Notices

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2008, 01:40   #21
Chris Russell
Avid contributor

Rover 1.8 Clubse 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
And when you fall foul of this type of trader. What then? Bite the bullet, suffer the loss?
Would you really forgo the pleasure of your statutory rights?

Edit:- I note from you public profile you are a motor trader.
Yer bite the bullet if you buy a car on the cheap "sold as seen" you know full well what that means it could be ok or a heap of rubbish when people buy these cars sold as seen and nothing goes wrong you wouldn't go back in 12 month time and give him more money for selling a good car. It was a part exchange not a retail car i've fallen foul of this myself in september i sold a G reg fiesta part exchange for £100 tax and tested "sold as seen" in november the bloke came knocking on my door with an invoice for a new exhaust £127. In some cases the dealer does rip people off but not all are alike if you want a car that you can take back if anything goes wrong dont buy one sold as seen but expect to pay more.

Dont know what your getting at by noting that i'm a motor trader dont do much anymore but when i did 90 odd % of my customers where repeat or reffered customers i've sold over 200 cars and only 3 complaints
Old 26th May 2008, 08:15   #22
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I think the Point of Thread is regardless of what is written on receipt,
The Consumer now has full protection of the Law
and "Sold as seen" cannot be used to dispose of anything cheaply anymore, working properly or otherwise.
Many traders are ending up in Court now due to not understanding the Current Trading/selling Laws.
Ignorance as they say is no excuse.
They (Laws) are there for everybody,
but do now give much better Protection to the Purchaser.

But....

If its Cheap,
Its not going to be a Rolls Royce standard and IMHO shouldn't be expected.
Old 26th May 2008, 11:58   #23
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Russell View Post
Sorry to go against everyone else but you shouldn't be getting the garage to look at it, you where happy to sign an agreement knowing what he was on about when he said sold as seen too many people go looking for bargains then look for someone else to blame when things go wrong when you buy a car on the cheap its a risk you take you win some you lose some legally you may be in the right but morally you knew what you agreed to ( sorry if i've caused offence )
it was a grand so not overly cheap for a citreon. TBH i knew nothing about the law on sold as seen, so obviuosly the trader has tried to pull the wool over our eyes. If it where you and you found out you where protected and you thought you weren't, would you just let it lie and say "oh well".nah, i doubt it.nothing was mentioned as sold as seen in the advert, it was for sale on the forecourt so not tucked away with the rest of the rubbish. Its in good nick so we decided to take a risk on the sold as seen, (which was only mentioned when my wife went to pay for it). Luckily my mechanic friend checked it over and all seemed ok. In the end we found it to be the spark plugs and was cheaper to fix ourselves than to take back to the garage. This was from a main dealer so they would have been well aware of the law, but decided to take a risk on us not following it up, how many people out there have bought a motor sold as seen, only to have it go wrong soon after and not done anything about it as they think they can't.

Last edited by deano78; 26th May 2008 at 12:04..
Old 26th May 2008, 12:02   #24
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

Ooooohh a subject close to my heart.

I'm struggling right now with a trader (and a finance company). I didn't buy the car as "sold as seen", instead bought it for top whack, only to find the clutch and flywheel US (on a 28,000 mile car). The hydraulics were replaced under warranty but I am being expected to fork out for 1/2 the clutch and 1/2 the flywheel. The clutch I can accept some betterment costs on as it is a wearing part. The flywheel however should IMO last the lifetime of the engine. Consequently I have involved Trading Standards and written to both the dealer and the finance company asking to return the car and get a FULL refund. I am still waiting 1 month later whilst the car sits in a parking space doing nothing.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:12   #25
Chris Russell
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post
it was a grand so not overly cheap for a citreon. TBH i knew nothing about the law on sold as seen, so obviuosly the trader has tried to pull the wool over our eyes. If it where you and you found out you where protected and you thought you weren't, would you just let it lie and say "oh well".nah, i doubt it.nothing was mentioned as sold as seen in the advert, it was for sale on the forecourt so not tucked away with the rest of the rubbish. Its in good nick so we decided to take a risk on the sold as seen, (which was only mentioned when my wife went to pay for it). Luckily my mechanic friend checked it over and all seemed ok. In the end we found it to be the spark plugs and was cheaper to fix ourselves than to take back to the garage. This was from a main dealer so they would have been well aware of the law, but decided to take a risk on us not following it up, how many people out there have bought a motor sold as seen, only to have it go wrong soon after and not done anything about it as they think they can't.
how on earth can you say he pulled the wool over your eyes you had someone look over the car yourself your words "so we decided to take a risk on the sold as seen" so you knew full well what he meant by sold as seen if it was 10 years ago nobody would bat a eye lid but todays culture is if something goes wrong try to pass on the blame and get them to foot the bill your mechanic found no faults so how can his the car was sold in good faith and yes i've bought cars sold as seen that went bang soon after and i just took it on the chin and knew i could do something about it but i knew it was a risk when i bought it
Old 26th May 2008, 13:18   #26
cjmillsnun
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTi & MGZT+ CDTi 135

Quote:
how on earth can you say he pulled the wool over your eyes you had someone look over the car yourself your words "so we decided to take a risk on the sold as seen" so you knew full well what he meant by sold as seen if it was 10 years ago nobody would bat a eye lid but todays culture is if something goes wrong try to pass on the blame and get them to foot the bill your mechanic found no faults so how can his the car was sold in good faith and yes i've bought cars sold as seen that went bang soon after and i just took it on the chin and knew i could do something about it but i knew it was a risk when i bought it
Look, it's quite simple. You have rights as a consumer. Why the hell shouldn't you exercise those rights. "Sold as seen" is illegal.
Old 26th May 2008, 13:39   #27
Chris Russell
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
Look, it's quite simple. You have rights as a consumer. Why the hell shouldn't you exercise those rights. "Sold as seen" is illegal.
no its about someone being chuffed to bits at getting a bargain but when something goes wrong start crying like a girl because as a dealer they are seen as easy targets would you be knocking on someone's door if you bought it private. What do expect for £1000 there are some dealers that do rip people off but he had it checked over himself and no faults found so why should the dealer thats selling a cheap car be held reponsible bottom line is if you want a car that you can take back if something goes wrong pay more money dont go looking for cheapies
Old 26th May 2008, 13:55   #28
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

Quote:
he was a trader, a main dealer, so he must have known trading standards view it as illegal to right sold as seen on an invoice to the public, yet he tried it anyway in the hope we wouldnt check it out and go back. i'd love to be in a position to havea grands worth of car blow up and "take it on the chin". ten years ago it wasnt illegal to drive whilst on your phone, thing change. we had the car 2 days and the engine management light came on, so damn right i wanted them to foot the bill. "pay more money and dont go looking for cheapies"?! a grand! lol. yeah poor motor traders must be having it tough if a grand is considered cheap.

Last edited by deano78; 26th May 2008 at 13:58..
Old 26th May 2008, 14:05   #29
Sancho
Loves to post

Mercedes 220SE Coupe, Mitsubishi Delica, Nissan Micra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmillsnun View Post
Yep. This is indeed the simple fact of the matter. A person shouldn't set up in business as a motor trader if they are unwilling to accept a buyer's statutory rights and 'cry like a girl' when the buyer comes back to legitimately exercise those rights.
Old 26th May 2008, 14:20   #30
Chris Russell
Avid contributor

Simple fact you bought the car sold as seen understanding full well what that meant and yes £1000 is cheap for a car if you didn't understand or didn't want it sold as seen why didn't you tell him you don't want it sold as seen and pay more money i've had people tell me they dont want it sold as seen so i add £200 some times i win sometimes i lose its a RISK sold as seen is illegal but these dealers have done it this way for years its only recently that people have started to try and claim its the culture of the country would you be happy to see sold as scrap on the invoice which is what i put on there and have done since back end of last year to replace sold as seen we clearly have different views on this subject as we are from different sides of the fence