Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th February 2012, 22:17   #11
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK View Post
I'm hardly surprised that the 'muppet' that fitted the tow bar broke one of the rear light clips.
They are not at all strong and very inflexible.
I bought a couple of genuine clips from the x MG dealer in Taunton and I managed to break both trying to get the lamp on.
I fitted them in the body and offered the lamp up.
Perhaps it would have been better to place them on the lamp fittings first and then locating them in the sockets on the body.

Has anyone else found that these clips are naff ?
Absolute rubbish,I found that opening out the socket with a drill helped.
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 22:49   #12
JEK
Avid contributor

Car sold to club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffWW View Post
Hi,

I bought four of these white "sockets" before Christmas (not sure who from - Rimmers or South Lakes) because I had to replace the large black plastic bracket that the small screw on the outer end of the loading edge, below the light unit, screws into.

As said above - naff , -- very poorly sized both for the hidden body mounting clips and the pin socket

Thinking of wanting to avoid breaking the new one to be used, (the other unbroken old one appeared to be a better fit than the new ones), I placed it in a mug of very hot water to try to soften it up, in readiness for the ball on the end of the mounting pin. No luck, - it still broke one of the sides off whilst inserting the pins ball-end, even with vaseline applied to ease fitting.

On whether to fit them on to the body first, I found the hidden securing clips were too close to the "baseplate" and would not open out once pushed through the square hole. I tried it " both ways" but no difference either way. To remedy this, I used the edge of a junior hacksaw blade to "file" a very small amount of the end of each clip, trying the fit, then removing more until it cleared the thicknes of the metal edges around the hole, and locked in.

For the sphere on the end of the mounting pin, I opened up the shoulders of the socket, with a round file to make it easier for the the pin end to be pressed in "by hand". This also allowed removal by a straight gentle pull, rather than a major levering operation, putting the whole light unit and clips at risk of being damaged because of the heavy forces formerly required

I was glad I purchased 4. But at the price charged (should have been letter post), they should fit exactly and not require micro engineering to make them fit properly.

Best of luck,

Geoff.
So, it wasn't just me then.
I will get some more (although they are somewhat overpriced for such a poorly made item) and try your 'micro engineering' tactics, Geoff.
Thanks for the info on this.
JEK
Old 15th February 2012, 22:52   #13
JEK
Avid contributor

Car sold to club member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3disco View Post
Absolute rubbish,I found that opening out the socket with a drill helped.
I'll give that a try as well, 3disco.
JEK
Old 15th February 2012, 23:43   #14
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

What on earth are you guys on about? Can someone post a picture of these clips please?
Vanbursta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 15:34   #15
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

I'll add my voice to those saying what rubbish the clips are

Finally got round to looking at the rear lamp today, and went to use one of the four new clips I have bought

Put it into the body, pushed the lamp housing home. Crack.....

Thought I'd try it with the clip on the ball first. Went to push the lamp home. Crack.....

Reverted to Plan A, hoping it was a one-off that the clip had broken. Nope. Crack.....

So, I have one clip left and daren't try to fit it

What a pile of cack. Does anyone have an alternative solution, ideally using something made of metal?

NB: I think the originals, although flawed, are far superior to their modern cousins. I would complain to the vendor, but I can't see they'd give me the time of day
Old 27th February 2012, 03:02   #16
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Rear Lights-Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
What on earth are you guys on about? Can someone post a picture of these clips please?
This refers to the fixings on the tourer specifically. Your Avatar doesn't say which you have
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 03:18   #17
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_dave&gill View Post
I'll add my voice to those saying what rubbish the clips are
Finally got round to looking at the rear lamp today, and went to use one of the four new clips I have bought
Put it into the body, pushed the lamp housing home. Crack.....
Thought I'd try it with the clip on the ball first. Went to push the lamp home. Crack.....
Reverted to Plan A, hoping it was a one-off that the clip had broken. Nope. Crack.....
So, I have one clip left and daren't try to fit it
What a pile of cack. Does anyone have an alternative solution, ideally using something made of metal?
NB: I think the originals, although flawed, are far superior to their modern cousins. I would complain to the vendor, but I can't see they'd give me the time of day
Ah. But they would if it was a £100 or £200 part and wasn't selling..........
While expensive for what they are I can imagine why they are, it's a small run & holding stock that pushes up the price.
Puzzling they haven't addressed it & can't imagine why it passed Xpart quality control, which would appear to be stric,t as they have declined to stock the Powerflex Red Lower Mount Bush citing unsatisfactory quality.
I think they would really prefer to sell you a complete mount for £90.
I would have thought they could have tied up an exclusive deal with Powerflex originally.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 07:21   #18
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

As far as the light clips are concerned, I'm surprised some enterprising and mechanically gifted bod on here has not come up with a stronger alternative!!
Old 28th February 2012, 11:24   #19
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
Puzzling they haven't addressed it & can't imagine why it passed Xpart quality control,
Strange but when we got a random selection of clips, a tail light unit and tested the fit to a tourer bodyshell we also have knocking about, they all fitted without one breaking. I must have fitted about four or so, our quality inspector fitted another 4 and on the day we also had a repected Technical representative from the MGOC. He also fitted half dozen without breaking any.

We fitted the clip to the light first. Push them on straight and they popped straight on. Tight yes but they are supposed to be.

Why they fail in service is a mystery !
Old 28th February 2012, 12:00   #20
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPart02 View Post
Strange but when we got a random selection of clips, a tail light unit and tested the fit to a tourer bodyshell we also have knocking about, they all fitted without one breaking. I must have fitted about four or so, our quality inspector fitted another 4 and on the day we also had a repected Technical representative from the MGOC. He also fitted half dozen without breaking any.

We fitted the clip to the light first. Push them on straight and they popped straight on. Tight yes but they are supposed to be.

Why they fail in service is a mystery !
I'd like to point out that mine came from South Lakeland Minis, although I guess they are the same?

Bought four, three snapped in trying to fix the light back on , daren't try the last one, light currently held on by willpower....