could make it an expensive trip.

The M25 is free to park for about 8 Hours but no Shops!!

I would either Park in a Hotel car park, ensuring they have one, and Use public Transport, Taxi's are an arm and leg cost.

Or Eurostar and again public transport (tube and buses) which may restrict the amount of things she can buy due to problem carrying them all.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 11:44   #3
majedm75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Or Eurostar and again public transport (tube and buses) which may restrict the amount of things she can buy due to problem carrying them all.
She never had a problem carrying shopping things (guess who's going to be the porter )
Old 20th October 2008, 12:41   #4
Sancho
Loves to post

Mercedes 220SE Coupe, Mitsubishi Delica, Nissan Micra

As someone who lives in London, I can say you'd be insane to try and drive.

You can get a tube pretty much anywhere that you'd want to go and there's nothing to stop you hiring a car if you do want to get out of town, although you can probably get a train.

In short, you won't be able to use the car once you're here, so you may as well get the Eurostar in the first place. Far faster and more relaxing. Go first class (it's only about 25 euros extra) and they will feed you and give you as much drink as you want too.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 14:23   #5
kevin

ford focus ghia

I drive a lot in London. as a bus driver, but would never take my car in there im not that mad. no where to park £8 per day Congestion Charges.

have a look here on how to get arould.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

when going out please know how to get home, the bus driver may not know where you are staying or how to get there.
( if he looks up says that one over there its to get you off the bus) if you say I dont know. you get the reply but you a bus driver.

enjoy your stay.

Last edited by kevin; 20th October 2008 at 14:32..
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 16:31   #6
majedm75

Like I said in my first post, I was not intending to drive around in London, it was too traumatic back in 2006 . The car, if taken would only be used to travel from/to Paris and an eventual getaway outside London before returning back to the Channel...
I personally use (and prefer) the public transportations daily in Paris and surroundings. I guess I'll have to calculate the various options:
- Coming over to/back from London by car (including petrol, toll on French roads , and Shuttle crossing vs. 5 seats in Eurostar (we have a guest coming with us).
- Parking for 5 days in hotel parking (last time we came it was 10 GBP per 24 hrs in hotel parking in Docksland near the Excel Center, but we also had to use the car to get around in London and paid few parkings around town...)
- Public Transportations for 5 for 5 days.

Just thought of this: with a large boot as the 75's, this would encourage SWMBO for more shopping, while if we do not take the car, we would be limited to suitcases space ...
Old 20th October 2008, 17:40   #7
Kartoffelone
Regular poster

75 saloon, 2.5V6 Connoisseur, Auto 2002

sounds stupid but it's meant seriously:
why don't you come over by car, leave it in my road (no parking fees/ restrictions), take the tube (25 min into central london, next station 7min on foot, less if it's raining) and enjoy London shopping without car but rover not too far away when ever you want?

Of course, it's at your own risk but in the past 4 years I've been living here, no car was broken in and I know most of my neighbours, so there will be an unofficial 24/7 neighbourhood watch scheme

When I go over to Germany to visit my family for a couple of days with the intention to bring back lots of good food, drinks etc , I do similar (not flying but driving and of course, it's different as I know the people where I park and you don't know me...yet :lol.

another pro: car wash round the corner and next (and recommended) mgr garage (ridgeway garages enfield) 10 min drive away
Kartoffelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 20:58   #8
majedm75

Hi Kartoffelone,

I might just consider your nice offer. I'll give you more information later on.

On the other hand, I have a question concerning the Congestion Charge:
Must one pay this tax everyday even if the car is parked somewhere in a London parking and not used for the day?
Old 21st October 2008, 10:13   #9
Kartoffelone
Regular poster

75 saloon, 2.5V6 Connoisseur, Auto 2002

You just pay when you enter the c-charge zone during its hours of operation (7-6, mo-fr).
i.e. if you enter after 6PM and stay there the next day(s), no charge(s) applies provided you don't leave and re-enter the zone (during ops hrs).
c-charging is being monitored through cameras while entering on every access street.
however, it will be difficult to find a place to park in central london which is free of charge or free of risk or any restrictions.

on the other hand (but this is no serious advice ), you (still) have the 'advantage' of having foreign plates (i guess). I think, only from 2009 UK authorities can trace the owners of non-UK registered vehicles within the EU and enforce any outstanding charges/ fines (so in the meantime, "oh lala - je ne sais pas" still applies ).

Have a look on the c-charge website for all details:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cong...g/default.aspx

BTW, (but this will not help you), usually the mayor lifts the c-charge between xmas and new year.

salut, jay :lol:
Kartoffelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 10:58   #10
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

...for Rover 75s, don't they just salute and wave you through?

you could just get all your shopping together and mail/courier it back to France - it might be cheaper overall! Cars are a hassle and you've always got the worry of them breaking down or not starting...
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote